MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Sep 2017, 14:53

We had some workforce review a while back and our jobs were regarded (mine remained the same) but I decided to appeal the decision and they've actually agreed with me and I've been upgraded to the next level.

It's not a huge payrise but it's not insignificant either.

Which is nice
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Sep 2017, 15:59

The drinks are on GB!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2017, 16:29

After 13 professional seasons with one team, pitcher Matt Cain, is retiring as a San Francisco Giant. He's 32 and he's been in the big leagues since he was 20. "The Horse" was the antithesis to Lincecum, The Freak. Cain was Mr. Reliable and Lincecum was the flamboyant prima donna. He threw 200+ innings six seasons in a row, just missing 200 a season, before and after that stretch. Cain threw the only perfect game in NY and SF Giants 100 year history and he was a reliable factor in two of the three Giants World Series runs.

Giving Giants players big contracts seems to be the kiss of death and when the Giants rewarded Cain for all his hard work, his arm began breaking down and he was never the same.

It's going to be weird to see a Giants roster without Matt Cain.

Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2017, 18:39

I follow some BBQ pages on Twitter and Pinterest. Bacon wrapped onion rings.

Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2017, 21:46

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 28 Sep 2017, 21:51

What? No hockey cards?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2017, 22:07

souphound wrote:What? No hockey cards?

Second row, left from bottom - five facing.

Typical CIC, Canadian inferiority complex. Looking to get slighted before it even happens.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 29 Sep 2017, 14:32

Yeah, but they're all in Henglish hostie. :x ;) :D
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Sep 2017, 16:40

:lol:

Re:goat meat, listen to John at this point. It's very lean compared to lamb. I'm not sure a slowcooker would be the way to go as it cooks up quickly on the stovetop. Then again, I've never tried cooking it in a slowcooker either so what do I know. Looks like the lesson on wasting food got tossed. ;)

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Sep 2017, 16:44

Thang-y wrote:I was in a shop in Athens Street, Athens about 30 minutes ago, buying halva, when an American woman came up to me and said loudly [is there any other way?]

"You're a Brit, right??"

My inner reaction:

My outer reaction:

:lol:
Did you feel like an exotic species? That person must have felt proud recognizing a "foreign" accent. :D

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 29 Sep 2017, 16:46

Six String wrote::lol:

Re:goat meat, listen to John at this point. It's very lean compared to lamb. I'm not sure a slowcooker would be the way to go as it cooks up quickly on the stovetop. Then again, I've never tried cooking it in a slowcooker either so what do I know. Looks like the lesson on wasting food got tossed. ;)

I'll be honest, the only way I've ever had goat was in West Indian rotis, so it's usually cooked as a curry, which I assume would be great for the slow cooker. Whenever I get a roti, goat is always my go-to (as long as it's boneless). There used to be a real low-key roti place near me called Vena's, and man, thy made some of the best curried goat I've ever had. I'd get a roti with goat, spinach and potatoes - sometimes squash if they had it - and they were the fucking best! Boy, I wish they were still there...
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Sep 2017, 17:08

Harvey K-Tel wrote:

I'll be honest, the only way I've ever had goat was in West Indian rotis, so it's usually cooked as a curry, which I assume would be great for the slow cooker. Whenever I get a roti, goat is always my go-to (as long as it's boneless). There used to be a real low-key roti place near me called Vena's, and man, thy made some of the best curried goat I've ever had. I'd get a roti with goat, spinach and potatoes - sometimes squash if they had it - and they were the fucking best! Boy, I wish they were still there...

My son loves the stew/soup he made. Lamb cooked up great in the slowcooker. And yeah, I've had goat meat in Indian food and it's been good.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Sep 2017, 17:14

Last night, a friend of mine posted something on Facebook about how he hates NFL players being disrespectful of the flag and kneeling or not coming out for national anthem.

I knew I probably shouldn't have done this but I responded that they're young guys for the most part and they're conflating their cause of police brutality and racism with an American symbol so I cut them some slack, but he wasn't having any part of it and tried to shame me for being conciliatory towards their cause.

I replied that my dad was a US Marine, we had a colorguard play taps and present the flag at his funeral, I was named after my dad's brother who was a paratrooper in the 101 Airborne and died in Korea, and that we had a flagpole in our yard growing up and had to learn how to raise, take down, and fold the flag properly at night so I didn't need any lessons on patriotism.

That's not how I choose to show my national allegiance, but we have the freedom to display it however we wish.

He said I was being stubborn.

I finished by saying that we're lucky to live in a place where we can't be taken to jail for expressing our views.

I like Curt, but he actually thinks Bill O'Reilly is an authoritative editorial source and accurate historian.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Sep 2017, 19:27

I really want to get these Kobe Mamba sneaks but can't justify it.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 29 Sep 2017, 20:11

Thang-y wrote:
Polishgirl wrote:marvelling - as ever - at the excesses of Catholicism.

The Vatican's yer place for that. It's obscene.

It IS obscene. I loved it! My friend and I went round it at night, on some special Friday night thingy, and it was breathtaking. Catholicism is dreadful, but I love it anyway. :D
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Sep 2017, 23:25

1962 report card for Jerry Seinfeld. Comments are pretty foretelling.

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Sep 2017, 00:05

Harvey K-Tel wrote:

Ah, good to know. I was going on the fact that the cuts I had were pretty lean and was told to go easy on the temp but also not to over ook as it would be too tough. I suppose if it was cooked with other foods together it may ght protect it a bit more as well. I like goat and lamb but not a lot of experience with goat meat. One thing I've noticed is a lot of bones for the amount of meat so I can see why you'd choose boneless.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Sep 2017, 00:16

The Washington Nationals baseball team are serving an Oktoberfest bratwurst. I'd order two: one that kills me and one for my coffin.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 30 Sep 2017, 00:28

Please tell me that's two of them.

Also, does "Oktoberfest" bratwurst mean it has brisket on top of it? Is that a common thing? I of course wouldn't know.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Sep 2017, 03:00

toomanyhatz wrote:Please tell me that's two of them.

Also, does "Oktoberfest" bratwurst mean it has brisket on top of it? Is that a common thing? I of course wouldn't know.

Who cares?

I think it's kraut.