:lol: Close!

Six String

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 08 Feb 2018, 23:49

Bernie on FB wrote:
Six String wrote:
Bernie on FB wrote:
I just cooked it differently.
I cubed it into 1cm cubes, coated with cornflour and deep fried in Canola oil for a couple of minutes. Then caramelised onions and cumin seeds in a pan for a while, then added ginger, garlic and chillis, then added tomato purée, sugar, pepper, salt and soy sauce and some water, then after 10 mins added tofu and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.

Was it the coating that was different or frying or both? :? Sorry to belabour this but I am interested.

I think it was the coating and the frying technique. I'm a bit ashamed to say I thought I knew how to cook tofu - I didn't. I would soak uncooked tofu in hot sauce and soy sauce and whatever and then shallow fry it on a high heat. It was always wet and soggy and flabby and never had a satisfying crunch and chew. My tofu life has been turned upside down!

An old gf used to bread her tofu pieces and brown them in oil and set aside while cooking the veges in a wok and then careful reintroduce the tofu into the wok without losing the batter. I don't remember if she used anything other than flour. That was thirty + years ago. It was one of my favorite ways to ear tofu.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 09 Feb 2018, 21:33

Nephew's confirmation tomorrow. Standard is 50 euro in a card. 50 fucking euro!!!!!!!!. I think I got 5 punt per card. Punt was before euro in Ireland. 50 fucking euro!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Feb 2018, 21:46

The Great Defector wrote:Nephew's confirmation tomorrow. Standard is 50 euro in a card. 50 fucking euro!!!!!!!!. I think I got 5 punt per card. Punt was before euro in Ireland. 50 fucking euro!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just put a note in the card saying that you being his uncle is at least worth 50 euro and he should be paying you, but you'll call it even.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Feb 2018, 16:47

My son and I were goofing around and I was pretending to beat him up and kill him.

He said, "I want to go to hell."

I told him, "Hell's too good for you, they wouldn't have you."

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Feb 2018, 18:47

I wrote a jaunty little tune today. The verse is D, A, G6, A (fifth fret), pre-chorus of Bm, G and chorus of D, E7, D, A7sus, Bm, A, D.

When I was playing it for my guitar teacher, I said it sounds like a commercial jingle. . .

Eat your yogurt every day,
Don't throw it out, put it away,
Eat your yogurt, Yo Plait. . .

I played it for my son without the lyrics when I got home and he said, "It sounds like a commercial."

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 10 Feb 2018, 19:51

I got a wine fridge from work that's been sitting unused since I started there four years ago. Now I have a beer fridge AND a wine fridge in my basement. What a wanker!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 11 Feb 2018, 15:43

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I got a wine fridge from work that's been sitting unused since I started there four years ago. Now I have a beer fridge AND a wine fridge in my basement. What a wanker!

Party at Harv’s!!!!!
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Feb 2018, 16:16

During driving lessons this weekend, my son's friend had a good line. "Hey, Mr. Crook, when are you going to teach us to text and drive?"

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Feb 2018, 21:51

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I got a wine fridge from work that's been sitting unused since I started there four years ago. Now I have a beer fridge AND a wine fridge in my basement. What a wanker!

Why would one need a WINE fridge? That implies that you're - *GASP!!* drinking white wine!
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 13 Feb 2018, 13:54

toomanyhatz wrote:

Why would one need a WINE fridge? That implies that you're - *GASP!!* drinking white wine!

I guess the proper term for it is "wine cooler", and it keeps red wine at the optimal temperature for long-term storage. I don't mind white wine once in a while, but it can go in the regular fridge :) .
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Feb 2018, 17:01

toomanyhatz wrote:

Isn't red wine for meat eaters?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 13 Feb 2018, 17:22

sloopjohnc wrote:Isn't red wine for meat eaters?

No.

In theory most kinds of fish pair better with white than red, but there's some exceptions to that - salmon, for example. And for a vegetarian diet - particularly if there's mushrooms or any kind of fake meat involved - red pairs better with almost everything.

Likewise I will drink a good white once in a blue moon, but generally speaking I am not a fan.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Feb 2018, 17:47

toomanyhatz wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Isn't red wine for meat eaters?

No.

In theory most kinds of fish pair better with white than red, but there's some exceptions to that - salmon, for example. And for a vegetarian diet - particularly if there's mushrooms or any kind of fake meat involved - red pairs better with almost everything.

Likewise I will drink a good white once in a blue moon, but generally speaking I am not a fan.

Not to mention tomato based dishes and some cheeses like blue.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 13 Feb 2018, 19:40

I am trying to find a diplomatic way of explaining to some angry parents that the reason their daughter has detention on Friday is because we do not think "I went with my friend to the nurse because she'd hurt her knee, and the nurse wasn't there so we waited" is a good reason for her having missed an entire hour-long Maths lesson.

The mind boggles at what must go on in some family's homes.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 13 Feb 2018, 21:39

PENK wrote:I am trying to find a diplomatic way of explaining to some angry parents that the reason their daughter has detention on Friday is because we do not think "I went with my friend to the nurse because she'd hurt her knee, and the nurse wasn't there so we waited" is a good reason for her having missed an entire hour-long Maths lesson.

The mind boggles at what must go on in some family's homes.

Two little boys by Rolf Harris , that's all I'm saying on the matter.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Feb 2018, 22:08

PENK wrote:I am trying to find a diplomatic way of explaining to some angry parents that the reason their daughter has detention on Friday is because we do not think "I went with my friend to the nurse because she'd hurt her knee, and the nurse wasn't there so we waited" is a good reason for her having missed an entire hour-long Maths lesson.

Sounds like something I might have tried, but I doubt we would have taken the most direct route to the nurse's office.

Heck, it's only detention. Detention is like an overnight stay in county jail. Builds character.

It could be worse - it could be on the weekend and Judd Nelson and Emilio Estevez could be doing it with her.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Feb 2018, 19:20

I've been fighting a bad cold the last couple days and really didn't want to go to work today. But sometimes, you have to fake it to make it and just step out the door. I took some daytime cold medicine before I left my apartment and now I just feel kinda sick at work vs. really sick at work because I'm doing stuff and can't really focus on being sick.

I'll probably feel crappy again as it gets to later afternoon and get home, but at least I'm not just sitting like a turd in my apartment watching shitty daytime TV.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 14 Feb 2018, 20:16

sloopjohnc wrote:I've been fighting a bad cold the last couple days and really didn't want to go to work today. But sometimes, you have to fake it to make it and just step out the door. I took some daytime cold medicine before I left my apartment and now I just feel kinda sick at work vs. really sick at work because I'm doing stuff and can't really focus on being sick.

I'll probably feel crappy again as it gets to later afternoon and get home, but at least I'm not just sitting like a turd in my apartment watching shitty daytime TV.

You're lighting it up on BCB so there is that!
I run out of talent

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 14 Feb 2018, 20:28

sloopjohnc wrote:I've been fighting a bad cold the last couple days and really didn't want to go to work today. But sometimes, you have to fake it to make it and just step out the door. I took some daytime cold medicine before I left my apartment and now I just feel kinda sick at work vs. really sick at work because I'm doing stuff and can't really focus on being sick.

I just went through a bout of the flu that lasted well over 2 weeks. There's an epidemic here with older people clogging up the hospitals, some even dying from it. Really bad. Hope it's "only" a cold and not the flu.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Return to “Nextdoorland”