MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 31 Dec 2017, 02:21

From days gone by. . .

I'm in front, my cousin Eric is on the right, my cousin, Karen, behind me, my Uncle Bob in back and my dad on the left.

Six String

Postby Six String » 01 Jan 2018, 19:49

All this talk about drones crashing and breaking apart reminded me of my Tonka toy truck I got for Xmas one year. Built like a tank, it was. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still out there somewhere keeping some child entertained.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 01 Jan 2018, 19:55

Had a lovely Xmas but hanging over it is my Dad, who has deteriorated a lot during December. He's still lucid, but physically he's slowing down considerably. We had Xmas dinner at his, with my sister, my family and my wife's parents, but he chose not to join us for food, sleeping instead. We had loads of left-overs for him, but all he did was crack open his beer and ask for a cup-a-soup, which my wife found hilarious (considering she had been cooking)..

He was diagnosed with Amyloidosis, which is a rare form of blood cancer. We've yet to hear what sort of timeline we have, but given how his appetite has shrivelled and how much he's sleeping, I guess we're not really that far off either in-home care or a home/hospice of some sorts. Ho hum.

Nick?? Dougie??
funky thigh collector

Postby Nick?? Dougie?? » 02 Jan 2018, 13:45

That's very sad to read Toby. One of the nice things about BCB is you read about people's kids and relationships and see all those grow. At the same time you witness the decline in health of poster's relatives. I hope you're ok. X
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

fange

Postby fange » 02 Jan 2018, 13:55

Minnie the Minx wrote:That's very sad to read Toby. One of the nice things about BCB is you read about people's kids and relationships and see all those grow. At the same time you witness the decline in health of poster's relatives. I hope you're ok. X

Very true.

Take care, Toby, and all the best to your dad.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Jan 2018, 00:08

Last night, we were watching the CNN specials about TV during the decades. We were watching the seventies edition about comedy where they brought up SNL and PBS showing Monty Python's Flying Circus. They showed a couple brief skits and my son said, "That shit's not funny."

I said, "It's English."

And he responded, "Like I said, 'not funny'".

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Jan 2018, 18:55

My divorce finally came through after submitting it to the court in September. Don't know how I feel. I've been waiting for this moment for two years now. Still, it seems strange to feel triumphant or exultant.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Jan 2018, 19:19

Matt Wilson wrote:My divorce finally came through after submitting it to the court in September. Don't know how I feel. I've been waiting for this moment for two years now. Still, it seems strange to feel triumphant or exultant.

My sister-in-law, who was then my recent ex sister-in-law, had been divorced for a little more than a year and told me it's like receiving a death certificate. I don't know if I'd go that far, but I certainly didn't feel triumphant. I felt like I'd failed important aspects of life in many respects.

It was for the best for everybody, but that didn't make it something celebratory. I was very ambivalent and conflicted about the whole thing.

It sucked, more than it was a good thing.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Jan 2018, 20:48

sloopjohnc wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:My divorce finally came through after submitting it to the court in September. Don't know how I feel. I've been waiting for this moment for two years now. Still, it seems strange to feel triumphant or exultant.

My sister-in-law, who was then my recent ex sister-in-law, had been divorced for a little more than a year and told me it's like receiving a death certificate. I don't know if I'd go that far, but I certainly didn't feel triumphant. I felt like I'd failed important aspects of life in many respects.

It was for the best for everybody, but that didn't make it something celebratory. I was very ambivalent and conflicted about the whole thing.

I don't feel like I failed or anything - I still don't know what I could've done differently. It was she who was cheating on me at the end (while still sleeping with me, I might add). So right there I'm going to assign blame more to her than to me. There's always a reason for infidelity, of course, but couples should work it out when one of them feels that they're falling out of love with the other - not resort to looking outside the marriage. We never even had 'the conversation' about any of this. It wasn't her style. So no, I don't really blame myself. I just picked the wrong one is all. Or maybe she became the wrong one decades into the marriage. I'll never know. I've moved on anyway.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Jan 2018, 21:44

Matt Wilson wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

I don't feel like I failed or anything - I still don't know what I could've done differently. It was she who was cheating on me at the end (while still sleeping with me, I might add). So right there I'm going to assign blame more to her than to me. There's always a reason for infidelity, of course, but couples should work it out when one of them feels that they're falling out of love with the other - not resort to looking outside the marriage. We never even had 'the conversation' about any of this. It wasn't her style. So no, I don't really blame myself. I just picked the wrong one is all. Or maybe she became the wrong one decades into the marriage. I'll never know. I've moved on anyway.

Well, every case is different. I was relating how I felt in my situation.

By the way, the ex sister-in-law who gave me the advice had been cheating on her husband for about four or five years. So, take that with a grain of salt.

I found out when I asked her on my last Los Angeles JU when we went out for a drink and something didn't seem quite right. I asked her and she admitted it.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Jan 2018, 22:22

Well, if it's any consolation, John - my ex sister-in-law has cheated on her husband too. It must run in the family.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Jan 2018, 21:55

My kids just sent me this. They're having lunch with their mom while I'm at work.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 04 Jan 2018, 22:59

A girl I went out with a few times, when I was in my early twenties. Went missing just after New Years Day. She had went missing before but had turned up. Alas she found dead today. Very sad even though I hadn't spoken or seen her her in over 30 years.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Jan 2018, 23:15

Jeemo wrote:A girl I went out with a few times, when I was in my early twenties. Went missing just after New Years Day. She had went missing before but had turned up. Alas she found dead today. Very sad even though I hadn't spoken or seen her her in over 30 years.

That's too bad. I was reading the obituaries today and the guy who played goalie on my high school water polo team when I was a junior died. I'd gone to school with him from elementary through high school. He was a year older than me, but I knew him pretty well because of water polo and just going to school together so long. He was a nice guy. 58.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Jan 2018, 23:22

sloopjohnc wrote:My kids just sent me this. They're having lunch with their mom while I'm at work.

I posted this on Facebook the other day and a woman I dated for three months in high school commented, "I always wondered what our kids would look like." I deleted the comment.

I thought it was kinda creepy.

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Jan 2018, 20:24

Your son has really grown (matured). He doesn't look like a little boy anymore.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Jan 2018, 15:20

Six String wrote:Your son has really grown (matured). He doesn't look like a little boy anymore.

Doesn't sound like it either, Les. Sometimes when he answers the phone, I think it's someone else.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 07 Jan 2018, 15:38

sloopjohnc wrote:
Six String wrote:Your son has really grown (matured). He doesn't look like a little boy anymore.

Doesn't sound like it either, Les. Sometimes when he answers the phone, I think it's someone else.

He's probably hoping it is someone else phoning him.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Jan 2018, 17:43

Jumper K wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

He's probably hoping it is someone else phoning him.

Not "probably."

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 08 Jan 2018, 15:18

Definitely, this week, 100%, without doubt, i'm giving up beer for a month or so. Yep, gonna happy. :? :(
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model