MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Insouciant Western People

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Insouciant Western People » 16 May 2018, 13:15

A good friend and colleague went to A&E on Monday morning with a suspected torn ligament. Whilst he was there, I'm still not sure why, the staff treating him ran some tests and became concerned about some of his other symptoms, and he was admitted to hospital for more tests.

This morning he was diagnosed with Acute Leukaemia, and is starting an immediate course of treatment.

Christ.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 16 May 2018, 15:37

Insouciant Western People wrote:A good friend and colleague went to A&E on Monday morning with a suspected torn ligament. Whilst he was there, I'm still not sure why, the staff treating him ran some tests and became concerned about some of his other symptoms, and he was admitted to hospital for more tests.

This morning he was diagnosed with Acute Leukaemia, and is starting an immediate course of treatment.

Christ.

Sorry to hear about this. You always think there'll be some warning, or some reason these things happen. And so often you dont, and there isn't.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 May 2018, 16:54

hippopotamus wrote:
Insouciant Western People wrote:A good friend and colleague went to A&E on Monday morning with a suspected torn ligament. Whilst he was there, I'm still not sure why, the staff treating him ran some tests and became concerned about some of his other symptoms, and he was admitted to hospital for more tests.

Christ.

Sorry to hear about this. You always think there'll be some warning, or some reason these things happen. And so often you dont, and there isn't.

My mom found out she had leukemia because she felt tired for a couple months and couldn't figure out the reason why. Her doctor ordered some blood tests, because she was older, and the found it that way.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 17 May 2018, 08:47

Should I feel insulted by these air conditioning units?

This is staring at me from the meeting room right now, btw.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 May 2018, 16:11

Its going to be 100 degrees here today.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 May 2018, 17:20

This is going viral, but a couple of weeks ago a woman saw two guys with a portable BBQ grill at Lake Merritt, a downtown park in Oakland (been there many times). She called cops because she said it was non-designated BBQ area and below is what ensued.

I don't know about you, but it wouldn't have bugged me in the first place that some people were BBQing. If it did bug me, I would have emailed the Oakland Park & Rec dept to tell them to monitor illegal BBQing. If it bugged me.

What I wouldn't have done is stand near the people 'til the cops came.

I think she got what she deserved.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 May 2018, 22:46

I manage a company YouTube channel so I have to go on there semi-frequently for work.

More a rhetorical question, but why so many ads for Grammarly? What kind of word processing programs are people using that don't have a grammar and spell check?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 17 May 2018, 23:40

Re-read your posts.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 May 2018, 11:55

Planned to go for drinks with a few friends before I decided to get back in to the gym. 3 days in to getting fit and i'm defeating the purpose by going for pints. No I can't hear or see anyone say "just don't go for pints", sorry can't see you write that.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 18 May 2018, 12:03

Dr Markus wrote:Planned to go for drinks with a few friends before I decided to get back in to the gym. 3 days in to getting fit and i'm defeating the purpose by going for pints. No I can't hear or see anyone say "just don't go for pints", sorry can't see you write that.

I was at a Diabetes meeting yesterday... talk after talk about how we're all failing at life.

Well.. I thought this, and to my right was a PhD student who is also a professional body builder, and to my left a Professor who's actual title is "Professor of Physical Actvity" (who is also an ultra marathon runner).
To I decided it was just embarrassing to be me among these people, so I would definitely go for a run yesterday (Scrapped, because the meeting finished at 8pm and didn't supply food... so instead of a run I ate a healthy dinner, and then a whole bag of dorritos.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 May 2018, 12:08

hippopotamus wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:Planned to go for drinks with a few friends before I decided to get back in to the gym. 3 days in to getting fit and i'm defeating the purpose by going for pints. No I can't hear or see anyone say "just don't go for pints", sorry can't see you write that.

I was at a Diabetes meeting yesterday... talk after talk about how we're all failing at life.

Well.. I thought this, and to my right was a PhD student who is also a professional body builder, and to my left a Professor who's actual title is "Professor of Physical Actvity" (who is also an ultra marathon runner).
To I decided it was just embarrassing to be me among these people, so I would definitely go for a run yesterday (Scrapped, because the meeting finished at 8pm and didn't supply food... so instead of a run I ate a healthy dinner, and then a whole bag of dorritos.

Yeah judging from your picture, you can do that way way more often than I can. I will be back in the gym the next day sweating the beer out though. That's the one thing I promised myself. If I drink, I gotta punish myself in the gym the next day. :(
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 18 May 2018, 12:18

Dr Markus wrote: If I drink, I gotta punish myself in the gym the next day. :(

I'm not sure that's how health works.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 May 2018, 12:21

hippopotamus wrote:
Dr Markus wrote: If I drink, I gotta punish myself in the gym the next day. :(

I'm not sure that's how health works.

It's not, but if I can work off something of the calories from drinking it has to be done. It can also act as a deterrent to wanting to drink in the first place. Fuzzy logic I know.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 18 May 2018, 12:54

sloopjohnc wrote:I manage a company YouTube channel so I have to go on there semi-frequently for work.

More a rhetorical question, but why so many ads for Grammarly? What kind of word processing programs are people using that don't have a grammar and spell check?

I used to think the same, but I've just had a Professor come up to me "Are you dyslexic?"
"...yes... " (oh no) "How did you know"
"It's very obvious. Get Grammarly. "
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 May 2018, 14:08

You americans, really really really love your meetings.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 18 May 2018, 16:28

Dr Markus wrote:You americans, really really really love your meetings.

There’s a little informal get together in ten minutes to discuss this if you’re around?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 May 2018, 16:31

gash on ignore wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:You americans, really really really love your meetings.

There’s a little informal get together in ten minutes to discuss this if you’re around?

Sorry I have a meeting where my team have to create a document where we promise each other to show up to our daily meeting, show each other respect etc. This actually happened. :(

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 18 May 2018, 16:33

That’d never work on BCB.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 May 2018, 16:39

Be fun to try though :lol:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 May 2018, 17:39

hippopotamus wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I manage a company YouTube channel so I have to go on there semi-frequently for work.

I used to think the same, but I've just had a Professor come up to me "Are you dyslexic?"
"...yes... " (oh no) "How did you know"
"It's very obvious. Get Grammarly. "

I'd try the Review tab in Word first and do a spelling and grammar check. I don't know how Grammarly can be astoundingly more intuitive. Words's aren't at all, by the way.

There are also free readability tools available online.