MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Great Defector

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby The Great Defector » 26 Oct 2017, 13:46

sloopjohnc wrote:Home prices in the San Francisco Bay Area. And you wonder why I bought in Oregon. . .

...but they only probably went higher once you left.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Oct 2017, 14:12

The Great Defector wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Home prices in the San Francisco Bay Area. And you wonder why I bought in Oregon. . .

I'm still there, Dumbseldorf.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 26 Oct 2017, 14:18

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:

I'm still there, Dumbseldorf.

Early bird catches the worm etc etc.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 26 Oct 2017, 14:40

I live in Alameda Co. and grew up in San Mateo Co.

If I told you the current prices of houses in the specific neighbourhood where I grew up (and where Mum and Dad lived till 1996), you'd faint.
Matt Harringay wrote:European sweets invading our culture.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 26 Oct 2017, 14:44

What does $1,180,000 get you in Santa Clara? A burned-out shell?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Oct 2017, 16:55

Samoan wrote:

If I told you the current prices of houses in the specific neighbourhood where I grew up (and where Mum and Dad lived till 1996), you'd faint.

The thing is, except for some affluent enclaves, the Peninsula or San Mateo County was where firefighters, cops, blue collar/skilled trade employees and folks who worked in Aerospace or nascent Silicon Valley with families had modest houses. Sure, there was Hillsborough and Atherton, two of the most affluent communities in the US here, but by and large, it was working class. My mom and dad went a year to community college before getting jobs. One person in my family had ever gone to college before us kids came.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Oct 2017, 16:56

Harvey K-Tel wrote:What does $1,180,000 get you in Santa Clara? A burned-out shell?

More like a two bedroom condo.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Oct 2017, 17:43

My favorite video of last 24 hours

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 26 Oct 2017, 17:46

sloopjohnc wrote:
Samoan wrote:

The thing is, except for some affluent enclaves, the Peninsula or San Mateo County was where firefighters, cops, blue collar/skilled trade employees and folks who worked in Aerospace or nascent Silicon Valley with families had modest houses. Sure, there was Hillsborough and Atherton, two of the most affluent communities in the US here, but by and large, it was working class. My mom and dad went a year to community college before getting jobs. One person in my family had ever gone to college before us kids came.

Our neighbours also had a wide range of jobs, livelihoods and educational backgrounds. The area got fashionable once inner city Victorian and Edwardian property became desirable to renovate. Dad had moved there in the early fifties well before that.
Matt Harringay wrote:European sweets invading our culture.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 27 Oct 2017, 10:54

Last day at work today. Moving to Bristol on Monday.
Woohoo!
I run out of talent

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 27 Oct 2017, 13:03

WG Kaspar wrote:Last day at work today. Moving to Bristol on Monday.
Woohoo!

Congrats on the last day, unlucky with the move. ;)

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Oct 2017, 18:24

Woohoo!

Make sure you're upwind from Jumper K's place.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Oct 2017, 18:49

Before work and school today, my son and I watched the Sponge Bob episode, Doodle Bob. One of the funniest.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Oct 2017, 23:53

I sometimes forget how old I am when making jokes at the office. We had our fiscal year presentation and our CEO, who considers himself a bit of a comedian, told a couple jokes during it. On the walk back to our cubicles, I said to my younger co-worker, "Iain reminds me of the opening comic on a Bob Hope USO Tour."

She said, "Who, what?"

The same woman, Alex, wore checkered vans today and I said, "Going full-on Spicolli today with your shoes, huh?" as a reference to the character Jeff Spiccolli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Again, nothing.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 28 Oct 2017, 00:08

Whatever, Grampa.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 28 Oct 2017, 09:52

Woohoo!

Good luck, Theo x
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 28 Oct 2017, 09:58

Just off to see my mum , who has moved to a nursing home in Midhurst for some recuperative care. She is much better, and hopefully will be going home soon. Which is whole new set of challenges. Still. Think of the experience I am gaining.
You don't like me...do you?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Oct 2017, 10:25

That at least is good news. Hope she stays strong and you have some quality time ahead.

I'm taking a week of work, recharging the batteries ahead of the busy Christmas retail season. Been pondering on having a few medical tests taken- I am not ill at all, I actually feel as strong as ever, but I recently took part in a bowel cancer test of which i expect results in the next few weeks and am wondering if it is worthwhile to do a few more checks....after all, my parents both dies of cancer and there always is an elevated risk in these things when you get to be middle aged (or, as, Dutch comedian Kees van Kooten would say, an 'elderly youth'. )
Anyway, going to the city and enjoy the Robert Mapplethorpe-exhibit at the Art Museum of Sydney tomorrow.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 28 Oct 2017, 11:13

never/ever wrote: am wondering if it is worthwhile to do a few more checks

Yes yes and yes.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Oct 2017, 16:28

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Whatever, Grampa.

:lol:
:cry: