MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 29 Dec 2019, 18:29

We went to a tamale makng/jam session party at a friend's house. I wasn't interested in making tamales but Rebecca helped. One of the players declared my version of Mona (Bo Diddley) the best of the session. 8-)

Flower

Postby Flower » 30 Dec 2019, 11:47

Six String wrote:We went to a tamale makng/jam session party at a friend's house. I wasn't interested in making tamales but Rebecca helped. One of the players declared my version of Mona (Bo Diddley) the best of the session. 8-)

Very cool. :)
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 31 Dec 2019, 09:29

We’re bedded down in Yorkshire at my parents for the next few days. It’s been a whirlwind of crumpet eating and hospital visiting with family back in the hospital after another emergency admit. The ward that we visited yesterday is at the hospital I trained at which was surreal as we were visiting on a ward I worked on.
Last night we were looking forward to watching a documentary on an eagle’s flight round Mull, one of our favourite places which was strangely dull. To liven the mood we then watched the extraordinary ‘home movies of the Nazis’ which was as horrifying as you can imagine and left us feeling as Christmassy as dogshit.
Off to buy champagne now which I believe is a cure for all. Baron is going to make guacamole and I have no idea if avocados are as available here as in Texas - I suppose we are about to find out.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Six String

Postby Six String » 31 Dec 2019, 17:09

Here's hoping your NYE is more cheerful. It should be a little easier with the champers. R and I are having our dinner mid day then an early performance by a surf rock band and then home early for our bubbly and we won't see midnight I'm sure. The surf band seems odd this time of year and not usually my first choice but it"s a friend's band so we're going. They'll be done by 7 p.m. (rocknroll, eh?) which means we have time to enjoy ourselves home alone.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 31 Dec 2019, 17:17

I left my wife at home and all alone I limp-cane hiked to the station where there was a Starbucks. My purpose was to be in an environment where I could read the book Felix (Neige) sent me in my SS package. I ordered a soy latte and was galled at the price, about $5 US. I read for a while then listened to an audio book for a while and then I limped home. Exercise for the body and the mind.
Mentally replace all the doofy company logos on people’s cars and clothing with the word “CAPITALISM”. C. Johnstone

Flower

Postby Flower » 02 Jan 2020, 13:03

I didn't get to make the black eyed peas, maybe this weekend for belated good luck but I did pick up more wild bird seed for my 92 year old neighbor who feeds many bird behind her home. I gave her a larger than normal bag for Christmas and held my breathe as Rosa usually has some sort of "remark" to make about gifts of any kind but she asked me where I picked up the seeds .. so I gifted her with more seeds after explaining where I bought them.

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Jan 2020, 17:46

I went to a jam session yesterday that started around 2:30 and ran till 11:00 at night. :o It was a lot of fun. The host cooked dungeness crabs and we made spring rolls with some and cracked the massive legs for sustenance. The only downside was a woman who couldn't sing participating and having more confidence than skill. :roll: I had to look down a few times so I could wince in semi private. Fortunately she only sang a few songs but god she was horrible.

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Jan 2020, 19:13

Finally getting over my cold though it was only about four days of yuck. Just in time as we have tickets to go see a local band at a small venue about five minutes from the house. We've never been to this place, only becoming aware about a month ago, so we're going to check it out as they get get some name acts sometimes. Peter Case played there a few months ago and I'm sorry we missed him. The only downside is no food or beverages allowed to accompany the show. Fortunately my favorite pub is two blocks away and a lesser one next door so we can "load up" before hand.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Jan 2020, 19:24

Last night in Tallinn and we’re a bit shitted up on vodka and shit. Things like buckwheat (for me) and herrings (for him) for tea. It’s foggy as fucking fuck.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Jan 2020, 15:21

During my childhood I had listened to my mother talking about leaving Estonia in dramatic fashion and I knew it had involved bombed ships and patients wrapped in bandages floating in the sea. Yesterday my sister sent me something she recently unearthed, my mother's written description of these events which I hadn't seen. My mother left on the Lappland, one of two ships that left during the Tallinn offensive of 1944. The other, the Moero,was torpedoed on leaving and the Lappland turned round to help survivors, of which there were few. In the space of a few minutes I have found multiple sites online where people have written about their experiences on those ships, or those of their family - it is completely bizarre thinking that someone who wrote those may have been stood next to my Mum.
This article https://www.sea.museum/2016/06/01/as-fa ... s-possible has a poignant image of the last sight that those on board - and my Mum - would have had of Tallinn, on fire.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Jan 2020, 18:16

Fascinating and scary stories (yours and the link). Thanks for posting.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Jan 2020, 08:03

My Dad fried chips last night in some kind of device that looks like it is operated by cranks and pistons. I honestly didn’t think things like this existed anymore!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Jan 2020, 19:36

We're going out to hear a local band that is advertised as playing New Orleans funk. I 've never heard of them so we'll see. It's one of my favorite musics to dance to so hoping they can do a reasonable facsimile.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Jan 2020, 08:45

After 15 years of living at the top of some very windy moors my parents are getting ready to sell their house and downsize. We had thought that this would be their last house but failing health and increasing isolation as a result of living in such an inaccessible spot have taken their toll. They've been in some denial but they have to get to it, and soon.
I love this spot. From all windows there are views of wild open fields, moors, sheep and horses and on a good day you can see far into the valleys beyond. I love the drive to get here from the station which is roller coaster like, with each turn giving you a new sight to stare at. We brought visitors here from the US recently and as I drove I loved having them in the back squealing every time they got a new, perfect scene unfurling in front of them.

This house is rammed from top to bottom with boxes of collectibles, junk, and functional antiques. They've spent decades buying from auction houses and there is barely a spare inch of wall space, with a Victorian attitude to decorating (if you can see the wall, it needs a picture on it.) Unfortunately, this is the largest problem in terms of trying to prepare the house for sale and simply deciding what to leave and what to keep. There is just SO MUCH STUFF. Beginning to sort it out is a thing of Everest size proportions. To this end, they have asked us kids what we want before they start to get things valued and sold. I have already seen what paintings I would want -but as for the rest of it -well, fuck, I want everything. Their house style has always been what I considered a dream way to live, surrounded by books I could never read in a lifetime and a kitchen that isn't afraid of grease. I could literally walk through the house and point at everything, but l have to wind my neck in and think of the logistics of transportation. Small things (the antique potato chipper with which my Dad cuts chips) could go in my case. The chiffonier, bookcases and David Hockney box sets will need to come another way.

Because I don't live in the UK, I have to decide today what I want as they may have moved out before our next visit in May. It feels ghoulish and odd. I am laid here in the spare room typing this thinking that tonight may be the last night I spend sleeping in my parent's house as the next place may not have somewhere for us to sleep. We're having a curry later and my Dad is already up shoving wood in the stove in the kitchen as it's fucking freezing. It's odd to think that as necessary as this move is, it's all going to come to a full stop.

Last night when I parked the car there was a sparrowhawk sleeping on the garden fence. It has been hanging around for ages, and feels comfortable enough to just sit and watch the house occupants coming and going. I hope whoever moves in here loves the back garden as much as my Dad and it always remains a haven for animals. If someone paves it over to park - well, I know it's got fuck all to do with me but it would be heartbreaking.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Jan 2020, 08:59

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jan 2020, 17:38

Minnie the Minx wrote:After 15 years of living at the top of some very windy moors my parents are getting ready to sell their house and downsize. We had thought that this would be their last house but failing health and increasing isolation as a result of living in such an inaccessible spot have taken their toll. They've been in some denial but they have to get to it, and soon.
I love this spot. From all windows there are views of wild open fields, moors, sheep and horses and on a good day you can see far into the valleys beyond. I love the drive to get here from the station which is roller coaster like, with each turn giving you a new sight to stare at. We brought visitors here from the US recently and as I drove I loved having them in the back squealing every time they got a new, perfect scene unfurling in front of them.

This house is rammed from top to bottom with boxes of collectibles, junk, and functional antiques. They've spent decades buying from auction houses and there is barely a spare inch of wall space, with a Victorian attitude to decorating (if you can see the wall, it needs a picture on it.) Unfortunately, this is the largest problem in terms of trying to prepare the house for sale and simply deciding what to leave and what to keep. There is just SO MUCH STUFF. Beginning to sort it out is a thing of Everest size proportions. To this end, they have asked us kids what we want before they start to get things valued and sold. I have already seen what paintings I would want -but as for the rest of it -well, fuck, I want everything. Their house style has always been what I considered a dream way to live, surrounded by books I could never read in a lifetime and a kitchen that isn't afraid of grease. I could literally walk through the house and point at everything, but l have to wind my neck in and think of the logistics of transportation. Small things (the antique potato chipper with which my Dad cuts chips) could go in my case. The chiffonier, bookcases and David Hockney box sets will need to come another way.

Because I don't live in the UK, I have to decide today what I want as they may have moved out before our next visit in May. It feels ghoulish and odd. I am laid here in the spare room typing this thinking that tonight may be the last night I spend sleeping in my parent's house as the next place may not have somewhere for us to sleep. We're having a curry later and my Dad is already up shoving wood in the stove in the kitchen as it's fucking freezing. It's odd to think that as necessary as this move is, it's all going to come to a full stop.

Last night when I parked the car there was a sparrowhawk sleeping on the garden fence. It has been hanging around for ages, and feels comfortable enough to just sit and watch the house occupants coming and going. I hope whoever moves in here loves the back garden as much as my Dad and it always remains a haven for animals. If someone paves it over to park - well, I know it's got fuck all to do with me but it would be heartbreaking.

Good luck with that. I'd have an equally difficult time.

Flower

Postby Flower » 16 Jan 2020, 17:55

I'm so sorry that your parents have to leave their paradise.

Do they know where they are heading? Perhaps they can photograph everything, a giant task for sure, label and box it all up. They would need to find a lease of some sort on a storage unit, close to where they move. They could perhaps slowly sort things out without having to make panic decisions.

Your job, once back in Texas, is to win the Powerball and take things from there.

Again, I am so sorry that this paradise has to leave you family but hope that it goes to others who will love it as much as you and your family.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Jan 2020, 18:13

We had a nice jam session at a friend's, celebrating one of our member's birthday. Lots of food and music, beer and cider. Today I'm chillng at home to watch the big football games.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 19 Jan 2020, 23:16

Six String wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:After 15 years of living at the top of some very windy moors my parents are getting ready to sell their house and downsize. We had thought that this would be their last house but failing health and increasing isolation as a result of living in such an inaccessible spot have taken their toll. They've been in some denial but they have to get to it, and soon.

Good luck with that. I'd have an equally difficult time.

We have just been through the same thing with my mum's house, and my MoL's house. It is just uneconomical to move any of the furniture from the Jersey house, so I sold it all. It was mainly Ercol stuff from the 50's, but it was all damaged and badly repaired. We did pack all the knick naks up and put them in the attic, where they remain to this day. I cannot ,help think I should have just thrown a load of it away. The fur coats, the collection of tortoises, the hundreds of small pottery houses and cats. We don't want them, and I doubt the bastard brother does either.
I had to clear my mum's house too, which had it's own set of problems. Eight children to pick items they wanted. A huge garage to clear, full of vintage car spares and three generations of tools and equipment. Oddly, they had very little of any value. We all chose a clock and a picture and one goodish piece of furniture, but no one wanted the china or the cutlery. Not even the charity shops and hospices I tried. It took Robbi and I a month to sort the place out and get it ready to sell. I spent many hours just sitting with the things my parents found precious. Digging through the boxes of oily bits and bobs in the sheds, trawling through my mother's books for old penguin crime thrillers. It was all rather surreal, but I am glad I had time to process it. In the end, a house is just the sum of it's contents and a pile of bricks and mortar. Seeing the shells of both the Jersey house, Which we had completely refitted, and my parents house, which was really dilapidated behind all the junk, made me realise that a home is more about the people who live there , than the house itself. I do really miss my mum though.
You don't like me...do you?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 20 Jan 2020, 17:55

It's a very emotional journey to be sure, as well as pragmatic. With Mum's house, 10 years ago now, we almost had the opposite experience in that two auction houses were highly interested - one in the antique hardwood furniture, china and glassware and another in Mum's silver. My sister made an appointment with Bonhams up in town and we went there by car with three boxes of both solid and silver-plated items, half of which we had never seen before we discovered them, wrapped and stowed in a couple of cupboards at Mum's - like a solid silver coffee pot which sat on a silver stand with a burner beneath it. They sold it all - my sister watched the auction on line and found it very weird.
Charlie O. wrote: Do you have to be high, or something?