MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Flower

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Flower » 25 Oct 2019, 19:26

Jimbo wrote:First of all if Six String doesn't show these entries to his grandchildren someday they will be missing something special. Some of the best and most vivid BCB writing ever. I'm like reading a western noir novel and I'm waiting for you to accidentally kill a drunk and ride to some more interesting places while you evade the law.

Agreed .. also kudos to both Six String and Rebecca for being in a car for such a long trip and not getting on each other's nerves. Or at least not enough for Six String to write about it. ;)

Jimbo wrote:Today at the gym I had just entered when an old Japanese guy in gym gear approached me and asked if I spoke Japanese. I took a chance that it would be a simple conversation so I said I did. He then said some words about food and and I th9ought I heard him say "California."

"California?" I asked, because California didn't jive.

"No," he said, "Catholic." "Do Catholic people eat pork?"

"Yes, they do. It's Jews and Muslims who don't. But," I went on, "for a long time Catholics didn't eat meat on Fridays."

Suddenly he ran off to his friend to tell him what he had learned. Either the guy had won a bet or settled an argument. Remember my Japanese friends: When in doubt ask the white guy. 8-)

I wonder what prompted the question and if the guy told his friends the answer that you gave him or the one that he wanted ... :lol: When in doubt, I ask Google, don't trust those white guys ... :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

quix

Postby quix » 25 Oct 2019, 20:55

Nice to see my thread is still alive!

I haven’t logged in or visited for around a year now... what’s new?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2019, 20:59

Oh, you know! Just dreaming about my dead mum STILL
:D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

quix

Postby quix » 25 Oct 2019, 21:06

Minnie the Minx wrote:Oh, you know! Just dreaming about my dead mum STILL

I hear ya. I’m still dreaming about my daughter who’s locked in a house which resembles an escher painting. I can hear her through walls screaming and sobbing for me to find her and help her but I can’t get to the room cos it keeps moving around inside the house.

Oh well.

Are you still swivelling around on that chair?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2019, 21:17

I don’t know what what chair you mean, but I am indeed in a chair that swivels currently.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

quix

Postby quix » 25 Oct 2019, 21:26

Minnie the Minx wrote:I don’t know what what chair you mean, but I am indeed in a chair that swivels currently.

One of the first ever random thread conversations was between you and I. You were swivelling on a chair. I think I had just eaten a banana. At that time the thread was called random mundane facts about your day. I can’t remember though what had happened to you. Hmmm... now I’m wondering if you were eating the banana.

It’s nice to reminisce sometimes.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Oct 2019, 21:39

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Oct 2019, 23:04

@Jimbo, thanks but no grandchildren so .......
Re:Terlingua, I forgot to memtion that the town voted for a goat as mayor and he won and later when he passed they voted in another goat to replace him. Not surprisingly the goats were beer drinkers. No, really. The Honorable Clay Henry was stuffed and resides in the Starlight Theatre where we ate. His head and neck stretched towards the stars with a beer bottle in his mouth. :D The cemetary was pretty cool looking. Mostly crosses made of two sticks tied together though there were a few small traditional looking stones too. It is still accepting bodies but it goes back to the mercury mining days.

We pulled into Marfa, TX around noon. Besides being a quirky art town (we're a drinking town with an art problem) it is known for the mysterious lights https://www.livescience.com/37579-what- ... texas.html We wandered around town on foot as everything is probably within a half a mile of the hotel. We are at the Hotel Paisano which hosted Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor and maybe a few others when they made the movie Giant here in 1955. They have large prints of b&w photos all over the hotel which are cool. Interesting to see Liz in mud caked boots.

We visited a coffee house that also serves cocktails and are having an open house for local artists today so we may drop buy after dinner. After a cappuccino we looked around the neighborhood and then returned for a shot of Mezcal and Soto, the latter is another beverage made from a cactus I wasn't familiar with. It was smokier than the Mezcal. We're plannng on drivIng a little ways out of town after dinner for the lights. Hopefully they will show themselves. There's a wedding party tonight at the hotel restaurant so we can't eat there tonight but there's a Mediterranean place less than a block away.

I apologize for not being able to post images as it would help illustrate some things so you'll have to use your imagination. This part of Texas is a trip. It seems like the weirdness of Austin moved west.

Edit: @Flower We're getting along great but wondered how it would go as we've probably never been together this much without a break ever.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 26 Oct 2019, 02:31

This week I got to thinking how out of all the things that getting older brings, one of the strangest ones to adapt to is that all of a sudden, especially if you live a long way from your family, you start thinking about planning the next time you see them in terms of "they might not live that long." This isn't even age or illness related, but we just had to cancel my 71 year old stepmum's visit to Austin in November as there was a sudden illness in the family. I'm consumed with the thought "what if she dies before she comes back?" which is ghoulish but I can't stop thinking about it. And I have no idea when I started thinking these thoughts. It just crept into my subconscious, just out of nowhere. Being out of England magnifies it, but I am pretty sure it would be there anyway.

I find this a way more tiresome factor of ageing than almost anything. Everything develops a kind of urgency.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 Oct 2019, 03:35

Dinner in Marfa was amazing. Best meal on the trip where we have had a lot of unique meals. We ate at the Mediterranean place. The broccoli leek cake we had as an appetizer was superb. The waiter didn't ask how we wanted our lambchops but after wondering I realized if they didn't ask that meant they would do the right thing which they did. Arriving rare they were the best tasting chops I've had in years. The waiter was fantastic. Rebecca complimented him on his knit hat and he said he loved her face. The restaurant has communal sitting so we sat with a couple from San Antonio (my hometown) and Reno (90 minutes east of home).

Then we walked down to Capri, a bar/art space. The bar is typcal hip but the artist space is extra large, like a major gallery. Everything was by Shea Slemmer and they were large 4X4 ft pieces of abstract art very evocative of the natural world around here. Amazing work, free shots of good Mezcal.

This place is really special and I highly recommend a visit if you are anywhere close by. Big Bend is not that far away and you need to go there too. You can sleep in a tee pee! The only reason we had to pass was because we were only staying one night on a Friday night so understandable. We've been staying in a lot of budget places do to the length of the trip but I'm glad I chose this place in Marfa. We have some long days ahead on our way back home. The next place of note will be Joshua Tree Inn where Graham bit the dust. We'll be in room 7 next to 8 (the room). Another bucket list thing to check off.

I almost forgot about the Andy Warhol exhibit at the Ayn Foundation Gallery from NYC. They decided that they wanted a presence in Marfa. A little town in West Texas draws the attention of NYC. :o The pieces were The Last Supper, yes that one. A really great story. (Andy's not Jesus).

This really is a lovely town I could live in.
Last edited by Six String on 30 Oct 2019, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 26 Oct 2019, 22:50

Great stuff, Six!
I must make it back out there. I'd like to check out Fort Davis, Marfa, and Terlingua.
When I went to Big Bend (maybe 20 years ago) we were able to swim in the Rio Grande and it was amazing. I would've liked to have had time to take the trip to Boquilas, which I imagine is much more complicated.

Which way are y'all headed back? I remember you saying you were taken the southern route . . .
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 26 Oct 2019, 22:54

I'm trying to get going on a big (probably 50 pages or so single spaced) law paper I have to write by the spring for the spring/summer continuing education cycle. I haven't been able to get started. I've done something similar recently, and am still sort of paralyzed about the best way to gather my research in a good way and actually get started. I just wrote a basic outline and now I'm . . . telling you about it here (and streaming the new Neil Young record). Errr . . . back to work.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 Oct 2019, 00:21

Still Baron wrote:Great stuff, Six!
I must make it back out there. I'd like to check out Fort Davis, Marfa, and Terlingua.
When I went to Big Bend (maybe 20 years ago) we were able to swim in the Rio Grande and it was amazing. I would've liked to have had time to take the trip to Boquilas, which I imagine is much more complicated.

Which way are y'all headed back? I remember you saying you were taken the southern route . . .

We hit I-10 in Van Horn and passed through the infamous checkpoint in Sierra Blanca where Willie, Snoop Dog and Fiona Apple got harassed. It was closed on our side of the road so we sailed through. We are staying the night in Lordsburg, NM which is just a spit in the road so we are eating in our room tonight. Sausage, cheddar cheese, water crackers and "brocoli slaw" with a great bottle of Gigondas we got at Spec's in Austin. We had a long drive today so we're going to chill with the World Series tonight as we missed it last night since Marfa was happening. Tomorrow we are in Gila Bend, AZ which is south of Phoenix so we avoid that clusterfuck traffic wise and will arrive in Joshua Tree the following day. I think I'm feeling a bit of burnout from the road as is Rebecca but we're still chuggling along. Hopefully we'll have plenty of energy next Friday for the Dia de los Muertos party our friends throw every year.

Listening to Dawganova, David Grissom's take on a bluegrass/bossa nova style. The pono player shines in a hotel!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Oct 2019, 00:39

I've spent the night in Van Horn and . . . there are some VERY STRANGE vibes out there.

Sail on!

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 Oct 2019, 00:58

Still Baron wrote:I'm trying to get going on a big (probably 50 pages or so single spaced) law paper I have to write by the spring for the spring/summer continuing education cycle. I haven't been able to get started. I've done something similar recently, and am still sort of paralyzed about the best way to gather my research in a good way and actually get started. I just wrote a basic outline and now I'm . . . telling you about it here (and streaming the new Neil Young record). Errr . . . back to work.

Better to start early and have time to refine it, not that I had that sort of perspective back in the day.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Oct 2019, 12:27

More wet leaves to pick up off the sidewalk .. the ones in the garden will stay until the Spring and the danger of frost is gone. Unfortunately, some idiots don't understand how important this is but then again .. ignorance is bliss and there are many very blissful people around. SIGH.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 Oct 2019, 22:12

A good night sleep last night in Lordsburg which is about all it's good for besides watching the Atros wollop the Nationals. Another long stretch of road and we moved into saguaro and chollas country which helped refresh the highway scenery. Speaking of scenery I forgot to mention that on the road south from Fort Stockton to Big Bend we saw a real live cattle drive with cowboys on horses and a long line of cattle two or three abreast moving parallel with the road.

We arrived in Gila Bend for a night at the Space Age Lodge. The office looks like a planetarium but instead of stars, you look up at murals of spacecraft. We were a little early so we walked across the street to Little Italy, a restaurant. Walking in we were greeted by a combination of Halloween decorations and aliens. There was a lifesize figure that looked like grandpa from The Addams Family show wearing a tshirt advertising the restaurant that says "If you like my meatballs you're going to love my sausage." They had an article from the local paper (once a week) with pictures of Prince Harry who was here in 2011 for military helicopter training and he and his buds stopped in for pizza (meat lover's) and he handwrote a letter to the owner who missed all the excitement due to a dust storm. The Trip Advisor has given the place an award of excellence for four years running so you know it's good. ;)

We are resting our weary bones with a little snack and a Sardegna Vermentino in the room before walking across the road for dinner and plan on staying in our room for the evening to watch Houston take the lead in the World Series.

Tomorrow we land at Joshua Tree National Park, staying at the Inn where Gram Parson had his last hurrah. We're in room 7 next to his (8) which is pretty much perpetually reserved. I don't have any lyrcs of his songs memorized so I'm hoping someone there will be able to lead any singing that might happen. Stay tuned!
Last edited by Six String on 27 Oct 2019, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Oct 2019, 22:16

Excellent stuff Les! Sounds like you’re having a wild time!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 Oct 2019, 22:22

It's been surreal.

In a good way.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Oct 2019, 22:24

I’ve been working my way through Deborah Madison’s excellent cookbooks - and today amongst other things made a barley, corn and bean soup with sage which is delicious.

Now sat in the back garden wishing Texas could be like this more often - it’s cool, sunny and even all the bluejays and cardinals seem to be appreciating it.

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Nextdoorland”