MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 28695
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Sep 2017, 14:50

Fantastic!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 16015
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Neige » 25 Sep 2017, 15:03

Wow, Harv, I'm really envious!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Six String
Posts: 19933
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 25 Sep 2017, 15:52

Very cool John. I bet it felt very liberating.

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 15004
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Belle Lettre » 25 Sep 2017, 16:05

Really lovely.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Sep 2017, 18:27

My son and a buddy of his who lives in our complex and I went swimming in the Bay and out to lunch on Saturday. He plays football on the high school team like his brother. I asked him how it was going. He said he hated it.

I asked him why and he said the coaches are jerks. I told him that he might want to quit if it isn't fun to do, after all, it's something he chooses to do. He also said he's not sure if he's aggressive or mean enough for football. I get it - American football requires an aggressiveness or mean streak sometimes.

I gave him my thoughts after asking if he wanted to hear what I had to say. I just hope I don't get a call from his mom saying, "I heard you tell Drake it was okay to quit football."

Some folks have a problem with that whole quitting on the team thing. I wouldn't have suggested it if Derek's friend was just thinking about quitting if it was too hard or he didn't want to challenge himself.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Sep 2017, 00:43

Saturday, they're having a salsa festival at the courthouse festival in my hometown. Salsa and reggae, tequila and microbrew tasting.

I'm in. I have to teach my 15 year-old son to drive by this weekend.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
WG Kaspar
Posts: 8442
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 09:07

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby WG Kaspar » 26 Sep 2017, 10:17

sloopjohnc wrote:Saturday, they're having a salsa festival at the courthouse festival in my hometown. Salsa and reggae, tequila and microbrew tasting.

I'm in. I have to teach my 15 year-old son to drive by this weekend.

Or drink and dance
I run out of talent

User avatar
Polishgirl
Posts: 8552
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 22:06

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Polishgirl » 26 Sep 2017, 11:04

I'm in Venice, but not for much longer. Had a great holiday involving walking, fancy pants art, pistachio ice cream, being abandoned on an empty vaporetto, getting lost and enjoying it, and marvelling - as ever - at the excesses of Catholicism.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

User avatar
Thang-y
Posts: 977
Joined: 29 Apr 2016, 17:59
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Thang-y » 26 Sep 2017, 12:48

Polishgirl wrote:I'm in Venice, but not for much longer. Had a great holiday involving walking, fancy pants art, pistachio ice cream, being abandoned on an empty vaporetto, getting lost and enjoying it, and marvelling - as ever - at the excesses of Catholicism.


Ooh, I'm in Athens. Lots of walking, some art, some ice cream on offer but sticking to yoghurt and honey for breakfast, not getting lost thanks to satnav thing on phone (travelling's so easy these days) and I've a view of that Akropolis from my digs.

Snap - ish.

User avatar
Thang-y
Posts: 977
Joined: 29 Apr 2016, 17:59
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Thang-y » 26 Sep 2017, 12:49

Polishgirl wrote:marvelling - as ever - at the excesses of Catholicism.


The Vatican's yer place for that. It's obscene.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16221
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby The Great Defector » 26 Sep 2017, 18:01

Do think some people in the work place make up terms in the hope they simply take off, so they can say, "I came up with that".
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Sep 2017, 22:01

The Great Defector wrote:Do think some people in the work place make up terms in the hope they simply take off, so they can say, "I came up with that".


I think you just onboarded with a lexigo, which is a word I just thought up - a combination of "lexicon" for vocabulary for a specific branch of knowledge and "go" for overall industry acceptability of said word.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 24546
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby souphound » 27 Sep 2017, 01:13

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Do think some people in the work place make up terms in the hope they simply take off, so they can say, "I came up with that".


I think you just onboarded with a lexigo, which is a word I just thought up - a combination of "lexicon" for vocabulary for a specific branch of knowledge and "go" for overall industry acceptability of said word.


Or a celixo - same but for dyslexics. (Not poking fun at anyone, just playing the game)
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Sep 2017, 16:27

I had to go shopping last night and was buying some stuff for a crockpot meal. My son wanted in on the action, but wanted to create something with weird meat and vegetables. I said, "Okay," but he'd have to include some stuff because I didn't want to waste food.

Ingredients: broccoli, cauliflower, onion, ghost pepper, cilantro, shallots, vegetable broth, green pepper salsa, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, and. . .

goat meat (our neighborhood has large Indian, Afghani and Hispanic populations).

I didn't have the courage to try it this morning.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
Thang-y
Posts: 977
Joined: 29 Apr 2016, 17:59
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Thang-y » 27 Sep 2017, 17:24

sloopjohnc wrote:goat meat (our neighborhood has large Indian, Afghani and Hispanic populations).

I didn't have the courage to try it this morning.


A few years ago I stayed with a friend in south London for a few days but I declined to eat at the local cafe, where the special was goat's head soup. *vom*

The meat itself is supposed to be quite nice, not that I'd eat it (veg).

User avatar
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player
Posts: 38968
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 27 Sep 2017, 18:07

sloopjohnc wrote:I had to go shopping last night and was buying some stuff for a crockpot meal. My son wanted in on the action, but wanted to create something with weird meat and vegetables. I said, "Okay," but he'd have to include some stuff because I didn't want to waste food.

Ingredients: broccoli, cauliflower, onion, ghost pepper, cilantro, shallots, vegetable broth, green pepper salsa, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, and. . .

goat meat (our neighborhood has large Indian, Afghani and Hispanic populations).

I didn't have the courage to try it this morning.


You big baby! Goat is delicious (although I don't know about sticking broccoli and cauliflower in a slow cooker - doesn't it just turn to mush?)
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Sep 2017, 18:36

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I had to go shopping last night and was buying some stuff for a crockpot meal. My son wanted in on the action, but wanted to create something with weird meat and vegetables. I said, "Okay," but he'd have to include some stuff because I didn't want to waste food.

Ingredients: broccoli, cauliflower, onion, ghost pepper, cilantro, shallots, vegetable broth, green pepper salsa, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, and. . .

goat meat (our neighborhood has large Indian, Afghani and Hispanic populations).

I didn't have the courage to try it this morning.


You big baby! Goat is delicious (although I don't know about sticking broccoli and cauliflower in a slow cooker - doesn't it just turn to mush?)


Well, my son was trying to convince me with the same argument. The other stuff didn't look too mushy, but I don't have any illusions that this won't be in a dumpster by around 6:30 tonight.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2017, 03:53

The woman in the cubicle next to me, Alex, short for Alexandria, is Vietnamese. Very nice young woman. I told her I'm watching the Ken Burns' documentary and I asked her how her folks got her. She said her dad was a student, but her mom's dad, her grandfather, worked for the CIA, and one day in the early '70s, he came home and said they were leaving on a plane that night. She said her mom always thought her dad worked for Toyota before that night.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
Thang-y
Posts: 977
Joined: 29 Apr 2016, 17:59
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Thang-y » 28 Sep 2017, 13:13

I was in a shop in Athens Street, Athens about 30 minutes ago, buying halva, when an American woman came up to me and said loudly [is there any other way?]

"You're a Brit, right??"

My inner reaction:

Image

My outer reaction:

Image

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 28695
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Sep 2017, 14:37

Thang-y wrote:I was in a shop in Athens Street, Athens about 30 minutes ago, buying halva, when an American woman came up to me and said loudly [is there any other way?]

"You're a Brit, right??"

My inner reaction:

Image

My outer reaction:

Image


Those crazy Americanz!!!!!
Whatareyagonnado?
Hopefully she went outside and confided to her friend about the snotty Brit! :D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?