MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Apr 2018, 20:11

I don't get the new DirectTV commercial where the woman chucks all the guy's stuff down on the front lawn from a second story apartment and then immediately starts watching her DirectTV. Seems like they're alienating half of the population and the half that watches the most TV.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 15 Apr 2018, 20:16

Spend what little free time I have on Sunday sorting out work stuff because other people got their planning screwed up and what should have been arranged by them weeks ago falls to me to arrange the evening before.

Send it all out then get a reply from the cover teacher saying he can't do all the lessons I've just mailed him about because the bosses had a meeting on Friday and decided to get him doing something else this week, presumably deciding that I - as this guy's direct line manager - didn't need to be in the loop.

Draft a mail telling everyone to stick it up their bell-ends.

Delete draft and instead mail out saying I will speak to people individually in the morning..

Get beer from fridge.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Apr 2018, 20:26

PENK wrote:Spend what little free time I have on Sunday sorting out work stuff because other people got their planning screwed up and what should have been arranged by them weeks ago falls to me to arrange the evening before.

Send it all out then get a reply from the cover teacher saying he can't do all the lessons I've just mailed him about because the bosses had a meeting on Friday and decided to get him doing something else this week, presumably deciding that I - as this guy's direct line manager - didn't need to be in the loop.

Draft a mail telling everyone to stick it up their bell-ends.

Delete draft and instead mail out saying I will speak to people individually in the morning..

Get beer from fridge.

:lol:

I've had this conversation with my son and his friends this weekend regarding getting everyone on the same page. They wanted to stay at my place after swimming yesterday and watch a movie. I told them I was meeting a friend in Berkeley for dinner so I couldn't. I told them to arrange an alternative, but let all the players know what they were planning so they could plan - meaning my ex wife and other moms and dads so schedules could be arranged.

I hate this kind of shit you write about.

We have a new kid at work - smart kid, grad in stats from UC Berkeley - but I'm having to tell him to cc people on email, set priorities and expectations for co-workers so they can deal with it.

I sent him an email week before last with spreadsheets I needed for addit. info for and my first sentence in the email was, "This is a pass-along" project." Last week, I asked him if he'd received the info and he told me he hasn't sent the email. I told him, "Did you read the first sentence?"

He passed the email along to the appropriate person and got the info back in 15 minutes so I got the info I needed a week and 15 minutes later than I should have.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 15 Apr 2018, 20:34

On the bright side, I just learned that there is an animal called the Macaroni Penguin.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 15 Apr 2018, 22:38

I have just booked yet another weekend trip to St Helier, our tenth in as many months. My MOL's condition seems to be undetermined, but she is in severe pain all the time, and it seems to be related to her spine rather than the fracture in her hip, which appears to be some months old and has not , as far as we know, given her problems up til now. So we don't know if she will be in the hospital or in the home, or how she will be. So all very stressful, and increasingly frustrating, as she has no idea what is going on or where she is. It is going to be a rough trip.
At the same time my mother is increasingly unwell. She is refusing to take her pills, refusing to see the doctor and point blank refusing to go to the hospital, or back to the care home where she was so well looked after last time she was poorly. We seem to have half the population of West Sussex involved in her day to day care, and she is still uncomfortable, ill tempered and miserable. I don't know how much longer my poor sister can put up with it. I don't know how much longer my mother will either.
I suppose this comes to all of us at some point, but at the moment I have to say it is getting me down more than a little. There has to be a better way surely?
You don't like me...do you?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Apr 2018, 16:14

yomptepi wrote:I have just booked yet another weekend trip to St Helier, our tenth in as many months. My MOL's condition seems to be undetermined, but she is in severe pain all the time, and it seems to be related to her spine rather than the fracture in her hip, which appears to be some months old and has not , as far as we know, given her problems up til now. So we don't know if she will be in the hospital or in the home, or how she will be. So all very stressful, and increasingly frustrating, as she has no idea what is going on or where she is. It is going to be a rough trip.
At the same time my mother is increasingly unwell. She is refusing to take her pills, refusing to see the doctor and point blank refusing to go to the hospital, or back to the care home where she was so well looked after last time she was poorly. We seem to have half the population of West Sussex involved in her day to day care, and she is still uncomfortable, ill tempered and miserable. I don't know how much longer my poor sister can put up with it. I don't know how much longer my mother will either.
I suppose this comes to all of us at some point, but at the moment I have to say it is getting me down more than a little. There has to be a better way surely?

Getting it from both sides is tough. An old co-worker friend of mine called me a few weeks ago because she is dealing with the same stuff as her mom and she lives out-of-state and her sister is having to deal with it - one of the kids usually does.

If I had to do it over again, I would have insisted my dad go into a home sooner vs. later, but it was two against one, the one being me.

The trick is finding the right place, which from experience, takes some time.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 16 Apr 2018, 16:36

can only sympathize with your situation Yomp. very similar to what we had the last few years.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Apr 2018, 16:41

On Friday, my brother called me about some tax forms he should have received from my dad's trusts and annuities. Long story short, my brother referred me to his accountant and he found some major mistakes that H&R Block, my tax preparer, didn't catch. My brother's accountant offered to look at my taxes for possibly amending them and he just emailed me. I'm getting nearly $27,000 back on my amended return. This guy was an accounting professor at a regional university and business dept. head at another, so I trust he knows what he's doing. He chided me for using H&R Block.

He lives in my hometown and I was going that way anyway so I met him at his house, early Saturday morning. I mentioned I didn't recognize any of the businesses on Woodside Rd., a major thoroughfare through the city. I namechecked one of the businesses still there, a donut shop that's been there for years, and he said he had owned that one and a couple others in neighboring towns.

I asked him, as a finance person, why donut shops? He told me that he was doing another donut shop owner's accounting and saw how much money he was making so decided to get into the businesses himself. He said he made a good chunka change on those three donut shops during the years.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Apr 2018, 17:31

I'm currently watching NCAA women's bowling, are you really telling me you can get a full ride if you're good at bowling? :shock:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Apr 2018, 17:57

Dr Markus wrote:I'm currently watching NCAA women's bowling, are you really telling me you can get a full ride if you're good at bowling? :shock:

I saw that was on ESPN this weekend. It must suck when you lose contracts for NBA playoffs and can only show baseball at certain times.

The other thing ESPN was showing was women's college softball.

But, to answer your question. . .

If you are looking to play at the college level, some of the top schools include Wichita State University, University of Nebraska, New Jersey City University, and Vanderbilt University. These schools' bowling programs award scholarships based on talent. As bowling has become more high-visibility and more popular among student athletes, the level of competition has increased for school-funded scholarships. Much of the funding is controlled by organizations like the NCAA, which also means there is a great amount of emphasis placed on not only talent but academic records, as those awarded scholarships must meet certain GPA requirements.

A particularly good resource for bowling scholarships is the USBC, as it is the national governing body of bowling as recognized by the USOC. This organization requires a membership and bowling is a good example of a sport where it would be wise to utilize any connections to local leagues and organizations. If you're good enough to play on your local league's team, chances are you're eligible for a number of scholarships. Most cities, states and regions also have their own bowling associations and scholarship funds earmarked for participants in their groups, or residents of those areas. These local awards often emphasize criteria outside of bowling, including community service, academic achievement and financial need.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Apr 2018, 18:00

I'm too lazy to read all that, so i'm just gonna guess you said "Yes you can, oh graciously brilliant and honorable Mark, sir".
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Apr 2018, 23:04

Dr Markus wrote:I'm too lazy to read all that, so i'm just gonna guess you said "Yes you can, oh graciously brilliant and honorable Mark, sir".

You got 1/10th of the response correct.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Apr 2018, 23:12

sloopjohnc wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:I'm too lazy to read all that, so i'm just gonna guess you said "Yes you can, oh graciously brilliant and honorable Mark, sir".

You got 1/10th of the response correct.

The words "lazy to read".

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Apr 2018, 15:26

We’re in New York at the minute. We just went round the corner for breakfast without realising that Trump tower is a couple of blocks away. There was a guy outside on a bike, in a helmet and everything like he was on his way to work, stood screaming at the top of his voice at the tower and all the bemused cops. ‘You shitshow, we’re gonna vote you out and I am glad I live in a country where I have the right to STAND HERE and call you an ASSHOLE oh yeah you’re all going down’ etc etc. Dressed all nicely for his day at the office. With a quick drive by YELLING. Fantastic stuff.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 18 Apr 2018, 10:05

Minnie the Minx wrote:We’re in New York at the minute. We just went round the corner for breakfast without realising that Trump tower is a couple of blocks away. There was a guy outside on a bike, in a helmet and everything like he was on his way to work, stood screaming at the top of his voice at the tower and all the bemused cops. ‘You shitshow, we’re gonna vote you out and I am glad I live in a country where I have the right to STAND HERE and call you an ASSHOLE oh yeah you’re all going down’ etc etc. Dressed all nicely for his day at the office. With a quick drive by YELLING. Fantastic stuff.

I love that. We could all be a little more New York.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Apr 2018, 21:18

hippopotamus wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:We’re in New York at the minute. We just went round the corner for breakfast without realising that Trump tower is a couple of blocks away. There was a guy outside on a bike, in a helmet and everything like he was on his way to work, stood screaming at the top of his voice at the tower and all the bemused cops. ‘You shitshow, we’re gonna vote you out and I am glad I live in a country where I have the right to STAND HERE and call you an ASSHOLE oh yeah you’re all going down’ etc etc. Dressed all nicely for his day at the office. With a quick drive by YELLING. Fantastic stuff.

Or less.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Apr 2018, 21:30

Jane Wiedlin of the Go Go's viewed my profile on match.com. I guess she lives in Oakland these days. That's what it said anyway.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 18 Apr 2018, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Apr 2018, 21:38

hippopotamus wrote:

I agree. It was quite a sight! I hope he stops off to do it every day.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Apr 2018, 21:49

sloopjohnc wrote:Jane Wiedlin of the Go Go's viewed my profile on match.com. I guess she lives in Oakland these days. That's what it said anyway.

And here you are telling all the world about it! I guess your lips aren't sealed.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

NMB

Postby NMB » 18 Apr 2018, 22:00

sloopjohnc wrote:Jane Wiedlin of the Go Go's viewed my profile on match.com. I guess she lives in Oakland these days. That's what it said anyway.

How do you know it was that Jane Wiedlin ? Does her profile say “of the Go Go’s” ?

If she didn’t contact you I assume she just thought “out of my league”. Or “nah, sleeveless t-shirt”.
turn on, tune in, nod off