MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Fonz

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Fonz » 02 Jan 2019, 11:22

Neige wrote:
Fonz wrote:Crumbs... what’s happened now?
Who else has left and why?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361480

She has a ticket for a boat to Koh Samui and a "good" hotel room on a hill, tomorrow morning, but I suppose that she could also have tried to find a safe building on Koh Tao and sit it out there,

I used the word panic for her initial reaction after someone on social media told her about it...
but there will probably be an increasing panic among the tourists.
By now, word seems to have gotten around and all the boats are full - there's no traffic on Friday and Saturday, when the storm is expected to hit.

Well. Don’t I feel like an insensitive arsehole... (‘Yes’ :oops: )
While you’re undoubtedly worrying about your daughter, my tunnel vision was wondering why Sloop, and someone else, according to an up thread post, had left the board.

Sorry Neige. I’m sure she’ll weather the storm and stay safe.

F
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 02 Jan 2019, 12:13

Oh, don't worry about it...

On Dec 21,
sloopjohnc wrote:I've decided my last day on BCB is today. I was going to wait until after the '70s cup, but since I'll be off for Xmas, decided to make it today.

Everyone have a good life - I've made some friends on here and probably some enemies, but such is life. I'll miss the place a little, but I came to the conclusion that I'm not positively contributing to the place much anymore and probably sucking some life out of it and me.

Everyone have a good holidays and catch you on the flip side maybe.

whereupon
$P.Muff$ wrote:Can't say I blame sloopjohnc. There isn't much life to be sucked out of this joint as far as I can tell.

Take care of yourself, man.
and had his account deleted a little bit later.

That's all the defections I'm currently aware of, but sloop was the one who very much kept the "random stuff" thread alive. :|
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Jan 2019, 12:22

Stille Baron wrote:I’ve been coming up to Min’s dad’s house in West Yorkshire for 8 years or so and finally struck out on the public footpaths a few days ago after years of curiosity. I bought an OS map last time we were here and downloaded the local map to my phone before we came out. I took a little hike out from the house that ascended an overlook and made a rough loop, providing a splendid overlook, with Bingley and Shipley to the east, and green hills and moors in the distance everywhere else. There are photos in other social media spots, but the camera phone isn’t really up to the task. I’ve yet to tire of the scenery here—the dry stone walls, endless green, individual gnarled trees, and stands of woodlands. Coming from where I do, it’s a perfect tonic. The public footpath system is a jewel.

The trees also have the added benefit of giving you something to hide behind should a local chance by.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 03 Jan 2019, 22:49

Hectic afternoon, running after The Wee Guy (not very wee now) Curly Wurly Gurly and Madame, great fun, a bit emotional and very tiring.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 04 Jan 2019, 08:34

Breaking the back of clearing my parent's house this weekend, so no doubt it'll be a bit emotional.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Jan 2019, 11:30

Toby wrote:Breaking the back of clearing my parent's house this weekend, so no doubt it'll be a bit emotional.

All the best Toby. That's a horrible job.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Jan 2019, 12:43

Something special happened this Christmas back in Yorkshire. I'm trying to think how best to describe it - although we always look forward to going, there is always the usual pressure cooker of being under the same roof as many family members in a small house. Throw in some grandchildren and a hurricane of a stepmum and a misanthropic father and it usually makes long walks on the moors mandatory rather than optional just for sanity.
This year, there was some strange shift whereupon everybody somehow "found their place" - like water finding its level, everyone was just delighted to hang out in the same place with no yelling (well, not much. There is always bickering.)
Grandchildren have all grown and matured and found their personalities. Grandparents were conscious of the joy of having three generations in the house, despite my Dad's general surliness and misanthropy. Siblings are all happy this year, a combination of new jobs, new love, new beginnings. We sat for nights round the wood burning stove with wine, tea and chocolate brazils (thanks Frank) and the grandkids clearly witnessed for the first time and got a "feel" for how it was for us growing up and they listened with awe at all the tales of our naughtiness and watched our parents for their reactions. At one point one of my nephews turned round to me and said "I've never heard Grandad laugh like this" as he sat quoting Monty Python and belly laughing. It's rare that we are all together and even rarer that we all enjoy each other with such affection.

On our last night there, my Dad, who loathes cooking and considers eating a necessary evil that you have to experience between cigarettes and coffee, carefully peeled a load of Maris Pipers and made bangers and mash, knowing full well his mash is one of my favourite things. My stepmum dropped her jaw and whispered to me that he hadn't cooked in about a year. We sat round the table as he asked us if the mash was ok. I was umming and oohing and nodding. He finds being demonstrative difficult - he gives me pictures, he buys me scones. This is how I have learned he operates. It's extra hard when I am only there once or twice a year - I think constantly that this could be "the last time." For some reason, the urgency of all that really seemed to filter through to everyone this year, especially as they are selling up in a couple of years and this isolated and impractical but wonderful moorland house will be out of our grasp. It seems such a cruel trick that just when generations are at the age to really start to understand and enjoy each other, it is time for it all to dismantle. For the first time in years, I cried when our taxi set off for the airport.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Jan 2019, 18:15

That's a lovely story Anna. I'm so happy for you to have had that experience. Thanks for sharing.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Jan 2019, 21:03

Well, for about 20 minutes, I've been unable to access this site, and was getting the following message:

Have Markus or Goog sued Coan for image copyright infringement? What has the world come to?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Jan 2019, 10:41

Quote bizarre to see the range of posters who have split for the new Wonga!

Uncle Spellbinder? How did Coan track him down? :lol:

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 06 Jan 2019, 10:44

The Modernist wrote:Quote bizarre to see the range of posters who have split for the new Wonga!

Oh you've opened a can of beans now!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Jan 2019, 10:48

Toby wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Quote bizarre to see the range of posters who have split for the new Wonga!

Oh you've opened a can of beans now!

:D
I'm assuming you're 'Tory' on there?

Robert

Postby Robert » 06 Jan 2019, 18:54

Minnie Mincepie wrote:Something special happened this Christmas back in Yorkshire. I'm trying to think how best to describe it - although we always look forward to going, there is always the usual pressure cooker of being under the same roof as many family members in a small house. Throw in some grandchildren and a hurricane of a stepmum and a misanthropic father and it usually makes long walks on the moors mandatory rather than optional just for sanity.
This year, there was some strange shift whereupon everybody somehow "found their place" - like water finding its level, everyone was just delighted to hang out in the same place with no yelling (well, not much. There is always bickering.)
Grandchildren have all grown and matured and found their personalities. Grandparents were conscious of the joy of having three generations in the house, despite my Dad's general surliness and misanthropy. Siblings are all happy this year, a combination of new jobs, new love, new beginnings. We sat for nights round the wood burning stove with wine, tea and chocolate brazils (thanks Frank) and the grandkids clearly witnessed for the first time and got a "feel" for how it was for us growing up and they listened with awe at all the tales of our naughtiness and watched our parents for their reactions. At one point one of my nephews turned round to me and said "I've never heard Grandad laugh like this" as he sat quoting Monty Python and belly laughing. It's rare that we are all together and even rarer that we all enjoy each other with such affection.

On our last night there, my Dad, who loathes cooking and considers eating a necessary evil that you have to experience between cigarettes and coffee, carefully peeled a load of Maris Pipers and made bangers and mash, knowing full well his mash is one of my favourite things. My stepmum dropped her jaw and whispered to me that he hadn't cooked in about a year. We sat round the table as he asked us if the mash was ok. I was umming and oohing and nodding. He finds being demonstrative difficult - he gives me pictures, he buys me scones. This is how I have learned he operates. It's extra hard when I am only there once or twice a year - I think constantly that this could be "the last time." For some reason, the urgency of all that really seemed to filter through to everyone this year, especially as they are selling up in a couple of years and this isolated and impractical but wonderful moorland house will be out of our grasp. It seems such a cruel trick that just when generations are at the age to really start to understand and enjoy each other, it is time for it all to dismantle. For the first time in years, I cried when our taxi set off for the airport.

That is a beautiful story!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Jan 2019, 20:21

Thanks Robert!
I've been thinking about the whole thing a lot.
I remember reading recently many articles about learning to fully enjoy your parents once you stop viewing them as such and just see them as humans who gave birth to you. I wonder if the same thing applies to parents and their children? As in, as parents can you ever stop viewing your kids as your kids?
I'm rambling a bit.

Dr Markus wrote:

Robert

Postby Robert » 07 Jan 2019, 11:11

Minnie Mincepie wrote:Thanks Robert!
I've been thinking about the whole thing a lot.
I remember reading recently many articles about learning to fully enjoy your parents once you stop viewing them as such and just see them as humans who gave birth to you. I wonder if the same thing applies to parents and their children? As in, as parents can you ever stop viewing your kids as your kids?
I'm rambling a bit.

I suppose some people can but me, I am having a hard time with it. An example, my daughter (30) was over from Ireland with her wife and their daughter for the past week. During that time she invited friends over from way back who are the same age group. It was a good time all round but I wouldn't think anything of it if her friends went on for the umpteenth round of wines & beers but couldn't help myself frowning when she would take a third glass.

It is probably different for parents vs kids than the other way round. In the latter case, you have never had any real responsibility for your parents (untill when parent get real old and/or needy) while in the other case, for most of their lives you have felt a reponsibility towards your children that is difficult to switch off. So, what I guess I am trying to say, at least that element of feeling responsbile or feeling a need to guide them a bit doesn't seem to vanish over time, which stands in the way of viewing them as just another human being like any other.

But that's just me, maybe I should become more rational about it.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 07 Jan 2019, 12:11

He's on Facebook, so I guess that's how.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Jan 2019, 14:54

the masked man wrote:

Are you sure? I prefer my image of JC wandering through the wild plains of Montana shouting "Uncle Spellbinder where are you? I've opened a new music board".

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 07 Jan 2019, 15:29

The Modernist wrote:
the masked man wrote:

Are you sure? I prefer my image of JC wandering through the wild plains of Montana shouting "Uncle Spellbinder where are you? I've opened a new music board".

I understand this desire, but of all the errant BCBers, Spellbinder is probably the easiest to track down!

:D
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 07 Jan 2019, 17:28

Coan’s opened a new music board?

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 07 Jan 2019, 18:00

Hugh wrote:Coan’s opened a new music board?

I doubt there will be any music on it. Except for dreadful 60’s psych bobbins and unfashionable Kraut nonsense. Should go down a storm.