MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Dec 2017, 01:51

Count Machuki wrote:My company offered me a campaign in Seattle. It'd be a $1.5 million dollar campaign with my pay increasing by about 50%.
:|
It's a weekend of intense conversations and soul-searching at Stately Machuki Manor this weekend.

How do you feel about rain? :D

You must do what's in your heart, but I would find it VERY tempting in your position. The quality of life in Seattle (at least if you can deal with the weather) seems pretty high.

Eelpie is up there, though I don't know if there are any other BCBers. But you're much closer to Sloop and Six String, and us wonderful Southern Californians (don't know if that's an incentive for you or not :D).
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 08 Dec 2017, 01:58

Minnie the Minx wrote:That's terrifying and exciting!

You nailed it! There are so many factors to consider. I'm still kind of in shock at the prospect.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Dec 2017, 02:25

My brother and his family live in Seattle. It's beautiful. Does rain a fair bit, though.

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Postby Wally Bingbang » 08 Dec 2017, 04:49

Count Machuki wrote:My company offered me a campaign in Seattle. It'd be a $1.5 million dollar campaign with my pay increasing by about 50%.
It's a weekend of intense conversations and soul-searching at Stately Machuki Manor this weekend.

Oh man. I don't envy you at all. Good luck either way, Count!
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 08 Dec 2017, 09:48

You're at the crossroads x Good luck all of you, whatever you decide.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Dec 2017, 10:38

Considering your previous struggles I'd say take the money and run.
I'd say Seattle could use the extra flair you and the Contessa take to the place...
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

NMB

Postby NMB » 08 Dec 2017, 11:01

Count Machuki wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:That's terrifying and exciting!

You nailed it! There are so many factors to consider. I'm still kind of in shock at the prospect.

How are the record shops?
turn on, tune in, nod off

Nick?? Dougie??
funky thigh collector

Postby Nick?? Dougie?? » 08 Dec 2017, 14:08

Snow fell last night in Texas. It started around 7 and this morning it is still there - our branches are bowing and heavy with it and stunned Texans, us included, are gawping in wonder. Baron got the day off work but I'm going in, I expect him to be full of whiskey and in front of French silent films shortly.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Dec 2017, 14:42

It's snowing here too:

You can just barely make them out, but in the distance (center) there are 3 or 4 deer scampering about.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 08 Dec 2017, 14:46

It can get very cold here, but it's usually due to high pressure and very dry conditions. For whatever reason, the mix of temperature and precipitation is very rarely right to get straight up snow---none of our friends' children have ever seen it. It's even weirder for it to happen this early in the winter. The best part is that the forecasters completely missed the ball on it, so it was a surprise. We had quite a bit of snow the four winters I spent on the east coast, so even though it's not really a novelty to me, it's still super exciting to get it here.

And that's why if you are friends with Texans on social media, they're going bonkers over an inch of snow that didn't melt overnight. It'll be gone in an hour, and it'll be 70 again tomorrow. :roll:
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Dec 2017, 15:22

I'm roughly 7-8 hundred miles east of you and we rarely see snow either. There was a relatively bad ice storm last winter but it has been several years since it's snowed. I haven't been out driving yet, but I need coffee. That whiskey idea mentioned above sounds good too. Might pick some up, if I survive the stupid drivers etc.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Dec 2017, 18:27

Have you checked out the cost of living in Seattle vs Atlanta? It's not a cheap place to live.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 08 Dec 2017, 20:45

As I revealed yesterday on Facebook, I've had fantastic news. I knew my existing contract at Peterborough City Council was not going to be renewed (nothing wrong with my work, just budgetary pressures) and after Christmas I faced the bleak prospect of looking for new work. Well, no more worries. It turns out that I'd already impressed another area I'd supported, that they've offered me a new permanent role starting in the first week of January. It's one of those turns of fate I'm still pinching myself about.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Dec 2017, 22:39

the masked man wrote:As I revealed yesterday on Facebook, I've had fantastic news. I knew my existing contract at Peterborough City Council was not going to be renewed (nothing wrong with my work, just budgetary pressures) and after Christmas I faced the bleak prospect of looking for new work. Well, no more worries. It turns out that I'd already impressed another area I'd supported, that they've offered me a new permanent role starting in the first week of January. It's one of those turns of fate I'm still pinching myself about.

Great news. Good work and a good attitude travels.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Dec 2017, 22:41

I wonder if you'll hook up with Davey more than you did me when you were here in San Francisco.

Man, I'd do it for the weather alone. I know you grew up on the East Coast, but I hate the humidity out there and down south.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Dec 2017, 22:57

Davey's much closer to Portland than to Seattle, even though he's technically in Washington state (I think...)

And Seattle's obviously pretty humid too, but more in a "bleak/dark/damp" way than that stagnant heaviness you get down south. And when it's NOT raining in Seattle, the weather's generally glorious.

I've spent limited time in both places, but I have to say if weather were the main criterion - Seattle in a heartbeat. And that's before all the other advantages.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 09 Dec 2017, 00:50

toomanyhatz wrote:I've spent limited time in both places, but I have to say if weather were the main criterion - Seattle in a heartbeat. And that's before all the other advantages.

You mean like the cost of living?
:lol:

Good luck, Count. That's hard stuff.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 09 Dec 2017, 15:08

the masked man wrote:As I revealed yesterday on Facebook, I've had fantastic news. I knew my existing contract at Peterborough City Council was not going to be renewed (nothing wrong with my work, just budgetary pressures) and after Christmas I faced the bleak prospect of looking for new work. Well, no more worries. It turns out that I'd already impressed another area I'd supported, that they've offered me a new permanent role starting in the first week of January. It's one of those turns of fate I'm still pinching myself about.

Brilliant news Andrew. Great to see your hard work didn't go unoticed.
You don't like me...do you?

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 09 Dec 2017, 15:17

That is excellent news, mm!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Dec 2017, 17:23

I somehow missed this yesterday. Fantastic!