MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby souphound » 04 May 2018, 20:57

sloopjohnc wrote:Only 3,667 posts shy of Pete for first place. There must be some kind of docking system of handicap for being such a big cunt.

But that count doesn't include his Prince of Pies posts, does it?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 May 2018, 21:09

Absolutely fucking fuming.

For those who remember, I posted 3 months ago (almost to the day) that my dad had died after an aneurysm. I've got a brother who lives a good three or four hours drive away in Newport in Wales. At Easter bank holiday, he was meant to come up visiting my mum for the weekend with his son, but his car 'unexpectedly' failed. I was fuming then, but was talked out of giving him a load of abuse. He rescheduled to this weekend, and he couldn't even be bothered phoning my mum to say he wasn't coming. He's sent her a text message today, an hour ago, after I texted him asking what was going on. He can't make it because he's got no-one to look after the cat. Despite having a wife who deosn't work, and two step-daughters living nearby. Three months after his dad died, he's made no effort to come up, not offered to get mum train tickets to go down to see her grandson, nothing.

I can't be alone in thinking that's a fucking disgrace, can I? Seriously? I always thought he was a fairly decent if lazy bloke before, but this is beyond the pale. Mum's asked me not to contact him, but I'm so tempted to tell him what I think. Really want to just let him know that I think he's a piece of shit right now.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 May 2018, 21:12

souphound wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Only 3,667 posts shy of Pete for first place. There must be some kind of docking system of handicap for being such a big cunt.

But that count doesn't include his Prince of Pies posts, does it?

Fuck!

Forgot about those.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 May 2018, 21:14

Darkness_Fish wrote:Absolutely fucking fuming.

For those who remember, I posted 3 months ago (almost to the day) that my dad had died after an aneurysm. I've got a brother who lives a good three or four hours drive away in Newport in Wales. At Easter bank holiday, he was meant to come up visiting my mum for the weekend with his son, but his car 'unexpectedly' failed. I was fuming then, but was talked out of giving him a load of abuse. He rescheduled to this weekend, and he couldn't even be bothered phoning my mum to say he wasn't coming. He's sent her a text message today, an hour ago, after I texted him asking what was going on. He can't make it because he's got no-one to look after the cat. Despite having a wife who deosn't work, and two step-daughters living nearby. Three months after his dad died, he's made no effort to come up, not offered to get mum train tickets to go down to see her grandson, nothing.

I can't be alone in thinking that's a fucking disgrace, can I? Seriously? I always thought he was a fairly decent if lazy bloke before, but this is beyond the pale. Mum's asked me not to contact him, but I'm so tempted to tell him what I think. Really want to just let him know that I think he's a piece of shit right now.

And the worst excuse ever, I might add.

I'd leave a cat alone for the weekend before I left my son alone.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 May 2018, 01:16

Cat lover that I am, I tend toward the "always think of the cat" side of things, but even I find this absolutely appalling.

My brother tends to not help me care for my mom very much, but he at least has a partial excuse - he lives very far away and is on the autism spectrum so even with good intentions he can be a bit oblivious. But he at least calls her regularly and has come through when really needed - he was on the scene immediately when she first had her stroke, and his wife stayed with her lots in the early stages.

Unless you think it circling back to your mom would cause unwanted grief for her, I say let him have it, full on. No excuse for that whatsoever.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 05 May 2018, 08:28

get him told.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 05 May 2018, 11:33

13 years today since my Mum passed.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 May 2018, 15:25

Jeemo wrote:13 years today since my Mum passed.

Sorry to hear that, Jim. The other day I was trying to think of the day my mom died, which was around 20 years ago. I tried finding the obituary online, but it must've been somewhat earlier than the net recorded those things online. I remember calling a couple friends I grew up when it happened - all our moms were like a band that kept all us boys out of trouble. When I thought back on why I did that, I think I just wanted people to recognize her life.

My dad wouldn't let my brother and see her in the hospital because she had gone into the hospital with pneumonia (she had Leukemia). She slipped into a coma shortly before he died. I don't blame him - he wanted to keep her away from any germs for whatever reason.

He called me early one Saturday, not unlike today. I was getting ready to go to my weekly pick up basketball game, but he called me and I raced off to the hospital. I watched as she stopped breathing. My dad kissed her on the forehead and whispered, "Good bye, Johanna." Johanna was what my dad and her Swedish parents, my grandparents, called her.

I remember going home after, crying the whole way back across the Bay.

My brother was my dad's son in lots of ways and I was a mama's boy, we were closer in temperament and interests in common. My dad knew this and when he felt like he was going to pass, he told me to help my brother, because as he said it, "Your brother is going to take it hard. Like you did with your mom."

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 May 2018, 15:48

On more mundane matters, I cracked a lower right tooth and have to get it extracted. Probably have to get a fake tooth to replace it, which means having an operation to put a post in where they have to insert it in my jawbone, wait three months, and then get the fake tooth put in.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 May 2018, 22:56

sloopjohnc wrote:On more mundane matters, I cracked a lower right tooth and have to get it extracted. Probably have to get a fake tooth to replace it, which means having an operation to put a post in where they have to insert it in my jawbone, wait three months, and then get the fake tooth put in.

A few years ago, I cracked a molar eating a frozen meatball. I thought I could just go to the dentist's and have a crown put on, but no - the crack went below the gum line, so I had to have the whole tooth yanked. He tried to talk me into getting a fake tooth put in because he said over time my upper molar would overcompensate by growing down further or some such nonsense. My dad, who was a dentist, was still alive at the time and told me I didn't need that molar - that the dentist was just looking to make more money. Anyway, I never did it.
Thinking about Mexican food.

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Postby Wally Bingbang » 05 May 2018, 23:03

Why the fuck were you eating a frozen meatball?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 May 2018, 23:04

It wasn't frozen at the time!

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Postby Wally Bingbang » 05 May 2018, 23:05

Did it have rock in it?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 May 2018, 23:08

I think it was a piece of bone. Anyway, everyone at the dinner table heard the crack when I bit down on it.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 May 2018, 00:08

Matt Wilson wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:On more mundane matters, I cracked a lower right tooth and have to get it extracted. Probably have to get a fake tooth to replace it, which means having an operation to put a post in where they have to insert it in my jawbone, wait three months, and then get the fake tooth put in.

A few years ago, I cracked a molar eating a frozen meatball. I thought I could just go to the dentist's and have a crown put on, but no - the crack went below the gum line, so I had to have the whole tooth yanked. He tried to talk me into getting a fake tooth put in because he said over time my upper molar would overcompensate by growing down further or some such nonsense. My dad, who was a dentist, was still alive at the time and told me I didn't need that molar - that the dentist was just looking to make more money. Anyway, I never did it.

I've had to have a back molar extracted. At first, the dental surgeon said he'd have to put in a post and fake tooth, but after three months of it adhering to the bone and ready to be put in, he said it wasn't affecting my bite so "fuck it."

My words, not his.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 May 2018, 00:10

Last weekend, my son and I visited the animal shelter and did again today. I think we're going to get an 8-mos old male cat we both liked. I filled out the application, and since we had gotten our dog there, they had lots of my info on file.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 May 2018, 20:48

sloopjohnc wrote:Last weekend, my son and I visited the animal shelter and did again today. I think we're going to get an 8-mos old male cat we both liked. I filled out the application, and since we had gotten our dog there, they had lots of my info on file.

We tried getting another rabbit from an animal shelter recently. It's strange that you can walk into any pet shop, pass over some cash and take whatever you want; go to a shelter they send someone out to check your home set-up, and see if you're likely to be a suitable owner. Anyway, the (male) rabbit we already have just wouldn't settle with any of the available females though, he was either set upon, or did learned from his previous mauling and attacked first. They said it wasn't going to work, if he could speak he'd have said, "why are you trying to match me up with some bloody rodents?"
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 May 2018, 04:26

Darkness_Fish wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Last weekend, my son and I visited the animal shelter and did again today. I think we're going to get an 8-mos old male cat we both liked. I filled out the application, and since we had gotten our dog there, they had lots of my info on file.

We tried getting another rabbit from an animal shelter recently. It's strange that you can walk into any pet shop, pass over some cash and take whatever you want; go to a shelter they send someone out to check your home set-up, and see if you're likely to be a suitable owner. Anyway, the (male) rabbit we already have just wouldn't settle with any of the available females though, he was either set upon, or did learned from his previous mauling and attacked first. They said it wasn't going to work, if he could speak he'd have said, "why are you trying to match me up with some bloody rodents?"

For dogs and cats, the shelter asks if the animal is going to be inside only, garage, roam and inside & out. What they don't tell you, at our shelter anyway, where they want the animal to live.

For our dog, I marked inside and outside and they said he was an inside dog only and almost wouldn't let us adopt it. I said, "Okay, only inside." Once home, the thing spent half his time outdoors going in and out a doggie door.

They also ask "What will you do if he/she scratches?" I felt like answering, "Do I look like Dr. 'fucking' Doolittle?"

mission

Postby mission » 08 May 2018, 05:08

When a friend died in 2008, a small part of the shared confusion and sensation of being without was what to do with his name and number in your contacts.

He was a journalist and left something of a written word legacy
Good.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 May 2018, 21:22

I sold my house i bought last year in Eugene because it was too big and am putting an offer down on something that's a little less big. Here's what it looks like. Again, I'll rent it out.