MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2424
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Rorschach » 08 Apr 2020, 14:01

I ordered Marmite and decaf tea from Amazon because the shop I normally buy them from is about ten blocks from my house and I'm scared I'll get fined by the police for walking too far from my home.

It does happen here.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 11054
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Glad Tidings Mission Hall

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Samoan » 08 Apr 2020, 14:42

Marmite is pretty hard to get hold of where I shop so I'm on the vastly inferior Vegemite.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31229
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Apr 2020, 15:53

We paid $14 for a bottle of HP sauce via Amazon because we didn't want to go to the one place in Austin that sells it.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Positive Passion
Posts: 1175
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Positive Passion » 13 Apr 2020, 17:16

I am making some millionaire shortbread. Anyone want some?

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 11054
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Glad Tidings Mission Hall

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Samoan » 13 Apr 2020, 17:59

Positive Passion wrote:I am making some millionaire shortbread. Anyone want some?

Oh yes please!
I've nothing sweet in except some caster sugar and a tin of Lyle's golden syrup. I can send ingredients.

Positive Passion
Posts: 1175
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Positive Passion » 13 Apr 2020, 19:02

Samoan wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:I am making some millionaire shortbread. Anyone want some?

Oh yes please!
I've nothing sweet in except some caster sugar and a tin of Lyle's golden syrup. I can send ingredients.


If you chuck the sugar and golden syrup into a pan with a chunk of butter and simmer for fifteen minutes I think you would get a decent approximation of caramel.

Six String
Posts: 20860
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 13 Apr 2020, 20:36

Positive Passion wrote:I am making some millionaire shortbread. Anyone want some?


What do you mean by "millionaire" shortbread? Double sifting? Special flour or butter?

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 11054
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Glad Tidings Mission Hall

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Samoan » 13 Apr 2020, 21:17

Positive Passion wrote:
Samoan wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:I am making some millionaire shortbread. Anyone want some?

Oh yes please!
I've nothing sweet in except some caster sugar and a tin of Lyle's golden syrup. I can send ingredients.


If you chuck the sugar and golden syrup into a pan with a chunk of butter and simmer for fifteen minutes I think you would get a decent approximation of caramel.


:idea:
:)

Positive Passion
Posts: 1175
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Positive Passion » 13 Apr 2020, 21:24

Six String wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:I am making some millionaire shortbread. Anyone want some?


What do you mean by "millionaire" shortbread? Double sifting? Special flour or butter?


Shortbread topped with a layer of soft caramel and a layer of chocolate.

Here's what I made:

Image

Six String
Posts: 20860
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 13 Apr 2020, 22:54

Wow, looks tasty. Sign me up. :)

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21281
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Jimbly » 13 Apr 2020, 23:10

Its horrible. I'm Scottish and it's far too sweet for me. Coats your teeth with fur.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 28475
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby toomanyhatz » 14 Apr 2020, 01:03

Gave up processed sugar for lent. Not that I'm particularly observant, but I kind of felt like doing it for myself anyway, and I do like ritual, as I've probably mentioned a few times down the years here.

Anyway, Easter morning I ate a delicious chocolate swirl pastry (basically the same as a cinnamon roll, only filled with chocolate rather than cinnamon). I enjoyed it in the short run, but now I have a sore throat. I probably put on a couple pounds too.

Trying really hard not to fall back into old, bad habits. Trying to carry my restraint that I showed for 40 days over farther. Which I guess is part of the point.

I like fresh fruit as much as Snickers bars anyway, unfortunately both are hard to come by right now, and of course stress eating is far too easy these days.

Waiting patiently for our fruit trees and grapevine to start producing. Should be any day now...
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:This bullshit is horseshit.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018 2021? 2022?

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2424
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Rorschach » 14 Apr 2020, 07:45

toomanyhatz wrote:
I like fresh fruit as much as Snickers bars anyway,


No way!

toomanyhatz wrote:unfortunately both are hard to come by right now,



Oh really! Why is that? Supply and demand seem to have largely settled down in Spain but there was never a problem with fresh produce. Is that in short supply where you are?

toomanyhatz wrote:and of course stress eating is far too easy these days.


I'd started running and gave up alcohol early this year and lost 10 kilos. It's all gone back on now. Biscuits!

toomanyhatz wrote:Waiting patiently for our fruit trees and grapevine to start producing. Should be any day now...


I'm very envious. What I'd give for a garden...
Bugger off.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2424
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Rorschach » 14 Apr 2020, 07:46

Minnie the Minx wrote:We paid $14 for a bottle of HP sauce via Amazon because we didn't want to go to the one place in Austin that sells it.


Just out of curiosity, why not?
Bugger off.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23994
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Deebank » 14 Apr 2020, 09:24

Rorschach wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:We paid $14 for a bottle of HP sauce via Amazon because we didn't want to go to the one place in Austin that sells it.


Just out of curiosity, why not?


I've had to switch to Daddies :x
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2424
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Rorschach » 14 Apr 2020, 10:48

Deebank wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:We paid $14 for a bottle of HP sauce via Amazon because we didn't want to go to the one place in Austin that sells it.


Just out of curiosity, why not?


I've had to switch to Daddies :x


Luckily, I'm not a fan of brown sauce and Heinz ketchup is readily obtainable here.
So I don't really care about your condiment based problems.
Bugger off.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 28475
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby toomanyhatz » 14 Apr 2020, 19:15

Rorschach wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:unfortunately both are hard to come by right now,



Oh really! Why is that? Supply and demand seem to have largely settled down in Spain but there was never a problem with fresh produce. Is that in short supply where you are?


It's mostly about trying to shop as little as possible, and dodging people in the aisles requiring hurrying through the process more than I normally would. Though I actually have noticed a dip in the quality of fresh produce - I just bit into a very mealy apple, and we've noticed our bagged lettuce is becoming wilted a lot more quickly than usual. Don't know if it's from a surplus of caution - perhaps it's being over-washed in packing? Maybe people are hoarding and we're getting the leftovers? I do suspect some grocery chains have had limited local supply chain and are dealing more with factory farms.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:This bullshit is horseshit.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018 2021? 2022?

Six String
Posts: 20860
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 14 Apr 2020, 21:07

This is many months past apple season so not unusual to run across less than stellar examples. This is a tough time in normal times for fruit as some citrus is done and we are too early for stone fruits and cherries are a month away. I wonder if there will be anyone available to pick cherries this year? I haven't had any issues getting fresh produce though the large farmer's market is closed afaik. I stopped going back in late February/early March so I can't confirm.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23994
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Deebank » 15 Apr 2020, 09:07

Rorschach wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why not?


I've had to switch to Daddies :x


I don't really care about your condiment based problems.


At times like these heroic sacrifices HAVE to be made.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43966
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Dr. Baron » 15 Apr 2020, 13:05

Rorschach wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:We paid $14 for a bottle of HP sauce via Amazon because we didn't want to go to the one place in Austin that sells it.


Just out of curiosity, why not?


I think we were trying to avoid going to a place we didn’t have any other need to go to.

Also, when I ordered it, I thought I was getting two bottles. It was a third party seller. :x
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.