MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Hugh
Posts: 15069
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Hugh » 13 Feb 2017, 07:08

Very sorry to hear this, Paul. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14558
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby The Great Defector » 13 Feb 2017, 14:08

The Fish wrote:Thank you and God bless you Gordon Charles Raymond Clarke

My Dad has just died. WEnt round for lunch as I do every Sunday and found him sprawled on the sofa,

Not a total shock , I knew this day was coming sooner rather than later. He'd only just received a cancer diagnosis and refused all radio/chemotherapy, which would involve travelling from Worthing to Brighton amd he really just couldn't face the hassle. He was fairly sanguine and I think he just knew his time had come. From working as a hosital porter in later years before retiring, he was obviously aware of certain procedures and I noticed today that a week or two back he had organised a Do Not Resuscitate order.

Thankfully the neighbour heard him on FRiday so this could only have been Friday or Saturday night as he was getting ready for bed. He had pajama bottoms half on/hal off. THe thought that he might have been lying there all week is something I really couldn;t bear to contemplate.

I'm thankful he was at least spared a slow horrible death from cancer and it seems yo have been sudden.

It was a strange sensation with the two of us in the room. Who knows how you would react. I just recall through the tears muttering Goodbye you dear sweet man. And he was. He did more for me that anyone could imagine. I don't recall any disagreement or falling out throughout my adult life, I have had nothing but total unconditional love from him my whole life, and I feel blesed indeed.

So the moral of the story is tell those you love you love them today. Tomorrow may be too late



Sorry to hear that big lad, it's tough.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 58259
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Feb 2017, 16:35

The Fish wrote:[b]I'm thankful he was at least spared a slow horrible death from cancer and it seems yo have been sudden.

It was a strange sensation with the two of us in the room. Who knows how you would react. I just recall through the tears muttering Goodbye you dear sweet man. And he was. He did more for me that anyone could imagine. I don't recall any disagreement or falling out throughout my adult life, I have had nothing but total unconditional love from him my whole life, and I feel blesed indeed.

So the moral of the story is tell those you love you love them today. Tomorrow may be too late


Glad he went relatively fast - it's what I hope for us all, although I'm sure it won't happen. I feel really good I got to spend the last two years of my dad's life with him and wouldn't have traded it for anything although sometimes he drove me nuts.

As I relayed to Rayge when a parent of his died recently, just by being on this board for so long and getting to know folks, our parents seemed to have done reasonably good jobs. I discovered long ago that my legacy, if I had any, was being a good dad and raising our kids to be good people. Sure, we all have our quirks, but by and large, I think our folks did that.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

User avatar
K
Posts: 6047
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby K » 13 Feb 2017, 16:41

The Fish wrote:Thank you and God bless you Gordon Charles Raymond Clarke

My Dad has just died. WEnt round for lunch as I do every Sunday and found him sprawled on the sofa,

Not a total shock , I knew this day was coming sooner rather than later. He'd only just received a cancer diagnosis and refused all radio/chemotherapy, which would involve travelling from Worthing to Brighton amd he really just couldn't face the hassle. He was fairly sanguine and I think he just knew his time had come. From working as a hosital porter in later years before retiring, he was obviously aware of certain procedures and I noticed today that a week or two back he had organised a Do Not Resuscitate order.

Thankfully the neighbour heard him on FRiday so this could only have been Friday or Saturday night as he was getting ready for bed. He had pajama bottoms half on/hal off. THe thought that he might have been lying there all week is something I really couldn;t bear to contemplate.

I'm thankful he was at least spared a slow horrible death from cancer and it seems yo have been sudden.

It was a strange sensation with the two of us in the room. Who knows how you would react. I just recall through the tears muttering Goodbye you dear sweet man. And he was. He did more for me that anyone could imagine. I don't recall any disagreement or falling out throughout my adult life, I have had nothing but total unconditional love from him my whole life, and I feel blesed indeed.

So the moral of the story is tell those you love you love them today. Tomorrow may be too late

Ah, man. All my thoughts and condolences. Your words about your dad are touching.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
I assume this is one of Gash's 'jests'

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 36602
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: semiosphere

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2017, 17:01

ah, RIP
sorry
:(
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Six String
Posts: 19765
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 14 Feb 2017, 00:59

Even if it wasn't a big surprise it still must have been a shock to see your Dad n that state Paul. Trust me though, the faster one goes, the better. The only benefit in a long goodbye is to get your affairs in order if you haven't by then. It's hard on everyone, patient and family. It 's hard any way you slice it really.

I saw a program on tv the other night where they were talking about a Buddhist group who take a dead body to the tops of mountains near where they live so birds of prey, i.e. vultures can eat them. It's considered ok to cut the body up for n smaller pieces for the birds. :shock: This feeding of the body is to encourage the spirit of the person to reincarnate into another form.
Last edited by Six String on 14 Feb 2017, 01:54, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 32255
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby kath » 14 Feb 2017, 01:07

my condolences, paul. such moving words.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 62493
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Feb 2017, 09:15

Paul - that's beautifully worded. A fitting tribute to your Dad.

Take care man.
yomptepi wrote: I was the ninth person to register. At the time this did bestow Doyenship upon me.Although there is an aggressive and unpleasant clique within BCB that disputes these credentials. However, I am comfortable with the facts as they stand.

User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12201
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby The Fish » 14 Feb 2017, 14:03

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I'm doing fine, although in a bit of a state of flux right now. Things I need to do, but currently waiting on coroner's office to ring back with details of releasing death certificate without which I can't do much at all, so I'm just sat here (with no BCB cup ties left to vote on).
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 27935
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Feb 2017, 14:08

The Fish wrote:Thank you everyone for the kind words. I'm doing fine, although in a bit of a state of flux right now. Things I need to do, but currently waiting on coroner's office to ring back with details of releasing death certificate without which I can't do much at all, so I'm just sat here (with no BCB cup ties left to vote on).


Sending love!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12201
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby The Fish » 14 Feb 2017, 14:39

As luck would have it, coroners office rang back about 10 minutes after the post above. Cause of death was given as bronchial pneumonia. Now have appointmentment Thursday with registrar to get certificate and start to move things forward.
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 58259
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Feb 2017, 16:35

The Fish wrote:As luck would have it, coroners office rang back about 10 minutes after the post above. Cause of death was given as bronchial pneumonia. Now have appointment Thursday with registrar to get certificate and start to move things forward.


Almost every older person I know, pneumonia has been the cause.

As the semi-writer in the family, I was given the job of writing my dad's obituary. My brother said not to worry about budget, because you pay for the space in the paper, but just write a fitting tribute to my dad. As a journalism major, one of the first assignments we had was to write our own obituary, which was hard at 20. But it's also hard to distill a person's 88 years in a couple paragraphs.

When I let everyone know about my dad, one of his old co-workers and friends wrote a very nice note about my dad: As a young steel salesman, he didn't know very much about steel. My dad, who had started off in the steel forges and had worked himself into the claims dept knew a lot about steel and helped my dad's friend learn about the steel business - it was a very touching letter about how my dad took him under his wing and what their friendship meant to him. I knew him as my dad, and of course, I knew he had friends, but I found out what all his different friendships meant to other people. I hope you get to find out some of those things while planning the funeral - it helps.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 58259
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Feb 2017, 17:17

Now that I'm not drinking and smoking, I've started running. My apartment complex has a nice gym so I've been running three miles each night on the treadmill. Reaching for a towel I keep handy, my keys fell out of my pocket and slid down the treadmill and landed on the floor behind me.

Some grandparents let their little granddaughter in the gym while I was working out, but I didn't take much mind. When I finished running, I looked for my keys and they were gone. I looked around the treadmill, under it, but couldn't find them. I saw the grandparents and kid and asked them if they'd picked up some keys, but they didn't understand English. I went to the office and they didn't have a spare, but one of the office staff offered to come back with me to the gym and help find it.

I glanced at a stand near the front of the gym and there were a set of keys. I asked the office guy to come out to the mailbox because if they fit there, then they were mine, and I could get in my apartment. They were and all was good.

But it kinda pissed me off that some grandparents would let their grandchild in the gym and didn't supervise her enough to not take my keys, because I suspect they found she had them and put them there because they weren't there before and they weren't by treadmill. I'm not crazy about indulgent grandparents who let their kids into a gym where people are working out and then not supervising them so they don't take people's keys.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

User avatar
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player
Posts: 38404
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 14 Feb 2017, 17:22

sloopjohnc wrote:I'm not crazy about indulgent grandparents who let their kids into a gym where people are working out and then not supervising them so they don't take people's keys.


If I had a nickel for every time that's happened to me, I could afford a private gym!
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 14558
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby The Great Defector » 14 Feb 2017, 17:26

sloopjohnc wrote:Now that I'm not drinking and smoking, I've started running. My apartment complex has a nice gym so I've been running three miles each night on the treadmill. Reaching for a towel I keep handy, my keys fell out of my pocket and slid down the treadmill and landed on the floor behind me.

Some grandparents let their little granddaughter in the gym while I was working out, but I didn't take much mind. When I finished running, I looked for my keys and they were gone. I looked around the treadmill, under it, but couldn't find them. I saw the grandparents and kid and asked them if they'd picked up some keys, but they didn't understand English. I went to the office and they didn't have a spare, but one of the office staff offered to come back with me to the gym and help find it.

I glanced at a stand near the front of the gym and there were a set of keys. I asked the office guy to come out to the mailbox because if they fit there, then they were mine, and I could get in my apartment. They were and all was good.

But it kinda pissed me off that some grandparents would let their grandchild in the gym and didn't supervise her enough to not take my keys, because I suspect they found she had them and put them there because they weren't there before and they weren't by treadmill. I'm not crazy about indulgent grandparents who let their kids into a gym where people are working out and then not supervising them so they don't take people's keys.



I think you're old enough to be that "Old weird guy" that most neighborhoods of complexes have. Run with it, scare the shit out of the kids.
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 13282
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Jimbo » 14 Feb 2017, 17:26

sloopjohnc wrote:Now that I'm not drinking and smoking, I've started running. My apartment complex has a nice gym so I've been running three miles each night on the treadmill. Reaching for a towel I keep handy, my keys fell out of my pocket and slid down the treadmill and landed on the floor behind me.

Some grandparents let their little granddaughter in the gym while I was working out, but I didn't take much mind. When I finished running, I looked for my keys and they were gone. I looked around the treadmill, under it, but couldn't find them. I saw the grandparents and kid and asked them if they'd picked up some keys, but they didn't understand English. I went to the office and they didn't have a spare, but one of the office staff offered to come back with me to the gym and help find it.

I glanced at a stand near the front of the gym and there were a set of keys. I asked the office guy to come out to the mailbox because if they fit there, then they were mine, and I could get in my apartment. They were and all was good.

But it kinda pissed me off that some grandparents would let their grandchild in the gym and didn't supervise her enough to not take my keys, because I suspect they found she had them and put them there because they weren't there before and they weren't by treadmill. I'm not crazy about indulgent grandparents who let their kids into a gym where people are working out and then not supervising them so they don't take people's keys.


Think of the children.

And how is it you didn't get all Jerry Lewis bellboy on the treadmill when your keys fell. "Lady, my keys. No, I wanna stop running but my keys and ...whoa this crazy machine is running faster ... Laaaaadyyy ... HElllppppp....
I love you.

User avatar
Polishgirl
Posts: 8519
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 22:06

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Feb 2017, 18:06

The Fish wrote:As luck would have it, coroners office rang back about 10 minutes after the post above. Cause of death was given as bronchial pneumonia. Now have appointmentment Thursday with registrar to get certificate and start to move things forward.


Sorry for your loss, Paul. From what you've posted, he was obviously a thoroughly lovely man. x
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 25248
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby toomanyhatz » 14 Feb 2017, 18:22

Sympathies to you and your family, Paul. All the best.
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 58259
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Feb 2017, 18:26

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I'm not crazy about indulgent grandparents who let their kids into a gym where people are working out and then not supervising them so they don't take people's keys.


If I had a nickel for every time that's happened to me, I could afford a private gym!


Next time, I'll call and ask if I can stay with you overnight.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 58259
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Feb 2017, 17:21

In between college basketball games last night, I tuned to the Food Network and watched the Chopped, Junior Chef competition. The kid who lost in the finals was from the town I live in.

I called my son because the kid was about the same age. When I told him, he replied, "Fremont Pride!"
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Jimbo and 1 guest