MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Dec 2018, 16:44

My son is not doing that great his second year of high school so I arranged a tutor for him on Tuesday afternoons and was going to break the news to him after the holidays. He told my ex that he wants to get a tutor so now I can safely tell him it's a done deal without looking like I did something behind his back. Which i did.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 14 Dec 2018, 17:25

Neige wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:I got the keys to my first home today.
I'm now a home owner... With keys and everything!

Hope you've got enough cash for everything that's bound to go bust planned-obsolescence-style... :mrgreen:

I say that because I just got a new iron balcony done for my house, and it wasn't cheap. After 30-odd years, the old wooden one had started to creak, rot and crumble. ;)

Anyway, don't worry, I think that congratulations are in order!

We were in a similar situation three years ago - just bought and wondered how the hell we were going to manage. And indeed the first year was tough.

But as far as it being the worst decision - no way! In the long run it'll be the best. There is NO better financial decision you can make than making your investment in your future something you can live in. Beats the heck out of paying someone else and having nothing to show for it at the end.

Don't know how things are where you are, but where we are (fifty miles out of Los Angeles), our mortgage is only slightly more than our rent was. Yes, we have to fix stuff ourselves, and that costs money, but if you spend wisely you can get stuff that's a) your taste and b) will last longer.

So congrats, but I will say good luck getting through the first couple years - after that (at least if you're anything like us) it'll get way better, and you'll come to feel really good about your decision.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Dec 2018, 17:38

Ancestry.com just published the most popular surnames for each state. Here's California . . .

Garcia
Hernandez
Lopez

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Dec 2018, 17:42

Today, in the SF Chronicle's sports pages, they featured a large photo of one of University of San Francisco's best players. I've known the kid since he was very young because his dad played on rec league teams with me. The dad is a major sports bookie and I doubt the university or NCAA know this fact.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Dec 2018, 22:36

My friend has adopted a cat. It wandered over to her house as her neighbours left, leaving it behind. It's an absolutely beautiful part calico. It turned round to look at me and as it rolled onto its back I realised it's totally cross eyed. It looks FUCKING BRILLIANT. What a honey!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 16 Dec 2018, 21:01

I hard pruned my neglected muscadines today which was nice. The weather has been so shitty lately getting outside and being productive gave me a brighter outlook on things, as it always does. I don't even really like muscadines, I just enjoy helping things grow.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Dec 2018, 18:13

$P.Muff$ wrote:I hard pruned my neglected muscadines today

Not a euphemism, I hope.

I had the weirdest night. I woke up twice for extended times and had the weirdest dreams, almost like I was on acid on shrooms.

Maybe I should throw out the chili that's been sitting in the fridge awhile.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 19 Dec 2018, 17:24

sloopjohnc wrote:Ancestry.com just published the most popular surnames for each state. Here's California . . .

Garcia
Hernandez
Lopez

Well that makes sense. The Spanish colonised it first.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 19 Dec 2018, 17:25

I have just had a wisdom tooth pulled out, and a big shout out to my dentist Siobhan for just getting on with it.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 19 Dec 2018, 19:43

I have had a horrible throat virus for the last few days, and I haven't had a wink of sleep for three nights. I got out of bed at 5 am this morning and went to the kitchen for a glass of water. When I pushed the lever on the tap, the whole tap came away from the sink, sending a mains pressure burst of both hot and cold water to the ceiling and beyond, and leaving me , bleary eyed and ill, in despair. I grabbed the tap head and pushed it back into place, and shouted for Bid to come down and help. Somehow we managed to get the water turned off and I spent the rest of the day cleaning up the mess and replacing the tap with new model, which cannot just come off its base.
I did an internet search, and apparently this tap is notorious for doing just this. The grub screws work lose, and they have been known to just blow off at any time. If I hadn't been at home I dread to think what would have happened.Still, I could have done without the excitement and the expense. I just cannot get a break at the moment.
You don't like me...do you?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 19 Dec 2018, 21:03

Oof! It’s common in North American plumbing to have shut-offs directly below a sink or toilet, except maybe in older houses. Do you have those in the UK or do you have to shut off the water main?

Either way, that really sucks.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 19 Dec 2018, 21:21

The problem was keeping the tap in place whilst I cleared the cupboard so that I could see the wretch valves. However, I did not have a screwdriver with me a 5am in my pajamas, so I had to turn the water main off , which is behind a cupboard next to the washing machine. And that was full of all Stan's diabetic stuff. It really was a fucking nightmare. Especially as we had a house viewing at 11 am...

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 20 Dec 2018, 08:23

We have been in Yorkshire for 24 hours now and had our first three dozen cups of tea. From the get go they were not quite right. I strategically demurred from the offer of the third cup so I could make it myself and perhaps let it brew longer and use less milk. Same result. Turns out, Min’s (heretofore beloved) step mother has switched from Yorkshire tea to Twinings. It’s a Christmas disaster.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 20 Dec 2018, 09:01

No! Unless it's Earl Grey of course.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 20 Dec 2018, 09:52

I think the Lidl Gold tea bags are very good...

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 20 Dec 2018, 15:28

Stille Baron wrote:Turns out, Min’s (heretofore beloved) step mother has switched from Yorkshire tea to Twinings. It’s a Christmas disaster.

:x
Fucking Brexit!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Six String

Postby Six String » 20 Dec 2018, 16:10

I'm drinking some oolong from Ali Shan (Taiwan) and wouldn't dream of putting milk in it. Of course it isn't a black tea either so there you go.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 20 Dec 2018, 17:30

I wouldn’t put milk in any tea.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 20 Dec 2018, 19:47

I just assembled an ikea chest of drawers for my nom’s new place. It took three fucking hours non-stop from start to finish, without any fuckups or missing bits. And I used power tools whenever possible. What a nightmare!
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 20 Dec 2018, 21:29

harvey k-tel wrote:I just assembled an ikea chest of drawers for my nom’s new place. It took three fucking hours non-stop from start to finish, without any fuckups or missing bits. And I used power tools whenever possible. What a nightmare!

Ready for the tip then.