MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Mar 2018, 21:48

Six String wrote:A micromanager without a sense of urgency sounds like a self flagellating blowhard. Happy trails! I'm constantly amazed at today's business world where people change jobs like socks. I think I feel grateful for working when I did. The lack of continuity would have given me a heart attack at some point. I hate job interviews and only did a handful in my life. Saved again. You alaways come through fine so you must be doing something right.

Sometimes I feel like a guy who's been married five or six times and wonders why he can't find the right girl.

I've never had a job for more than five years so I've learned to always keep my resume current and I have enough experience that I've done every facet of my professional discipline. I think of it like being a baseball manager in that there's a certain shelf life for marketing people until a company finds they want a new one.

The problem with Silicon Valley is that at a certain age you're considered old and at 56, I'm that guy. I walk into interviews with gray hair on the sides at it's over.

My boss is one of those insecure people that tries to cover his flaws with an authoritative front - which I think feeds into his control freakiness.

He's a hoarder too. My co-worker joked to him a year ago when he came back from vacation that I was going to throw away all his old crap while he was out and his eyes got round like saucers. He has tradeshow carpeting stashed in our storage area, for example, which will never ever be used. We just rent that shit from the exhibit hall folks.

He thinks he's fooling people, but his nickname around here is "Last Second Lionel," because he can never focus on stuff until the very last minute. It drives me crazy because I hate to leave stuff until the very end. But hey, it seems to work for him. He hasn't really suffered from it yet as far as I can tell.
OCT wrote:Roger Waters is a cunt and his music is fucking shit.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 29 Mar 2018, 22:53

Kind of fitting that Sloop takes this one to 1,000 pages.
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Mar 2018, 21:38

Having a drink on good Friday, hope Jesus doesn't mind too much. :?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 30 Mar 2018, 21:58

Dr Markus wrote:Having a drink on good Friday, hope Jesus doesn't mind too much. :?

As long as you don't overdo it, he's cool with it.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 30 Mar 2018, 22:06

Personally, I'm loading a big bowl. As far as I know, Jesus offered no opinion on such things. But there are those who think he'd approve.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 31 Mar 2018, 00:34

toomanyhatz wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:Having a drink on good Friday, hope Jesus doesn't mind too much. :?

As long as you don't overdo it, he's cool with it.

On Good Fucking Friday!? Get a grip, man!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 01 Apr 2018, 10:56

It's my 23rd wedding anniversary today. Seems like yesterday.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 01 Apr 2018, 12:58

My son turned 50 yesterday. His family bought him flying lessons as a present. Old, old, old.
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 02 Apr 2018, 00:50

Favorite April Fools joke I heard about today - a friend brought his son (who I think is around 8) a plate full of onions for breakfast, and informed him that his parents had read an article saying that children of his age should eat nothing but onions for at least one meal out of the week, so this would be his breakfast every Sunday from now on.

Apparently he let the boy squirm and complain for a few minutes before the reveal. Then they had a good laugh together.

You just know someday the youngster will pull the same gag on his own child.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 02 Apr 2018, 05:52

So yesterday my car broke down on the M4. I called my road assistance around 6.30. The recovery truck phoned me an hour later to say they're on their way and indeed 2 hours later he arrived but informed me he could not take me further than Reading around 30 mikes down the road. However the insurance company was arranging for a relay truck to get me home.
After freezing my bollocks off for about an hour on the car park the relay truck arrived but told me they could only take me about 40 miles further and then another relay truck would come to take me home.
I said fair enough, not ideal but what can you do. After an hour and a half nobody shows up so I call the insurance to find out what's going on. So after 2 phone calls at around 3 I find out that no truck is coming until 7. It's now almost 6 and am very very tired
I run out of talent

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 03 Apr 2018, 08:23

One of my best friends passed away over the weekend. I wasn't totally surprised as he'd been in and out of rehab and was struggling. Still, it's hit me like a ton of bricks.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 03 Apr 2018, 12:30

Very sorry he didn't make It, Toby.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 03 Apr 2018, 12:42

Toby wrote:One of my best friends passed away over the weekend. I wasn't totally surprised as he'd been in and out of rehab and was struggling. Still, it's hit me like a ton of bricks.

I'm sorry to hear that Toby, I hope you are as well as possible at such a difficult time.

A friend and former colleague of mine died nearly ten years ago from liver failure and other problems brought on by many years of chronic alcoholism. We knew it wasn't an unlikely outcome, but it was still a huge shock when it happened.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 03 Apr 2018, 14:01

Sorry to hear about your friend, Toby. Take care, man.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Apr 2018, 14:38

Sorry Toby love.
And Kaspar I hope you are home safe!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Apr 2018, 21:13

I'm sorry, Toby.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Apr 2018, 17:56

Yeah, sorry to hear that Toby.

Some of you may have seen on Facebook, but I got gout last Thursday, the first time ever, and it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced besides the Scott Walker adoration threads on here.

I went to the ER last Thursday at about 4:15 am, was diagnosed and spent the next three days hobbling around my apartment.

I gave away all the food that has Purine in it, which causes the Uric Acid to rise and gave away all my alcohol. I don't even want to touch alcohol after experiencing that, not even in moderation. I quit drinking last year for five or six months so it's not as hard as it might've been.

I don't know if it's certain foods catching up to me in general, but I'd also started drinking a couple glasses of red wine a night, which I haven't done before.

I felt sluggish the last couple months even though I was working out, but just in the last four days, I have tons more energy eating a lot healthier. Chicken is the only kind of meat I've had and that's been once.

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Apr 2018, 18:08

No more patty melts? :o Sorry to hear of your health issue John. I've been told by people who have gout that the pain can be really bad. I hope it gets sorted soon enough. S there a vegetarian version of patty melts?

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Apr 2018, 18:10

Toby wrote:One of my best friends passed away over the weekend. I wasn't totally surprised as he'd been in and out of rehab and was struggling. Still, it's hit me like a ton of bricks.

I'm sorry to hear this Toby. I hope your pain will subside in time.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Apr 2018, 18:27

Six String wrote:No more patty melts? :o Sorry to hear of your health issue John. I've been told by people who have gout that the pain can be really bad. I hope it gets sorted soon enough. S there a vegetarian version of patty melts?

That's what Baron mentioned on Facebook - the days of patty melts, corn dogs, and salami are now only a memory. I feel like I've lost an old friend.

I've been eating veggie patties since. Not the same, but I can live with it.

Yesterday, I took the kids out to lunch because they have Spring Break. We ordered veggie pizza.