MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Apr 2018, 18:53

I'm sure everyone on Facebook has a friend or two that posts sickeningly positive aphorisms. Usually, I stop following them, yet remain friends, because I can't really abide them.

But I was listening to an interview with comedian Louie Anderson yesterday and he was talking about how he channels his mom (Anderson was one of 11 kids) in his role as Zach Galifianakis'' mom in the show Baskets. He said his mom told him to be nice to everyone "because you don't know what kind of day they're having."

I thought that was a pretty good reason.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Apr 2018, 22:08

Heard something interesting today in an interview with director, Milos Forman, who just died.

Kirk Douglas told Forman he wanted him to direct One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, when Douglas bought the rights, but the Czech gov't confiscated it so Forman never received it. He thought Douglas was just blowing smoke up his ass.

10 years alter, Kirk's son, Michael, sent Forman the book again, asking him to direct it.

Elder and younger Douglas had never spoken to each other about hiring Forman as director.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 20 Apr 2018, 23:05

L :lol: L
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Apr 2018, 00:05

So a weird thing is happening at work. One of our division directors asked me to clean up and redo his quarterly Powerpoint presentation at the start of the week so I've been working on it with our graphic designer. I went into my supervisor's office earlier this afternoon and he has the same slides all printed out on his desk like he's working on them.

Last month, although he never confronted me, he got all pissed off because one of our subsidiaries asked me to do the same. They sent it to him when they meant to send it to me and he got all peeved like he'd never seen it, although I mentioned it numerous times and sent him a copy. The way I found out is he called the graphic designer I worked with on it and gave him the fifth degree who told me. Our graphic designer said he told them that they love it so why are you bitching?

My boss is kinda insecure and a control freak, but I'm just surprised he hasn't told me he's working on it. It's not like I'm dying to redo a Powerpoint presentation.

Weird guy.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Apr 2018, 15:09

It's funny how little things can trigger your memory - I'm an early bird, even on Saturdays. I got up at 5:30 and after a couple cups of coffee, I decided to take a walk. As I was returning to my apartment complex and the sprinkler system went on. I looked down at the sprinkler heads and they were the same ones I occasionally had to replace on our lawns when we had the house and I was married.

I'd spend Saturdays playing basketball in the morning, then do yardwork, and lots of times the day would end up with me BBQing for the family with me playing CDs while whatever meat cooked and then having a nice dinner out on the patio with the wife and kids.

I still shoot hoops every once in awhile, but it's a pale facsimile to my old game and I occasionally BBQ, but not often.

All that was, is gone.

Along with my basketball game, everything seems a splintered, pale facsimile to my past life.

I'm not sad about it, particularly, although it may sound like it - I'm learned to live with it. The lesson it's taught me is that you're not entitled to anything in life and just accept things as they come - and deal with 'em.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 21 Apr 2018, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 21 Apr 2018, 15:32

That sucks, John. It seems you’re in between two phases of your life, and still have a foot in the old. Here’s hoping you turn a corner soon and start something new.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Apr 2018, 15:52

Well, there are the small good things too. It's almost 8 am and my son, Derek, just woke up. There is nothing better than seeing your kids in the morning as they wake up - when you look at your kids, as a parent, you see their entire life, their totality, even though they may be a specific age, like Derek at 15.

Teenagers, especially, can't stand when they catch you giving them looks of love and adoration - they're just 15 and grumpy and live in the here and now. Cheerful, morning parents are especially irksome to them.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Apr 2018, 01:30

I didn't know where to put this in Yakety Yak, but I was talking to my guitar teacher this morning and was telling him I was getting into the Butterfield Blues Band. He told me saw them when Elvin Bishop was in the band at the old Stanford Gymnasium and Jefferson Airplane opened when Signe Andersen (sp?) was still the lead singer.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Apr 2018, 15:45

My son had a couple friends over for swimming and a sleep over. One of his friends, Rohla, started talking about his dad and his lack of parenting skills. Rohla is Afghani and he said his dad didn't have a dad so he doesn't know how to parent. He relies on his mom and his uncles. I asked Rohla what happened to his dad's dad and he said he was killed by Russian soldiers in his dad's village, but I don't think he really knows. Rohla's a handsome, sweet kid, but you can tell it really bugs him by the way it came up and that he needed to talk about it with me.

My son's friends all call me "Papa John," kind of a joke on Papa Murphy's Pizza, but they're way more talkative to me than I'd expect. And it's not like I try and pry stuff out of 'em.

The only way Rohla could sleep over is he has an aunt who lives in the apartment complex across the street - pretty strict upbringing. Although not that strict. I got out sandwich stuff for the boys before they started swimming and Derek, my son, told Rohla the meat wasn't halal. That didn't stop Rohla from making himself a huge ham sandwich.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 23 Apr 2018, 23:03

I'm going to run a fundraising campaign for The Philadelphia Orchestra! From here in Atlanta.

The Philadelphia Orchestra! They're one of The Big Five US orchestras!

:)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Apr 2018, 23:10

Count Machuki wrote:I'm going to run a fundraising campaign for The Philadelphia Orchestra! From here in Atlanta.

If it's the Philly Orchestra, who blows the raspberry?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Apr 2018, 23:12

Count Machuki wrote:I'm going to run a fundraising campaign for The Philadelphia Orchestra! From here in Atlanta.

Congrats, man! :D

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Apr 2018, 12:49

Nice one Count!!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 24 Apr 2018, 17:39

Great stuff!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Apr 2018, 18:36

The SF Bay Area's annual housing/real estate report came in today.

The median price for a home in the county I grew up in is $1,300,000. In the county I live in now, across the Bay, it's $990,000. Housing prices have gone up 4-5% across the board here in the last year.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 25 Apr 2018, 19:23

sloopjohnc wrote:The SF Bay Area's annual housing/real estate report came in today.

The median price for a home in the county I grew up in is $1,300,000. In the county I live in now, across the Bay, it's $990,000. Housing prices have gone up 4-5% across the board here in the last year.

Oh bore off.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Apr 2018, 23:59

Samoan wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:The SF Bay Area's annual housing/real estate report came in today.

Oh bore off.

I don't know who can afford that? That was my point.

I can't.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 26 Apr 2018, 08:29

That so ?
It was a post on property prices in Ca. It was Not random stuff about Your day.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Apr 2018, 14:25

So this year they made grass legal in Ca. I had no idea how easy it is to obtain it. Yesterday, I merely walked into a dispensary, gave them my driver's license, and walked into a room filled with jars of marijuana and the salesmen told me all about them and let me smell any one I wanted. There was even an ATM in the lobby. Needless to say I came out with three different types, and a new bong as well.

The place is even on my street!

The first thing I did after getting high was laugh my ass off at Roussety's claim that Smokey Robinson had no soul! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's the next morning, and that shit still kills...

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 26 Apr 2018, 14:30

Matt Wilson wrote:So this year they made grass legal in Ca. I had no idea who easy it is to obtain it. Yesterday, I merely walked into a dispensary, gave them my driver's license, and walked into a room filled with jars of marijuana and the salesmen told me all about them and let me smell any one I wanted. There was even an ATM in the lobby. Needless to say I came out with three different types, and a new bong as well.

The place is even on my street!

The first thing I did after getting high was laugh my ass off at Rousetty's claim that Smokey Robinson had no soul! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's the next morning, and that shit still kills...

Sounds delightful - if only they sold hashish and acid, too.
Why the driving license, though, Matt? Surely they didn't need to ID you for age (no offence meant...)?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Return to “Nextdoorland”