MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Oct 2017, 22:30

I was walking back into the office from work and two of the directors were behind me. I stopped to open the door for them and one of them said, "Looks like everything's going to fall out of your backpack," because I tend to leave the pockets open.

I responded, "That's okay, my life is a confusing and precarious balance as it is."

Sometimes I get off a good one.

As an aside, I can't believe how much money our company makes. We just went public again and we made $270 million last quarter.

Last quarter.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 06 Oct 2017, 23:21

I am off to Jersey again tomorrow . We have a meeting with all the social workers and doctors who are looking after my mother in law. Her dementia is accelerating, and she has reached the point where she is becoming expert in pretending to know who you are and what you are talking about, but in reality she is drifting in space and time, and cannot hold on to the most basic piece of information for more than a few seconds. She seems happy enough, and she is eating well , and is warm and clean and comfortable. Which is all we can hope for. I also have meetings with the builders , the solicitors and the gardening contractor. So a fun packed two day jaunt in prospect.

Whilst at home my mother is still in hospital with a clot on her lungs and a broken arm from when the nurse slipped helping her. We have to make some decisions concerning her future care, as she is 88, and is not really strong enough to make her way around the house any more. My sister, who cares for her , is also concerned that following this episode, she will not be able to care for her alone any more. Naturally the family are torn on whether a home is the way forward, or home care. I am keeping out of it...

So much to look forward to.
You don't like me...do you?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 Oct 2017, 23:27

Take care Michael. Those are some very tough times ahead.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Oct 2017, 00:02

never/ever wrote:Take care Michael. Those are some very tough times ahead.

Yeah, double whammy - only in that's two old folks to look after.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 07 Oct 2017, 00:18

sloopjohnc wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote: Are you really that indispensable?

Guess so. The company is paying me to cancel.
That's The Man, for you!

:(

I've been thinking about your situation a lot. Even if it's just you and the wife taking off, it's important.

If your company has to cut back, they're never going to consider the vacation you didn't take as a reason to keep you.

I'm pure mercenary now after two layoffs. I didn't use to be.

Well what the hell is he supposed to do? It’s not like arts fundraising jobs grow on trees in Atlanta! Or do they?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Oct 2017, 01:50

yomptepi wrote:I am off to Jersey again tomorrow . We have a meeting with all the social workers and doctors who are looking after my mother in law. Her dementia is accelerating, and she has reached the point where she is becoming expert in pretending to know who you are and what you are talking about, but in reality she is drifting in space and time, and cannot hold on to the most basic piece of information for more than a few seconds. She seems happy enough, and she is eating well , and is warm and clean and comfortable. Which is all we can hope for. I also have meetings with the builders , the solicitors and the gardening contractor. So a fun packed two day jaunt in prospect.

Whilst at home my mother is still in hospital with a clot on her lungs and a broken arm from when the nurse slipped helping her. We have to make some decisions concerning her future care, as she is 88, and is not really strong enough to make her way around the house any more. My sister, who cares for her , is also concerned that following this episode, she will not be able to care for her alone any more. Naturally the family are torn on whether a home is the way forward, or home care. I am keeping out of it...

So much to look forward to.

Good Lord. Good luck, love. Thinking of you and the family.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 07 Oct 2017, 02:40

A lot on your plate indeed, yomp x
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 07 Oct 2017, 03:53

Still Baron wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:
Guess so. The company is paying me to cancel.
That's The Man, for you!

:(

I've been thinking about your situation a lot. Even if it's just you and the wife taking off, it's important.

If your company has to cut back, they're never going to consider the vacation you didn't take as a reason to keep you.

I'm pure mercenary now after two layoffs. I didn't use to be.

Well what the hell is he supposed to do? It’s not like arts fundraising jobs grow on trees in Atlanta! Or do they?

They sure as shit don't!
Thank you, Baron!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Oct 2017, 06:20

Best to Yomp. Going through something similar with my mom, but not as bad. But it's a big time stress-inducer. I can relate.

Count, you too. Sometimes it sucks to be good at your job. But beats the hell out of the alternative.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Oct 2017, 16:54

All my boyhood heroes are dying. I just found that Connie Hawkins died. I read his bio in 8th grade, got his autograph at a Warriors game. A New York playground legend.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Oct 2017, 16:11

15 wildfires north of San Francisco in Napa, Sonoma and a bigger town up there, Santa Rosa. Burnt 25,000 acres so far.

I started smelling the smoke around 4 am. It's around 85 to 90 miles north of the Bay Area.

My brother in law just bought a house up there, but he said it's okay.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Oct 2017, 18:16

I am admittedly one of the worst cooks the world has ever produced. My son talked me into buying a wok this Sunday. I looked at YouTube video on how to cook with a wok, cooked something, and it turned out pretty good.

My son wanted me to cook something for breakfast in the wok, but I told him we should wait until dinner.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 09 Oct 2017, 21:39

Being TUPEd to another employer, who confirmed today they have no jobs for my team.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 19:52

I'm glad the US didn't make the World Cup. Less fucking soccer, I hope.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 11 Oct 2017, 19:58

The US womens team is ranked #1 in the world, but who cares about those dumb chicks anyway.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

NMB

Postby NMB » 11 Oct 2017, 20:18

sloopjohnc wrote:I'm glad the US didn't make the World Cup. Less fucking soccer, I hope.

So are we if you’re going to call it soccer! It’s football, where you kick a ball with your foot. ;)
turn on, tune in, nod off

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 21:20

NMB wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I'm glad the US didn't make the World Cup. Less fucking soccer, I hope.

So are we if you’re going to call it soccer! It’s football, where you kick a ball with your foot. ;)

;)

Soccer, soccer, soccer. . .

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 21:36

The SF Bay Area dropped down two markets as a TV market. I would bet it's because way fewer people watch stuff on TV in this area.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 11 Oct 2017, 21:44

Thoroughly irritated today. I have been trying to get a plumber to fit a new boiler in my house for about three years. The first one wanted nearly six grand, and thought it perfectly normal to pay his operatives over a thousand pounds a day each for the job, which he said would take two days. I disagreed. Eventually another plumber did responded to my email, and quoted me two grand for the job. ( Boiler is about £800.00.) They also were to move a radiator and fix the upstairs toilet. They arrived this morning, brimming with confidence, on time, and sure of their brief.

When I came home , the boiler has been installed in the wrong place. ( far too low and way over to the left). The radiator in the bedroom has been replaced like for like, so the new bed still does not fit. Why would you do that? I explained the whole reason for replacing the radiator was so the bed fitted, and the new one is even more intrusive on the beds space. For Fuck's sake. As for the boiler, I cannot imagine what they were thinking.

Anyway, they will have to do all of the work again. Which is more stress on an already threadbare bear. I am shaking with irritation.

On the up side, they have fixed the loo...
You don't like me...do you?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 21:45

NMB wrote:

I am kinda irritated. The US sinks $1 billion into development and they can't get past Trinidad-Tobago?

Return to “Nextdoorland”