MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Tom Waits For No One

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 24 Oct 2019, 21:01

The Prof wrote:I'm sure I saw a trailer for a "reality show" on C4 or C5 where UK contestants are sent abroad and have to illegally smuggle themselves back into the UK again.
Highly tasteless but even more so in light of recent events.
However I can't see any trace of it now so I guess it's been pulled from the entire network.

Unless I dreamt the whole thing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36772250
Give a shit or be a shit.

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Oct 2019, 23:09

We have arrived at our hotel in Terlingua after spending all day driving and walking around Big Bend. As I might have mentioned this is my first visit and it did not disappoint. Stunnng vistas everywhere you turn. There was a trail at the canyon where the Rio Grande runs through it but we got there at the hottest part of the day and we didn't really have the time. We did walk down to the river just to be there having been next to the Rio Grande outside of Santa Fe. Made me wonder if the water molecules in NM were passing by there when we arrived. It was a week ago so possible I suppose.

The Starlight Theatre opens at 5 p.m. so we'll be heading into downtown after a freshening up. We'll probably eat there and then I'll see about playing out on the porch. There is some live music indoors tonight, The Whitmores, who sounded pretty good on the YT track I found. The chili cookoff is this weekend. This is where chili cookoffs began. There are two nowadays as there was a disagreement at some point and a split between the sides, sort of like religions. :) Viva Terlingua!
Last edited by Six String on 30 Oct 2019, 23:38, edited 3 times in total.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 25 Oct 2019, 01:14

Fantastic! Keep up the excellent reporting and enjoy yourselves!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2019, 03:19

Indeed! Sounds ace Les!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Oct 2019, 03:58

The night in Terlingua became a David Lynch scene. The Whitmores who I checked on YT was a duo this time not the quintet on YT. The wife's voice had this church choir vibrato that drove us up a tree. The guy was fine but the woman was tough to deal with. They played every thing from originals to Neil Young to Nancy Griffith and even Joan Baez. She murdered Nancy's From A Distance which is a great song so particularly egregious. Neil's Long May You Run was weird too. We had some excellent quail marinated in tequila. I kept up the theme with their excellent margaritas.

Side note: I brought one of my dad's cowboy hats home with me so I wore it tonight with my western shirt to the Starlight. During the meal a woman approached me and asked me if it was vintage from the 70s. All I could say was that it was from the 70s or 80s but I didn't know for sure. She went on and on about how much she liked it and how unique it was. Totally surprised the hell out of me. Btw I had the hat hanging on a chair next to me. A gentleman doesn't eat with a hat on at the table. I put it on as I was heading outdoors to play my songs and held my head high.

I took my guitar out on the porch where four people were sitting on a bench against the wall of the theatre. I started tuning and a woman asked if I knew Happy Birthday! I haven't played a note and I'm already getting requests. :? I told her I didn't know the chords but I could play it on slide, so I did. She gave me $20 for that! Score! Based on what our tab was when we left it was appreciated. I played four songs and my audience and I left the porch (empty). So no jam session or even a sympathetic audience but hey, I still made $20 so it's all good as they say.

Tomorrow we check out the cemetary where Ray's family is buried (the guy we met the previous night in Fort Stockton). Then it's on to Marfa, the city of lights and art. Terlingua is a trip. It's amazing that there is town this far away from "everything" that is beyond hip in a stubborn traditional way. I was hoping for more at the Starlight but that's what happens sometimes with expectations. I wanted a big jam session with fiddles and more guitars and singers. Some other time.
Last edited by Six String on 30 Oct 2019, 23:41, edited 2 times in total.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2019, 16:29

I’m trying to work out how El Milagro tortilla chips can say that 16 pieces is 150 calories when the corn tortillas they are made from, 4 of which make 4 chips, are 80 calories each and that before you deep fucking fry them in order to turn them into chips in the first place!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2019, 16:43

Six String wrote:The night in Terlingua became a David Lynch tonight. The Whitmores who I checked on YT was a duo this time not the quintet on YT. The wife's voice had this church choir vibrato that drove us up a tree. The guy was fine but the woman was tough to deal with. They played every thing from originals to Neil Young to Nancy Griffith and even Joan Baez. She murdered Nancy's From A Distance which is a great song so particularly egregious. Neil's Long May You Run was weird too. We had some excellent quail marinated in tequila. I kept up the theme with their excellent margaritas.

Side note: I brought one of my dad's cowboy hats home with me so I wore it tonight with my western shirt to rhe Starlight. During the meal a woman approached me and asked me if it was vintage from the 70s. All I could say was that it was from the 70s or 80s but I didn't know for sure. She went on and on about how much she liked it and how unique it was. Totally surprised the hell out of me. Btw I had the hat hanging on a chair next to me. A gentleman doesn't eat with a hat on at the table. I put it on as I was heading outdoors to play my songs and held my head high.

I took my guitar out on the porch where four people were sitting on a bench against the wall of the theatre. I started tuning and a woman asked if I knew Happy Birthday! I haven't played a note and I'm already getting requests. :? I told her I didn't know the chords but I could play it on slide, so I did. She gave me $20 for that! Score! Based on what our tab was when we left it was appreciated. I played four songs and my audience and I left the porch (empty). So no jam session or even a sympathetic audience but hey, I still made $20 so it's all good as they say.

Tomorrow we check out the cemetary where Ray's family is buried (the guy we met the previous night in Fort Stockton). Then it's on to Marfa, the city of lights and art. Terlingua is a trip. It's amazing that there is town this far away from "everything" that is beyond hip in a stubborn traditional way. I was hoping for more at the Starlight but that's what happens sometimes with expectations. I wanted a big jam session with fiddles and more guitars and singers. Some other time.

Excellent!

Dr Markus wrote:

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 25 Oct 2019, 17:15

First of all if Six String doesn't show these entries to his grandchildren someday they will be missing something special. Some of the best and most vivid BCB writing ever. I'm like reading a western noir novel and I'm waiting for you to accidentally kill a drunk and ride to some more interesting places while you evade the law.

Today at the gym I had just entered when an old Japanese guy in gym gear approached me and asked if I spoke Japanese. I took a chance that it would be a simple conversation so I said I did. He then said some words about food and and I thought I heard him say "California."

"California?" I asked, because California didn't jive.

"No," he said, "Catholic." "Do Catholic people eat pork?"

"Yes, they do. It's Jews and Muslims who don't. But," I went on, "for a long time Catholics didn't eat meat on Fridays."

Suddenly he ran off to his friend to tell him what he had learned. Either the guy had won a bet or settled an argument. Remember my Japanese friends: When in doubt ask the white guy. 8-)
... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 25 Oct 2019, 18:38

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
The Prof wrote:I'm sure I saw a trailer for a "reality show" on C4 or C5 where UK contestants are sent abroad and have to illegally smuggle themselves back into the UK again.
Highly tasteless but even more so in light of recent events.
However I can't see any trace of it now so I guess it's been pulled from the entire network.

Unless I dreamt the whole thing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36772250

Ah! Well, definitely for the best.

Flower

Postby Flower » 25 Oct 2019, 19:26

Jimbo wrote:First of all if Six String doesn't show these entries to his grandchildren someday they will be missing something special. Some of the best and most vivid BCB writing ever. I'm like reading a western noir novel and I'm waiting for you to accidentally kill a drunk and ride to some more interesting places while you evade the law.

Agreed .. also kudos to both Six String and Rebecca for being in a car for such a long trip and not getting on each other's nerves. Or at least not enough for Six String to write about it. ;)

Jimbo wrote:Today at the gym I had just entered when an old Japanese guy in gym gear approached me and asked if I spoke Japanese. I took a chance that it would be a simple conversation so I said I did. He then said some words about food and and I th9ought I heard him say "California."

"California?" I asked, because California didn't jive.

"No," he said, "Catholic." "Do Catholic people eat pork?"

"Yes, they do. It's Jews and Muslims who don't. But," I went on, "for a long time Catholics didn't eat meat on Fridays."

Suddenly he ran off to his friend to tell him what he had learned. Either the guy had won a bet or settled an argument. Remember my Japanese friends: When in doubt ask the white guy. 8-)

I wonder what prompted the question and if the guy told his friends the answer that you gave him or the one that he wanted ... :lol: When in doubt, I ask Google, don't trust those white guys ... :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

quix

Postby quix » 25 Oct 2019, 20:55

Nice to see my thread is still alive!

I haven’t logged in or visited for around a year now... what’s new?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2019, 20:59

Oh, you know! Just dreaming about my dead mum STILL
:D

Dr Markus wrote:

quix

Postby quix » 25 Oct 2019, 21:06

Minnie the Minx wrote:Oh, you know! Just dreaming about my dead mum STILL

I hear ya. I’m still dreaming about my daughter who’s locked in a house which resembles an escher painting. I can hear her through walls screaming and sobbing for me to find her and help her but I can’t get to the room cos it keeps moving around inside the house.

Oh well.

Are you still swivelling around on that chair?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2019, 21:17

I don’t know what what chair you mean, but I am indeed in a chair that swivels currently.

Dr Markus wrote:

quix

Postby quix » 25 Oct 2019, 21:26

Minnie the Minx wrote:I don’t know what what chair you mean, but I am indeed in a chair that swivels currently.

One of the first ever random thread conversations was between you and I. You were swivelling on a chair. I think I had just eaten a banana. At that time the thread was called random mundane facts about your day. I can’t remember though what had happened to you. Hmmm... now I’m wondering if you were eating the banana.

It’s nice to reminisce sometimes.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2019, 21:39

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Oct 2019, 23:04

@Jimbo, thanks but no grandchildren so .......
Re:Terlingua, I forgot to memtion that the town voted for a goat as mayor and he won and later when he passed they voted in another goat to replace him. Not surprisingly the goats were beer drinkers. No, really. The Honorable Clay Henry was stuffed and resides in the Starlight Theatre where we ate. His head and neck stretched towards the stars with a beer bottle in his mouth. :D The cemetary was pretty cool looking. Mostly crosses made of two sticks tied together though there were a few small traditional looking stones too. It is still accepting bodies but it goes back to the mercury mining days.

We pulled into Marfa, TX around noon. Besides being a quirky art town (we're a drinking town with an art problem) it is known for the mysterious lights https://www.livescience.com/37579-what- ... texas.html We wandered around town on foot as everything is probably within a half a mile of the hotel. We are at the Hotel Paisano which hosted Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor and maybe a few others when they made the movie Giant here in 1955. They have large prints of b&w photos all over the hotel which are cool. Interesting to see Liz in mud caked boots.

We visited a coffee house that also serves cocktails and are having an open house for local artists today so we may drop buy after dinner. After a cappuccino we looked around the neighborhood and then returned for a shot of Mezcal and Soto, the latter is another beverage made from a cactus I wasn't familiar with. It was smokier than the Mezcal. We're plannng on drivIng a little ways out of town after dinner for the lights. Hopefully they will show themselves. There's a wedding party tonight at the hotel restaurant so we can't eat there tonight but there's a Mediterranean place less than a block away.

I apologize for not being able to post images as it would help illustrate some things so you'll have to use your imagination. This part of Texas is a trip. It seems like the weirdness of Austin moved west.

Edit: @Flower We're getting along great but wondered how it would go as we've probably never been together this much without a break ever.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 26 Oct 2019, 02:31

This week I got to thinking how out of all the things that getting older brings, one of the strangest ones to adapt to is that all of a sudden, especially if you live a long way from your family, you start thinking about planning the next time you see them in terms of "they might not live that long." This isn't even age or illness related, but we just had to cancel my 71 year old stepmum's visit to Austin in November as there was a sudden illness in the family. I'm consumed with the thought "what if she dies before she comes back?" which is ghoulish but I can't stop thinking about it. And I have no idea when I started thinking these thoughts. It just crept into my subconscious, just out of nowhere. Being out of England magnifies it, but I am pretty sure it would be there anyway.

I find this a way more tiresome factor of ageing than almost anything. Everything develops a kind of urgency.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 Oct 2019, 03:35

Dinner in Marfa was amazing. Best meal on the trip where we have had a lot of unique meals. We ate at the Mediterranean place. The broccoli leek cake we had as an appetizer was superb. The waiter didn't ask how we wanted our lambchops but after wondering I realized if they didn't ask that meant they would do the right thing which they did. Arriving rare they were the best tasting chops I've had in years. The waiter was fantastic. Rebecca complimented him on his knit hat and he said he loved her face. The restaurant has communal sitting so we sat with a couple from San Antonio (my hometown) and Reno (90 minutes east of home).

Then we walked down to Capri, a bar/art space. The bar is typcal hip but the artist space is extra large, like a major gallery. Everything was by Shea Slemmer and they were large 4X4 ft pieces of abstract art very evocative of the natural world around here. Amazing work, free shots of good Mezcal.

This place is really special and I highly recommend a visit if you are anywhere close by. Big Bend is not that far away and you need to go there too. You can sleep in a tee pee! The only reason we had to pass was because we were only staying one night on a Friday night so understandable. We've been staying in a lot of budget places do to the length of the trip but I'm glad I chose this place in Marfa. We have some long days ahead on our way back home. The next place of note will be Joshua Tree Inn where Graham bit the dust. We'll be in room 7 next to 8 (the room). Another bucket list thing to check off.

I almost forgot about the Andy Warhol exhibit at the Ayn Foundation Gallery from NYC. They decided that they wanted a presence in Marfa. A little town in West Texas draws the attention of NYC. :o The pieces were The Last Supper, yes that one. A really great story. (Andy's not Jesus).

This really is a lovely town I could live in.
Last edited by Six String on 30 Oct 2019, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 26 Oct 2019, 22:50

Great stuff, Six!
I must make it back out there. I'd like to check out Fort Davis, Marfa, and Terlingua.
When I went to Big Bend (maybe 20 years ago) we were able to swim in the Rio Grande and it was amazing. I would've liked to have had time to take the trip to Boquilas, which I imagine is much more complicated.

Which way are y'all headed back? I remember you saying you were taken the southern route . . .
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.