MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Polishgirl

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Polishgirl » 26 Sep 2017, 11:04

I'm in Venice, but not for much longer. Had a great holiday involving walking, fancy pants art, pistachio ice cream, being abandoned on an empty vaporetto, getting lost and enjoying it, and marvelling - as ever - at the excesses of Catholicism.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 26 Sep 2017, 12:48

Polishgirl wrote:I'm in Venice, but not for much longer. Had a great holiday involving walking, fancy pants art, pistachio ice cream, being abandoned on an empty vaporetto, getting lost and enjoying it, and marvelling - as ever - at the excesses of Catholicism.

Ooh, I'm in Athens. Lots of walking, some art, some ice cream on offer but sticking to yoghurt and honey for breakfast, not getting lost thanks to satnav thing on phone (travelling's so easy these days) and I've a view of that Akropolis from my digs.

Snap - ish.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 26 Sep 2017, 12:49

Polishgirl wrote:marvelling - as ever - at the excesses of Catholicism.

The Vatican's yer place for that. It's obscene.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 26 Sep 2017, 18:01

Do think some people in the work place make up terms in the hope they simply take off, so they can say, "I came up with that".
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Sep 2017, 22:01

The Great Defector wrote:Do think some people in the work place make up terms in the hope they simply take off, so they can say, "I came up with that".

I think you just onboarded with a lexigo, which is a word I just thought up - a combination of "lexicon" for vocabulary for a specific branch of knowledge and "go" for overall industry acceptability of said word.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 27 Sep 2017, 01:13

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Do think some people in the work place make up terms in the hope they simply take off, so they can say, "I came up with that".

I think you just onboarded with a lexigo, which is a word I just thought up - a combination of "lexicon" for vocabulary for a specific branch of knowledge and "go" for overall industry acceptability of said word.

Or a celixo - same but for dyslexics. (Not poking fun at anyone, just playing the game)
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Sep 2017, 16:27

I had to go shopping last night and was buying some stuff for a crockpot meal. My son wanted in on the action, but wanted to create something with weird meat and vegetables. I said, "Okay," but he'd have to include some stuff because I didn't want to waste food.

Ingredients: broccoli, cauliflower, onion, ghost pepper, cilantro, shallots, vegetable broth, green pepper salsa, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, and. . .

goat meat (our neighborhood has large Indian, Afghani and Hispanic populations).

I didn't have the courage to try it this morning.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 27 Sep 2017, 17:24

sloopjohnc wrote:goat meat (our neighborhood has large Indian, Afghani and Hispanic populations).

A few years ago I stayed with a friend in south London for a few days but I declined to eat at the local cafe, where the special was goat's head soup. *vom*

The meat itself is supposed to be quite nice, not that I'd eat it (veg).

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 27 Sep 2017, 18:07

sloopjohnc wrote:I had to go shopping last night and was buying some stuff for a crockpot meal. My son wanted in on the action, but wanted to create something with weird meat and vegetables. I said, "Okay," but he'd have to include some stuff because I didn't want to waste food.

Ingredients: broccoli, cauliflower, onion, ghost pepper, cilantro, shallots, vegetable broth, green pepper salsa, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, and. . .

goat meat (our neighborhood has large Indian, Afghani and Hispanic populations).

You big baby! Goat is delicious (although I don't know about sticking broccoli and cauliflower in a slow cooker - doesn't it just turn to mush?)
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Sep 2017, 18:36

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I had to go shopping last night and was buying some stuff for a crockpot meal. My son wanted in on the action, but wanted to create something with weird meat and vegetables. I said, "Okay," but he'd have to include some stuff because I didn't want to waste food.

You big baby! Goat is delicious (although I don't know about sticking broccoli and cauliflower in a slow cooker - doesn't it just turn to mush?)

Well, my son was trying to convince me with the same argument. The other stuff didn't look too mushy, but I don't have any illusions that this won't be in a dumpster by around 6:30 tonight.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2017, 03:53

The woman in the cubicle next to me, Alex, short for Alexandria, is Vietnamese. Very nice young woman. I told her I'm watching the Ken Burns' documentary and I asked her how her folks got her. She said her dad was a student, but her mom's dad, her grandfather, worked for the CIA, and one day in the early '70s, he came home and said they were leaving on a plane that night. She said her mom always thought her dad worked for Toyota before that night.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 28 Sep 2017, 13:13

I was in a shop in Athens Street, Athens about 30 minutes ago, buying halva, when an American woman came up to me and said loudly [is there any other way?]

"You're a Brit, right??"

My inner reaction:

My outer reaction:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Sep 2017, 14:37

Thang-y wrote:I was in a shop in Athens Street, Athens about 30 minutes ago, buying halva, when an American woman came up to me and said loudly [is there any other way?]

"You're a Brit, right??"

My inner reaction:

My outer reaction:

Those crazy Americanz!!!!!
Whatareyagonnado?
Hopefully she went outside and confided to her friend about the snotty Brit! :D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Sep 2017, 14:53

We had some workforce review a while back and our jobs were regarded (mine remained the same) but I decided to appeal the decision and they've actually agreed with me and I've been upgraded to the next level.

It's not a huge payrise but it's not insignificant either.

Which is nice
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Sep 2017, 15:59

The drinks are on GB!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2017, 16:29

After 13 professional seasons with one team, pitcher Matt Cain, is retiring as a San Francisco Giant. He's 32 and he's been in the big leagues since he was 20. "The Horse" was the antithesis to Lincecum, The Freak. Cain was Mr. Reliable and Lincecum was the flamboyant prima donna. He threw 200+ innings six seasons in a row, just missing 200 a season, before and after that stretch. Cain threw the only perfect game in NY and SF Giants 100 year history and he was a reliable factor in two of the three Giants World Series runs.

Giving Giants players big contracts seems to be the kiss of death and when the Giants rewarded Cain for all his hard work, his arm began breaking down and he was never the same.

It's going to be weird to see a Giants roster without Matt Cain.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2017, 18:39

I follow some BBQ pages on Twitter and Pinterest. Bacon wrapped onion rings.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2017, 21:46

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 28 Sep 2017, 21:51

What? No hockey cards?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2017, 22:07

souphound wrote:What? No hockey cards?

Second row, left from bottom - five facing.

Typical CIC, Canadian inferiority complex. Looking to get slighted before it even happens.

Return to “Nextdoorland”