MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Count Machuki » 02 Oct 2018, 00:51

My assistant's been in hospital since a week ago last Wednesday. That's meant 12+ hour days for me Monday-Thursday with 5 hour weekend days. This shit is for the birds, I'm exhausted.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 02 Oct 2018, 01:02

Best wishes to you Hugh.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 02 Oct 2018, 17:29

Hugh wrote:My mum passed away this morning after a short illness. She was 93 which is a good age by any standards and was very much loved.

Condolences, Hugh - a good age, as you say, but losing a parent is always painful.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 02 Oct 2018, 17:43

Meanwhile, here's some good news:

I got 5704.60 Swiss francs from the local "bankruptcy office".

It's arrears from a former employer, a big printing company that went bust almost nine years ago.

This is really really unexpected, like manna from heaven! :P

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Oct 2018, 18:11

Neige wrote:Meanwhile, here's some good news:

I got 5704.60 Swiss francs from the local "bankruptcy office".

It's arrears from a former employer, a big printing company that went bust almost nine years ago.

This is really really unexpected, like manna from heaven! :P

Good deal. Which boxsets are you going to get?
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 02 Oct 2018, 20:42

sloopjohnc wrote:Good deal. Which boxsets are you going to get?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know exactly how I work, sloop!

Bobbie Gentry should be on its way, Blood on the Tracks and White Album are next!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Oct 2018, 18:02

A friend posted this in Facebook and why I bought in Eugene, OR.

This is the reported salary you must earn to buy a house in the 50 largest metros

San Jose -- $274,623.19
San Francisco -- $213,726.86
San Diego -- $130,986.05
Los Angeles -- $114,907.52
Boston -- $109,411.27
Seattle -- $109,274.91
New York City -- $103,235.16
Washington, D.C. -- $96,144.49
Denver -- $93,263.28
Portland -- $85,369.09

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Oct 2018, 21:38

Have an interview next week as communication manager at a regional transit agency and another manager position at a statewide healthcare non-profit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Oct 2018, 00:12

Here's a photo of Wyatt Earp at a bar in my hometown. This is the bar at the old Alhambra Theater.

Wyatt Earp is buried in Colma, in the Jewish section of a cemetery there. Just south of San Francisco, Colma has the distinction of housing more dead people than live ones.

The Earps were from Colton, California, which is So. California, San Bernardino County.

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 04 Oct 2018, 10:31

One year ago, I told you here that my 80-year-old mother-in-law would come to live with us.

She had spent the last 25+ years in her own place in a small village in the south of France, but suffered a stroke in Spring 2017 and could no longer drive - in a place where there's no public transport whatsoever. So we decided to let her spend the next phase of her life with us, in the heart of a small town and in the country she grew up in.

So I had a 3-room flat on the first floor of my house refitted with her in mind (shower instead of bathtub, no thresholds, etc.). The last year had its share of beautiful moments, but things weren't always easy - she's weaker and frailer than we'd anticipated, she's used to do things her own way, yet unaware of her limitations, there are also early signs of dementia, not to mention difficult dynamics in the mother-daughter relationship.

Last Friday she fell and got hospitalised with a femoral neck fracture. After hoping for a slow recovery with physiotherapy, we got a call from her doctor last night - turns out the only hope for her to walk again is surgery. But I don't see enough strength in her.

It's just awfully sad.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 04 Oct 2018, 12:39

My sympathies, Felix. Wishing you all every strength.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 04 Oct 2018, 13:14

Ah, Felix. Thinking of you and yours. Xx
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 04 Oct 2018, 14:06

It's tough, isn't it, Felix? Basia's going through the same thing with her dad right now. Her parents are still living in their house, but her father can barely walk any more and has Alzheimers (which, at the moment, is making him relatively cheerful), but the changes are happening really fast, and it's almost a full-time job for her just dealing with their day-to-day care.

Take care, man.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 04 Oct 2018, 14:31

sorry to hear of folks hard times, having been through it all over thd last few years, you are all in my thoughts.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 04 Oct 2018, 17:20

Jeemo wrote:sorry to hear of folks hard times, having been through it all over thd last few years, you are all in my thoughts.

Yeah, it’s grim recently. Whenever I sign off a video chat with my folks I make a conscious effort of trying to say that I love them in case it’s the last time I talk to them but by the time I say ‘well I must go’ my dad is up and into the kitchen for a KitKat without so much as a ta-ra :x

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 04 Oct 2018, 17:24

It’s almost two weeks since our housewarming and we are still eating leftovers. These have come mainly in the form of eighteen plates or so of vegan tamales, beans and rice. They are novel up until the third day then they lose their appeal. I can’t even begin to describe the mountains of leftover booze. Our garage looks like George Best’s glove compartment.

Dr Markus wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Oct 2018, 17:25

Been there, done that with my dad. As detailed ad nauseum on here, I'm sure.

I just kinda felt that the tradeoff was making things as comfortable as possible with my dad, while at the same time, keeping stress to a minimum among family members (who weren't dealing with it day-to-day like I was, but were concerned, nevertheless).

Unfortunately, push comes to shove somewhere down the line and then some tough decisions need to be made.

My ex made a crack about how hard it was to deal with my son a couple years ago and I reminded her that I had been taking care of my dad and watching him die. I told her I would've made that trade anytime.

She didn't say much after that.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Oct 2018, 17:28

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote:
Jeemo wrote:sorry to hear of folks hard times, having been through it all over thd last few years, you are all in my thoughts.

Yeah, it’s grim recently. Whenever I sign off a video chat with my folks I make a conscious effort of trying to say that I love them in case it’s the last time I talk to them but by the time I say ‘well I must go’ my dad is up and into the kitchen for a KitKat without so much as a ta-ra :x

I made the point when I lived with my dad to tell him I loved him before he went to bed each night. Ya gotta know my dad and that kinda thing was uncomfortable for him.

But he got used to it and would even say it back after awhile. He had to just get over himself a little.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Oct 2018, 21:15

I called my buddy, Kevin (Hatz, Quaco and Minnie have met him), to see if he wanted to go to Hardly, Strictly Bluegrass, but he can't since he's in a walking boot. I asked him what happened and he said, "nothing."

He started describing it and I told him that's exactly how my gout started. He said some folks had mentioned that to him.

I told him everything I've had to give up with the gout (beer, sausage, pork, beef, tomatoes) and he wasn't very encouraged.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Oct 2018, 22:44

sloopjohnc wrote:I told him everything I've had to give up with the gout (beer, sausage, pork, beef, tomatoes) and he wasn't very encouraged.

I'd start with tomatoes, and see how it went from there.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.