MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Insouciant Western People

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Insouciant Western People » 16 Feb 2018, 12:48

Just found out I've passed all four taught modules of my part time Master's degree, and I can now progress to the dissertation, I've got a year to submit it.

I'm over the moon, and not a little relieved. I was sure I'd screwed up in a big way on one of the final essays.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Feb 2018, 12:52

Nick wrote:Just found out I've passed all four taught modules of my part time Master's degree, and I can now progress to the dissertation, I've got a year to submit it.

I'm over the moon, and not a little relieved. I was sure I'd screwed up in a big way on one of the final essays.

What's it in? "Cultural contributions of belle and Sebastian" ;)
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 16 Feb 2018, 13:53

Nick wrote:Just found out I've passed all four taught modules of my part time Master's degree, and I can now progress to the dissertation, I've got a year to submit it.

Oh congrats!! Life is pretty challenging on its own, without all those times you go out of your way to make it even harder... but it's worth it when you find yourself getting through them and achieving all those things. Having just sat the first 2 parts of my membership exams, I know how you feel. Good luck with the dissertation!
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Feb 2018, 14:21

That's great news Nick, you fucking smartarse! Well done! X
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 16 Feb 2018, 14:23

What's the MA in? Well done btw.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 16 Feb 2018, 16:12

Thank you all for the kind words :D

It's an MA in Terrorism & Security Studies. For my dissertation I'm thinking about looking at the state terror apparatus of the Iraqi Ba'ath regime, or maybe the post-war insurgencies that the British encountered in places like Malaya, Kenya, Aden, Dhofar and/or Cyprus. I need to sit down with my supervisor and discuss ideas though, and then get a formal proposal together.

I've really enjoyed studying part time, but it's been a grind at times too, fitting it in in the evenings or at weekends, and my self-discipline's often been lacking. I'm excited about the dissertation though, looking forward to really getting into a subject in some depth.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Feb 2018, 16:14

Nick wrote:Thank you all for the kind words :D

It's an MA in Terrorism & Security Studies. For my dissertation I'm thinking about looking at the state terror apparatus of the Iraqi Ba'ath regime, or maybe the post-war insurgencies that the British encountered in places like Malaya, Kenya, Aden, Dhofar and/or Cyprus. I need to sit down with my supervisor and discuss ideas though, and then get a formal proposal together.

I've really enjoyed studying part time, but it's been a grind at times too, fitting it in in the evenings or at weekends, and my self-discipline's often been lacking. I'm excited about the dissertation though, looking forward to really getting into a subject in some depth.

Fuck, hardly light reading in that MA.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 16 Feb 2018, 17:34

Congrats Nick!
Don't forget to interview Jimbo for your dissertation.
I run out of talent

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 17 Feb 2018, 07:27

Well done! There are a couple of other areas you might consider :D
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Feb 2018, 00:00

Congratulations! Well done.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 Feb 2018, 15:29

Holy crap, our neighborhood is in the national news:

Police: Uber Eats delivery flees after customer shot, killed in Buckhead

A 30-year-old man died of injuries after a shooting in Buckhead that police believe involved an Uber Eats driver.

Witnesses told Atlanta police the man ordered food via a smartphone app to be delivered to the 2800 block of Pharr Court South about 11:30 p.m. Saturday, Atlanta police spokeswoman Stephanie Brown said.

This happened on our block. It's the building at the end of our street.

:shock:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 19 Feb 2018, 19:07

Bloody hell, Count :(
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 Feb 2018, 19:44

I know! This sort of stuff happens, I know...Atlanta's not the safest place in the whole damn world, of course.
But this was just so close to us...I was asleep but La Contessa heard the shots.
We go down to this building pretty often for walks. Isabella likes their fountain.
The shooter is still on the lam. I heard a rumor he wasn't the actual UberEats driver, but a passenger.

edit: dude has turned himself in link
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Feb 2018, 12:22

My nephew has the whole bold but in a cheeky way rather than pure son of evil way. So my sister was taking him along with her two daughters out shopping. She said, that if they were good, she'd get them a McDonalds. Of course he acted up and was told no McDonalds. So they landed in and when my sister was ready to order, with his cute sad 3 year old face said, "just get me a "sad" meal". Heart of my sister was duly melted and he got something. Kids can be wee conniving..........My ma was telling me this story and was gushing over him. I reminded her, that when I acted up in public at that age, I got slapped across the arse, and would have to watch my sister eat her McDonalds and I would have just gotten something to eat at home.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 20 Feb 2018, 23:06

I’ve never been comfortable with the idea of using McDonald’s as a reward to get kids to behave. Be good and get rewarded with shit food? I use to treat my kid with home made burgers and he grew up disliking the McDonalds ones which really pleased me.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 21 Feb 2018, 14:08

Jenny the dog got into a scrap with another raccoon last night in our backyard. Christ almighty, what an awful racket that was. One second I was in my kitchen making a salad to go with the pizza we were about to enjoy, and the next I'm outside in my slippers whacking a screeching raccoon with a snow-shovel and trying to get the dog to leave it alone for two seconds so it could run up the tree to safety all while trying to avoid getting bit or scratched by either of them. After finally getting them separated I had to bathe the dog and tend to the fresh batch of cuts on her face while trying to get us both calmed down. I didn't have much appetite after that and there's some cold margherita pizza in the fridge if anybody wants some.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 21 Feb 2018, 14:19

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Jenny the dog got into a scrap with another raccoon last night in our backyard. Christ almighty, what an awful racket that was. One second I was in my kitchen making a salad to go with the pizza we were about to enjoy, and the next I'm outside in my slippers whacking a screeching raccoon with a snow-shovel and trying to get the dog to leave it alone for two seconds so it could run up the tree to safety all while trying to avoid getting bit or scratched by either of them. After finally getting them separated I had to bathe the dog and tend to the fresh batch of cuts on her face while trying to get us both calmed down. I didn't have much appetite after that and there's some cold margherita pizza in the fridge if anybody wants some.

So, not this scene then?

Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 21 Feb 2018, 14:29

:D

Not even close.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Feb 2018, 13:49

souphound wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:Jenny the dog got into a scrap with another raccoon last night in our backyard. Christ almighty, what an awful racket that was. One second I was in my kitchen making a salad to go with the pizza we were about to enjoy, and the next I'm outside in my slippers whacking a screeching raccoon with a snow-shovel and trying to get the dog to leave it alone for two seconds so it could run up the tree to safety all while trying to avoid getting bit or scratched by either of them. After finally getting them separated I had to bathe the dog and tend to the fresh batch of cuts on her face while trying to get us both calmed down. I didn't have much appetite after that and there's some cold margherita pizza in the fridge if anybody wants some.

So, not this scene then?

:lol:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 22 Feb 2018, 15:04

Just had the pleasure of sorting out a leak to the waste of our kitchen sink. It is a double drainer with a dishwasher input, so it is very complicated ,and it took me an age to install it a couple of years ago. Getting it all apart and cleaning out the u bends was disgusting. I need a steam shower now. :(
You don't like me...do you?

Return to “Nextdoorland”