MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jumper K

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Jumper K » 10 Jul 2020, 05:31

Six String wrote:
Jumper K wrote:
Six String wrote:I started a little food experiment today with the plums from the backyard. I have way too many to possibly eat and they are small this year so I've decided to cook them down in a slowcooker without adding sugar or anything else. That way I can try some different flavoring approaches, both savory and sweet to see what works. I'll freeze the pulp in small batches to preserve them and bring some out when the mood strikes and play around with it. I don't really want to make jam with it so that's why I'm giving this a go. Last year I put some in my dehydrater but it made a sticky mess in the process so I thought I'd try this. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

Are they plums or damsons les? I’m thinking either could nicely be added to some gin or vodka.

After thinking on this a few minutes it dawned on me that you might have meant a plum/vodka infusion? Initially I was thinking of my purée and adding it to a cocktail but that probably wouldn't work very well. Packing a large jar with plums and filling it with vodka and allowing it get acquainted sounds like the better idea. The tree still has plenty of plums so that is still possible. Thoughts?

Thats exactly what I was thinking of Les. Like Sloe Gin.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 12 Jul 2020, 12:15

Jimbly wrote:Second bout of gout in three weeks. I wouldnt mind so much if I'd been absolutely hammering it. Been fairly sensible in my diet and have barely drank any booze.

and back again.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 12 Jul 2020, 12:30

Know people who suffers with/from it and you have my sympathies.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 12 Jul 2020, 16:14

Thanks, think it might be heading for permanent medication.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Jul 2020, 17:25

One of my ex work mates got it towards the end of his career. My sympathies Jim. Hope it gets under control soon.

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Jul 2020, 06:06

Today when I went out the front door to check my mail I had a hummingbird fly up to me before I got completely out of the door. He hovered within inches of my face with a buddy hovering a foot or two behind him and he was making those chirpy sounds they do with their wings. My feeder was empty and had been for a while and I guess they were furious about it. It's been between 100 - 106 F the last few days and I'm sure the flowers have shutdown their nectar making so they were probably very hungry. So I went in the house and made their syrup and cooled it down in the fridge so I could get it out there asap. Nothing like getting bullied by tiny birds to make you move. I've had them fly that close to my face before but this felt different.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Jul 2020, 06:13

Six String wrote:Today when I went out the front door to check my mail I had a hummingbird fly up to me before I got completely out of the door. He hovered within inches of my face with a buddy hovering a foot or two behind him and he was making those chirpy sounds they do with their wings. My feeder was empty and had been for a while and I guess they were furious about it. It's been between 100 - 106 F the last few days and I'm sure the flowers have shutdown their nectar making so they were probably very hungry. So I went in the house and made their syrup and cooled it down in the fridge so I could get it out there asap. Nothing like getting bullied by tiny birds to make you move. I've had them fly that close to my face before but this felt different.

:lol:

Avian entitlement!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jul 2020, 01:02

Six String wrote:Today when I went out the front door to check my mail I had a hummingbird fly up to me before I got completely out of the door. He hovered within inches of my face with a buddy hovering a foot or two behind him and he was making those chirpy sounds they do with their wings. My feeder was empty and had been for a while and I guess they were furious about it. It's been between 100 - 106 F the last few days and I'm sure the flowers have shutdown their nectar making so they were probably very hungry. So I went in the house and made their syrup and cooled it down in the fridge so I could get it out there asap. Nothing like getting bullied by tiny birds to make you move. I've had them fly that close to my face before but this felt different.

Fantastic! :lol:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jul 2020, 01:04

we had an arborist out today. (Six words I never thought I would write.)
He was ace. He has drawn a map of everything, and is really excited about our two oldest trees in the middle of the back yard which he thinks are going to last another 600 years. He is a real tree hugger and I love the idea of someone who really adores trees pruning our shit!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Jul 2020, 01:25

Minnie the Minx wrote:we had an arborist out today. (Six words I never thought I would write.)
He was ace. He has drawn a map of everything, and is really excited about our two oldest trees in the middle of the back yard which he thinks are going to last another 600 years. He is a real tree hugger and I love the idea of someone who really adores trees pruning our shit!

In my experience it really makes a difference if one cares about their trees. I love your backyard and glad you have made this decision. Yes, we are tree huggers. :oops: :)

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jul 2020, 01:29

Six String wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:we had an arborist out today. (Six words I never thought I would write.)

In my experience it really makes a difference if one cares about their trees. I love your backyard and glad you have made this decision. Yes, we are tree huggers. :oops: :)

Yeah! Well we bought the house really because of the backyard. It's brought me so much peace and happiness during these weird times- I feel like we are showing it some love finally. Well, once I stop pissing in it when I've had a beer or five.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Jul 2020, 04:16

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Six String wrote:

Yeah! Well we bought the house really because of the backyard. It's brought me so much peace and happiness during these weird times- I feel like we are showing it some love finally. Well, once I stop pissing in it when I've had a beer or five.

That's what trees do and that's part of why we're tree huggers. Rebecca could go on and on about this.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 15 Jul 2020, 05:06

Minnie the Minx wrote:I feel like we are showing it some love finally. Well, once I stop pissing in it when I've had a beer or five.

:|
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Jul 2020, 05:12

You want her to keep pissing in it?

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Jul 2020, 05:39

Charlie O. wrote:You want her to keep pissing in it?

It's the nitrogen man! (And a little vodka too which makes them sway a bit more in the breeze. :P )

Flower

Postby Flower » 15 Jul 2020, 13:54

I just saw two cocoons (looks like Red Admirals) on my Russian Sage this morning. I've never seen any cocoons on the Russian Sage before this morning. I have seen some Red Admirals in the back garden. :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 15 Jul 2020, 14:40

I've driven over to my accountants, as the registered postal service is so unreliable to deliver my tax return which I'm doing uber early in case I get sick.

He has multiple clients going bankrupt and is up to his eyes in their case work.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jul 2020, 01:54

Plums and vodka are happily infusing with cinnamon sticks and some lemon peel.

Six String

Postby Six String » 17 Jul 2020, 04:32

The hummingbirds are really happy since the cafe opened back up. I just had two on the feeder at the same time which doesn't happen a lot. Sharing is not something they do very well but it's dusk so the dinner hour will over soon.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 18 Jul 2020, 00:34

Six String wrote:Plums and vodka are happily infusing with cinnamon sticks and some lemon peel.
Mmmm. sounds great Les.