MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62598
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Jun 2018, 23:03

My son loves Danny Devito and last night he was watching the movie, Twins, with Schwarzenegger.

All of a sudden he said, "I wish I'd grown up in the '90s."

I asked him why and he said, "It looks like it was a great time to be alive."

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29439
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Jun 2018, 16:13

I hope you told him Twins is from the '80s.
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62598
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Jun 2018, 16:27

Matt Wilson wrote:I hope you told him Twins is from the '80s.


It was ahead of its time.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29439
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Jun 2018, 16:29

:lol:
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15276
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Jimbo » 23 Jun 2018, 16:39

My wife told me that inspired by Japanese World Cup soccer fans who cleaned up around their seats after the match, fans from other countries started to do the same. Nice, right? Turns out that the people hired to clean up the stadium are very unhappy.
Gadfly

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29439
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Jun 2018, 17:03

So I've recently purchased my new stereo rig - four speakers, subwoofer, receiver, etc. And I don't feel like looking up how to install everything. Even the speaker wire installation looks different than when I used to do this thirty years ago. Then you had to split the two wires and insert each into a separate hole, now it looks as if you twist the wires together and insert it into one hole.

Anyway, I asked on yelp how much it would cost to have someone come out and do it for me. I figured maybe an hour, $100 or so. The only person who responded said it was more like a two - three hour job and it would be $130 an hour.

WTF? I told him I'd pass. There's gotta be an easier way.
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 2794
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 23 Jun 2018, 19:58

sloopjohnc wrote:My son loves Danny Devito and last night he was watching the movie, Twins, with Schwarzenegger.

All of a sudden he said, "I wish I'd grown up in the '90s."

I asked him why and he said, "It looks like it was a great time to be alive."


My Mam is 86 and she was telling me about my niece who was off to see Demi Lovato...almost.

Me: "So R is going to a concert on Friday. Who's she going to see?"
Mam:"I'm not too sure, I know she really likes her, I think it's Danny Devito"

:D

I hope my Mam lives to, but never grows up in, her 90's!
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4668
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby NMB » 23 Jun 2018, 23:25

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:My son loves Danny Devito and last night he was watching the movie, Twins, with Schwarzenegger.

All of a sudden he said, "I wish I'd grown up in the '90s."

I asked him why and he said, "It looks like it was a great time to be alive."


My Mam is 86 and she was telling me about my niece who was off to see Demi Lovato...almost.

Me: "So R is going to a concert on Friday. Who's she going to see?"
Mam:"I'm not too sure, I know she really likes her, I think it's Danny Devito"

:D

I hope my Mam lives to, but never grows up in, her 90's!


This would be even funnier if I had the faintest idea who Demi Lovato is. Maybe you should introduce me to your Mum.
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23148
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Toby » 24 Jun 2018, 11:32

Matt Wilson wrote:So I've recently purchased my new stereo rig - four speakers, subwoofer, receiver, etc. And I don't feel like looking up how to install everything. Even the speaker wire installation looks different than when I used to do this thirty years ago. Then you had to split the two wires and insert each into a separate hole, now it looks as if you twist the wires together and insert it into one hole.

Anyway, I asked on yelp how much it would cost to have someone come out and do it for me. I figured maybe an hour, $100 or so. The only person who responded said it was more like a two - three hour job and it would be $130 an hour.

WTF? I told him I'd pass. There's gotta be an easier way.


Instructions?

Hugh
Posts: 15653
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Hugh » 24 Jun 2018, 14:32

I'd be pretty confident that you DON'T twist the wires together and stick them in the one hole.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29439
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Jun 2018, 16:15

Hugh wrote:I'd be pretty confident that you DON'T twist the wires together and stick them in the one hole.



You don't - you're right. I had a guy come out and do it all for me and I watched him.
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62598
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Jun 2018, 19:10

I started my 57th birthday today with a root canal at 7:45 in the morning. Seemingly fitting, considering.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62598
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Jun 2018, 18:01

Last night, my son told me something that happened at his summer gig: He's volunteering for the city to help fix and clean up shit and in exchange he gets service hours required for graduation.

He said, "Hey, I overheard two girls saying there are no cute guys herre, but mom always tells me how handsome I am."

I said, "I don't know what to tell you champ. Wait a couple weeks 'til they come back to reality and realize these are the pickins' they got."

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23148
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Toby » 28 Jun 2018, 11:07

Bit of a mental week. Changed my son's school, have been shuttling to and forth from the hospital to see my dad, sort out his house, son's birthday today, plus loads of other stuff with potential teacher training. Thankfully things with my dad seem more organised in terms of what we are going to do - I don't think he's really got a huge amount of time left, perhaps 6 months at best - but he's coming home for a bit whilst we look for a care place.

I'm using a Project Management app for my dad and it's this sort of thing that actually works really well with my siblings - everyone knows what is going on, who does what etc, who can do what when etc. It's great.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62598
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Jun 2018, 19:00

Toby wrote:Bit of a mental week. Changed my son's school, have been shuttling to and forth from the hospital to see my dad, sort out his house, son's birthday today, plus loads of other stuff with potential teacher training. Thankfully things with my dad seem more organised in terms of what we are going to do - I don't think he's really got a huge amount of time left, perhaps 6 months at best - but he's coming home for a bit whilst we look for a care place.

I'm using a Project Management app for my dad and it's this sort of thing that actually works really well with my siblings - everyone knows what is going on, who does what etc, who can do what when etc. It's great.


Are you using MS Project? I hope not - I hate that fucking thing.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 22726
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby never/ever » 28 Jun 2018, 21:48

All the best Toby. Really hope your dad will have some fine times left with you all.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29439
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Jun 2018, 01:19

Enjoying Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here in 5.1 on my new stereo rig. No matter how much things seem to suck these days, I can always just relax with some wine, dope, and some good music...
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62598
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Jun 2018, 17:11

Matt Wilson wrote:Enjoying Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here in 5.1 on my new stereo rig. No matter how much things seem to suck these days, I can always just relax with some wine, dope, and some good music...


Sounds like just a roomier version of Matt Wilson's car.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62598
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Jun 2018, 17:58

Today, is three months without a drink. I stopped when I had my gout attack and while I've had blood tests since then, it only shows my uric acid is on high end, but not "goutable." Also, my blood pressure has gone down to normal, still with the help of pills, but it's now down to the 120 mark and not 140.

But I don't miss it much. I miss some foods I can't eat, but not drinking. On a hot day, I think it might be nice to have a beer or a couple glasses of wine but that gout hurt so much it's not worth it finding out.

Besides, I just feel better without it.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 02 Jul 2018, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27251
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Jun 2018, 18:38

Good luck. On a similar subject, an old friend of mine who I visited recently in Sacramento wrote a blog about how he had started drinking again, and was enjoying doing so in moderation. When I read it, I realized how crazy his story is, and how I have managed to be in touch with him for all the biggest changes in his life.

I was friends with his older half-brother (who went to another high school, but were in high school when we met). He was 9 when I met him, just shortly after his mom had remarried and moved him in with his new family. At the time I just thought, OK nice kid, but mostly ignored him 'cause he was the younger brother. But apparently it was a really traumatic time, and he started smoking pot and drinking a disturbingly short time after (like in excess by age 12).

Then, when his brother got married, I attended the wedding and saw him again. Now he was 16, and had just recently gone through a live-in treatment program and was completely sober. And so he stayed for 30 years. The second time, the age difference still precluded us from being friends, but I had more in common with him, including music taste. But I dropped out of touch with both him and his brother.

We got back in touch about 10 years ago, and then I realized I had more in common with him (very easy-going, similar music taste as I said, now a baseball fan as his older brother never was and never will be) than with his brother. So we became Facebook friends, and after talking about it pretty much the whole time, I finally visited him and went to a minor league baseball game about a year ago. Yes, we each had a few beers.

In the blog he wrote, he talks about the 4 most important stages of his life being - child thrown into turmoil, teenager in recovery, married sober adult with children, then finally married not-totally-sober adult with children starting to move out and live on their own.

I just find it amusing that I've seen him, basically three times in the last 40 years - and have pretty much caught a big life change for him every single one of those times.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!