MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 10 May 2018, 15:44

This morning as I was in the shower I got it into my head that I was pretty certain that the auction house I work for doesn't have any social media branding on any of its print media. We regularly print catalogues and flyers for upcoming sales and must hand out thousands of these things annually and sure enough, when I got into the office I had a look at a few random flyers and there were no instagram, facebook, twitter, etc. addresses on any of them, so I sent out a message to the whole office mentioning this and asking if it wouldn't be a good idea to start including such info on future print runs. The director of communications and marketing responded by saying "Great idea, John!". The fucking DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING had never considered it before. Jesus christ.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 May 2018, 17:51

Harvey K-Tel wrote:This morning as I was in the shower I got it into my head that I was pretty certain that the auction house I work for doesn't have any social media branding on any of its print media. We regularly print catalogues and flyers for upcoming sales and must hand out thousands of these things annually and sure enough, when I got into the office I had a look at a few random flyers and there were no instagram, facebook, twitter, etc. addresses on any of them, so I sent out a message to the whole office mentioning this and asking if it wouldn't be a good idea to start including such info on future print runs. The director of communications and marketing responded by saying "Great idea, John!". The fucking DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING had never considered it before. Jesus christ.

He or she should be fired. I'm not kidding.

You do know you can even target market with social media platforms? Not only is just about putting up a page or something, but there are advertising options for most. And remember, never pay the going rate. Negotiate - make 'em think you're running a long campaign even if you may not. You'll get a lower frequency price.

And I'd consider LinkedIn too even if it's a mainly B2B platform. Corporations sometimes spend on that shit.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 10 May 2018, 18:04

sloopjohnc wrote:
He or she should be fired. I'm not kidding.

Absolutely.

btw...have you all considered the Awesome Power of Telemarketing? No? Ah, right. I'll show myself out.
:(
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 10 May 2018, 18:15

She is the owner's wife. I doubt she's going to get fired. I do often ask myself what exactly it is that she does here, because it certainly isn't apparent.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 May 2018, 19:15

Harvey K-Tel wrote:She is the owner's wife. I doubt she's going to get fired. I do often ask myself what exactly it is that she does here, because it certainly isn't apparent.

I have to say that happens a lot in marketing departments. It doesn't get the most respect. And everyone is a backseat driver when it comes to marketing.

When I took the marketing manager job at a company a few years back, I was told I'd get the owner's wife as my graphic designer. She was a quick learner and had pretty good feel and skills, but it was a lot of teaching on commercial graphic design principles for the first year or so.

She was Asian too, Chinese to be specific - and some of the graphic design used for marketing there is much different than in the US. Here, simpler is better, where over there, graphic design is a lot busier and more ornate.

Do you want to do the social media? It isn't very hard if you have common sense - you want to show pictures and build engagement. The hardest part is figuring out the platforms. I also think a YouTube channel would be good. You can use their servers and just use the code to embed on your site or share to social platforms.

We do ours with an i-phone and I hire folks from Upwork to polish 'em up. It costs $250 to $500 per video for production.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 10 May 2018, 19:33

sloopjohnc wrote:
Do you want to do the social media?

Nope!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 May 2018, 21:22

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Do you want to do the social media?

Nope!

:lol:

Okay, then.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 May 2018, 17:40

Had an excruciating date with a women last night - one of the longest two hours of my life. It was like she was trying to prove how smart and cultured she was to me. She kept saying how she went to UCLA like it was fucking Harvard. It was 30 years ago!

But it seemed important to her. Sometimes people treat these things like job interviews where they feel like they need to impress someone.

I'm easily impressed and she didn't have to try nearly so hard.

I used the word "offal" last night and she corrected my pronunciation. I looked it up this morning and I was pronouncing it correctly, which I thought I was. My point is I'm not super keen on people who feel the need to correct other people if you know what they mean, but if they do, get it fucking right before you do.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 May 2018, 19:18

sloopjohnc wrote:Had an excruciating date with a women last night - one of the longest two hours of my life. It was like she was trying to prove how smart and cultured she was to me. She kept saying how she went to UCLA like it was fucking Harvard. It was 30 years ago!

But it seemed important to her. Sometimes people treat these things like job interviews where they feel like they need to impress someone.

I used the word "offal" last night and she corrected my pronunciation. I looked it up this morning and I was pronouncing it correctly, which I thought I was. My point is I'm not super keen on people who feel the need to correct other people if you know what they mean, but if they do, get it fucking right before you do.

She also tried schooling me on hip hop too somewhere in the conversation and tried telling me who Kool Herc, Afrika Bambaataa and the Sugarhill Gang were.

Yeah, sure.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 11 May 2018, 19:19

How owfal.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:That's it. I've taken the decision. I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 May 2018, 21:18

gash on ignore wrote:How owfal.

I'm going to put you on Ignore myself for that one.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 12 May 2018, 03:17

sloopjohnc wrote:
She also tried schooling me on hip hop too somewhere in the conversation and tried telling me who Kool Herc, Afrika Bambaataa and the Sugarhill Gang were.

Yeah, sure.

:o
Oh no she didn't!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 12 May 2018, 10:01

Just off out to the wilds of West Sussex to see my poor old mum. She has been very poorly lately, and now has a full time live in nurse and a carer. She has been taken off all of her medications, and is surviving on morphine patches. I have no idea what to expect when I get there, but I am sure it will another low blow. I always thought I had a bit of a charmed life, but this last year or so has completely cured me of any such delusion. Once again, remind me never to get old.
You don't like me...do you?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 12 May 2018, 10:04

Hope you have a good surprise...especially with mother's day tomorrow. All the best.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 12 May 2018, 11:49

Hope she's not too bad, Yomp.
How did your date pronounce "offal", sloop?
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 12 May 2018, 13:53

I'm heading down the highway in a few minutes to my mom's place in Belleville, which is about 200km away. She's selling the house this month and I'm going to help my sister get the place ready for that. My sis lives closer to mom so she's already been going through stuff, deciding what to keep, what to (hopefully) sell, and what to toss. There's a tall filing cabinet full of my dad's papers, and so much other stuff of his that'll be hard to part with, but neither of us are going to ever do anything with it so it's just got to go. Hopefully we can get the house on the market by the 24th of May, and apparently places in that area are selling fairly fast so I hope things go our way. My mom will be moving to my sister's place out in the country when this is all done, so it'll be nice to not have to worry about her being by herself in the old house. Okay, see y'all later!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 May 2018, 14:19

Yomp, I’m sorry to hear about your heartbreaking situation. All the best xx

Harv, that will be bittersweet, good luck to you and the family x
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 May 2018, 19:03

sloopjohnc wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Had an excruciating date with a women last night - one of the longest two hours of my life. It was like she was trying to prove how smart and cultured she was to me. She kept saying how she went to UCLA like it was fucking Harvard. It was 30 years ago!

Yeah, sure.

I could do an entire thread on dates I've had in the last few years. There are more bizarre people out there passing themselves off as normal than I could have ever imagined... I had a woman last month asking me for money before I'd even met her. Needless to say, I never did. Another one I actually did date more than once, wanted to keep seeing me while she dated other guys. She seemed completely nonplussed when I told her if we were going to keep on then she'd have to stop seeing other people.

Anyway, I'm going to stop now as each story reminds me of another one. I could be typing for hours.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 May 2018, 19:10

Matt Wilson wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Yeah, sure.

I had a woman last month asking me for money before I'd even met her. Needless to say, I never did.

Quick thinking! Always pay ‘em afterwards.

8-)
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 May 2018, 19:13

I usually use paypal for my transactions with women.