MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
hippopotamus

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby hippopotamus » 26 Dec 2017, 10:20

toomanyhatz wrote:Marvelous, Charlie! Great to hear!

My family is coming over later tonight - my mom's first Christmas since she's been living in her assisted care place - and all the cliches are true - the biggest gift of all is being together and all alive and (relatively) healthy. She's also looking forward to seeing Roscoe. It's been a rough year, but here we are. We made it.

I just read through each little update... Phew!

I'm really glad you got happy news this Christmas. Maybe they are small things, maybe they are big things... But health and family togetherness are really what's important. Sometimes we need a reminder (sometimes we could do without the drama).

Merry Christmas, anyhow. I hope you get to enjoy some days of peace for the rest of the holiday.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Dec 2017, 00:48

Charlie O. wrote:Short update: Mom is dramatically better today - talking, even making sense a lot of the time, cooperating with the nurses instead of fighting them... She’s still struggling to remember some things, there’s a little bit of “word salad” occasionally, and I think she’s vaguely disturbed that she can’t remember much of anything from the last day and a half (a blessing, I think) - but I really wasn’t expecting her to make this much progress this quickly. A wonderful Christmas gift.

There have been some wonderful drugs for dementia the past couple years. My only warning: this could be short term.

But I'm glad she's better. It's draining on everyone.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 28 Dec 2017, 21:19, edited 2 times in total.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Dec 2017, 08:47

1-800-288-8372

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 28 Dec 2017, 09:40

Lady Neige got released from her work as manager of a shoe store yesterday, an euphemism for being sacked.

Her relationship with her direct superior had been deteriorating steadily during the last year, due to incompatibility on a human level as well as unclear roles within the company. I suppose things had come to a head before the Christmas holidays and it was an "either her or me" situation on the business manager's side).

In a way, it comes as a relief because the tension had become so hard to bear I started suggesting she go to a doctor to get sick leave.

It's still a shock.

She gets her pay for another two months, but has to look for something else (not easy at 54).
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 28 Dec 2017, 11:02

Sorry to hear that, Neige. Sending good wishes your way.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 28 Dec 2017, 11:46

Very sorry, Felix. Best wishes to Lady Neige and you.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 28 Dec 2017, 12:25

The weather dude from ITV news, Martin something, the one that looks like an overgrown cheeky schoolboy was in the queue behind me in Sainsburys this morning.
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Dec 2017, 16:08

My son got a drone from his uncle on Xmas and already got it stuck in a tree and lost it.

We were walking into the park to fly it yesterday and a couple said, "Someone got a nice Xmas present."

I replied, "I bet it lasts a week."

I was off by five days.

Nick?? Dougie??
funky thigh collector

Postby Nick?? Dougie?? » 28 Dec 2017, 16:33

Neige wrote:Lady Neige got released from her work as manager of a shoe store yesterday, an euphemism for being sacked.

Her relationship with her direct superior had been deteriorating steadily during the last year, due to incompatibility on a human level as well as unclear roles within the company. I suppose things had come to a head before the Christmas holidays and it was an "either her or me" situation on the business manager's side).

In a way, it comes as a relief because the tension had become so hard to bear I started suggesting she go to a doctor to get sick leave.

It's still a shock.

She gets her pay for another two months, but has to look for something else (not easy at 54).

What a time of year for that to happen. I'm sorry Neige.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Dec 2017, 17:14

Sorry to hear the ge bad news Felix. It might be a blessing in disguise though as you say, finding work at 54 could be tricky. It's something I worried about in the back of my mind as I got older. Thankfully it never happened. I hope things get sorted for you you and the family soon.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Dec 2017, 19:12

I'm sure things'll work out, Felix. And hopefully her next employer won't be such a pain.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 28 Dec 2017, 19:19

Cheers, guys & gals

I do see it as a blessing in disguise too.

sloopjohnc wrote:My son got a drone from his uncle on Xmas and already got it stuck in a tree and lost it.

We were walking into the park to fly it yesterday and a couple said, "Someone got a nice Xmas present."

I was off by five days.

That certainly worked as comic relief today, sloop. :lol:
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Nick?? Dougie??
funky thigh collector

Postby Nick?? Dougie?? » 28 Dec 2017, 19:53

They just had Vic and Bob on Radio 4. Bob sounded terrible :(
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 28 Dec 2017, 23:09

sloopjohnc wrote:My son got a drone from his uncle on Xmas and already got it stuck in a tree and lost it.

I was off by five days.

Our wee guy bought one with his Christmas money £70, three of the propeller guards are already in pieces.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 29 Dec 2017, 01:15

Jeemo wrote:

I was off by five days.

Our wee guy bought one with his Christmas money £70, three of the propeller guards are already in pieces.

I remember when I was about 10 my dad bought me a battery powered plane, which flew straight over the garden wall never to be seen again. :( Nothing really changes.
You don't like me...do you?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Dec 2017, 15:55

yomptepi wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

I was off by five days.

I remember when I was about 10 my dad bought me a battery powered plane, which flew straight over the garden wall never to be seen again. :( Nothing really changes.

No, it doesn't. Almost everyone has gotten a toy car, plane or something where it's crashed, got stuck in a tree or sunk right after getting it.

After it happened, my son asked me, "Can you get insurance for these things?"

I asked, "For it, or you."

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 29 Dec 2017, 20:50

We sell those things.
Had someone come in-store last week and told us that his kids flew their drone into a wall and it fell apart.
He reckons we owe him a new one now as this should not have happened with a 600 dollar drone.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Dec 2017, 00:30

sloopjohnc wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

No, it doesn't. Almost everyone has gotten a toy car, plane or something where it's crashed, got stuck in a tree or sunk right after getting it.

After it happened, my son asked me, "Can you get insurance for these things?"

I asked, "For it, or you."

:lol:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Dec 2017, 01:55

never/ever wrote:We sell those things.
Had someone come in-store last week and told us that his kids flew their drone into a wall and it fell apart.
He reckons we owe him a new one now as this should not have happened with a 600 dollar drone.

This was $69.

Oh, well.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Dec 2017, 16:45

The funny thing is even though my son lost the drone, I had a yo yo in the closet and my son has been playing with that much more than the drone.

I think I bought it for less than $2.