MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63772
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Jul 2018, 17:37

My son is in a summer volunteer program for the city and yesterday he had to spread mulch at different locations as ground cover. For high school graduation, students have to perform a certain amount of service hours and this program takes care of all of them in one summer.

They spread these piles of mulch around the largest city park's paths as ground cover to keep back weeds. The park has a lake in the middle and people walk around the paths. He was telling me what certain people said to him yesterday as they walked past him and his co-workers.

One younger man walking along said, "I thought there were child labor laws these days."

Another woman in her mid-50s or so said, "You boys should worker harder. She's working harder than all of you," meaning a girl co-worker that was working with them.

Finally, an older guy said to them as he walked past, "So this is what they do with our tax dollars."

Based on these comments, he came to a realization, albeit not his own: "Everybody's a critic, dad."
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27527
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Jul 2018, 18:05

The thing that amazes me about that - no one engages any more - they just take off on their own assumptions about what's going on. Did a single person ask what he was doing and why? Why would they when it's so much easier to assume you already know everything about everything?
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63772
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Jul 2018, 18:13

toomanyhatz wrote:The thing that amazes me about that - no one engages any more - they just take off on their own assumptions about what's going on. Did a single person ask what he was doing and why? Why would they when it's so much easier to assume you already know everything about everything?


I found that interesting too.

The older guy was the most interesting to me. These kids aren't getting paid and are volunteering and it keeps them occupied for a good cause and out of trouble. He automatically thought it was a waste of money.

Sure, the director (she's a young teacher and this is her summer job) and older counselors get paid a little. And after his volunteering ends at 3:30, Derek bikes to the library and reads books until I get home.

In fact, I can't think of a better use of tax dollars to occupy his day.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
harvey k-tel
Long Player
Posts: 40264
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby harvey k-tel » 06 Jul 2018, 20:40

Socialist!
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63772
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Jul 2018, 21:04

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Socialist!


:lol:

Up the proletariat!
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Six String
Posts: 20181
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 06 Jul 2018, 21:55

sloopjohnc wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:The thing that amazes me about that - no one engages any more - they just take off on their own assumptions about what's going on. Did a single person ask what he was doing and why? Why would they when it's so much easier to assume you already know everything about everything?


I found that interesting too.

The older guy was the most interesting to me. These kids aren't getting paid and are volunteering and it keeps them occupied for a good cause and out of trouble. He automatically thought it was a waste of money.

Sure, the director (she's a young teacher and this is her summer job) and older counselors get paid a little. And after his volunteering ends at 3:30, Derek bikes to the library and reads books until I get home.

In fact, I can't think of a better use of tax dollars to occupy his day.


No wonder people of color are having the cops called on them for simply being somewhere. Everyone thinks they know the score. Sad, really.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29686
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Jul 2018, 23:54

It's 113 degrees where I live. My AC won't go below 80. I'm sitting in my apartment sweating. Time to break out the booze!
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6361
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Jul 2018, 19:25

Bizarre day. It should have been all about the football. Went watching one of our closest friends do a charity sky dive this morning, and got really freaked out when her parachute didn't open properly, and had to be cut away. The reserve worked, and she's fine, but those few seconds, watching with her partner and kids, as her parachute was cast aside will stay with me a long time.

Then had a barbecue and some champagne back at ours to celebrate and chill, and missed most of the game, which seemed less important somehow.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
harvey k-tel
Long Player
Posts: 40264
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby harvey k-tel » 09 Jul 2018, 12:23

Back to work today after 3 weeks off. Can't say I'm really looking forward to it...
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63772
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jul 2018, 17:08

Darkness_Fish wrote:Bizarre day. It should have been all about the football. Went watching one of our closest friends do a charity sky dive this morning, and got really freaked out when her parachute didn't open properly, and had to be cut away. The reserve worked, and she's fine, but those few seconds, watching with her partner and kids, as her parachute was cast aside will stay with me a long time.

Then had a barbecue and some champagne back at ours to celebrate and chill, and missed most of the game, which seemed less important somehow.


That will get your heart pumping.

It's funny - my son asked me this weekend if I'd ever like to go sky diving. I told him I have a tough enough time on solid ground.

On other note, on the way to drop off my son at his summer job, we were talking about the upcoming week. I was telling him how much stuff I have going on and he said he had a busy week too.

I was kinda incredulous. I said, "You have your park job, football practice in the afternoon, and then field trips to a water park and go-kart racing at the end of the week."

He said, "I know. That's a lot of stuff to do."

I tried not to laugh.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 16510
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Neige » 10 Jul 2018, 14:07

The other day, my smartphone went diving three feet deep and didn't survive. Neither did the SIM card. :x

After hardly any fiddling with the replacement I bought the next day, I had virtually everything running as before - with all background and profile pictures (not to mention the 1000+ other pics), all contacts, all settings, all apps, even the bespoke ring tone!!! :shock:

It's sort of spooky, as I haven't knowingly synchronized anything or even considered using outside storage - ever!
I guess it's all in the Cloud by default these days.

I was relieved, sure, but I also feel deeply irritated by this. :?
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63772
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jul 2018, 00:58

Neige wrote:The other day, my smartphone went diving three feet deep and didn't survive. Neither did the SIM card. :x

After hardly any fiddling with the replacement I bought the next day, I had virtually everything running as before - with all background and profile pictures (not to mention the 1000+ other pics), all contacts, all settings, all apps, even the bespoke ring tone!!! :shock:

It's sort of spooky, as I haven't knowingly synchronized anything or even considered using outside storage - ever!
I guess it's all in the Cloud by default these days.

I was relieved, sure, but I also feel deeply irritated by this. :?


It is kinda creepy.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63772
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jul 2018, 17:12

I had a second interview at a DSL/WiFi company for their marcom manager position and they pretty much said they're going to offer me the job after they talk with the head of engineering, whom I met with yesterday. It's kind of an interesting place. The founder of the company invented DSL while he was at Stanford.

I told them I like the prospective work, but that the commute and they'd have to offer me a good amount for me to switch from my current place. I'm bored out of my mind, but I don't hit a freeway on my commute, so much so that I go home for lunch it's so close. The hours are very good where I'm at now, and it would be much busier at the new place. Which isn't bad, just a lot to do.

If they come back with a good amount, I'll leverage that in a negotiation for a little more pay at my current place and ask for more work. And see what happens.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25006
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby souphound » 12 Jul 2018, 14:24

Our office is moving up 3 floors tomorrow. I've been here for 27 years so you can only imagine how much stuff one gathers. We're moving to much smaller spaces (I'm going from a 10ft by 15ft office into a cubicle). For the past 6 weeks or so, we've been working feverishly at becoming as paperless as possible. Since we recently went from a team of 5 down to a team of 2, I've been taking care of the stuff of 4 people.

I'm just about done.

Of course on Monday, the unpacking begins. Can't wait. :?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63772
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Jul 2018, 00:03

souphound wrote:Our office is moving up 3 floors tomorrow. I've been here for 27 years so you can only imagine how much stuff one gathers. We're moving to much smaller spaces (I'm going from a 10ft by 15ft office into a cubicle). For the past 6 weeks or so, we've been working feverishly at becoming as paperless as possible. Since we recently went from a team of 5 down to a team of 2, I've been taking care of the stuff of 4 people.

I'm just about done.

Of course on Monday, the unpacking begins. Can't wait. :?


I have been in a cubicle from offices since 2000. I had three or four jobs before that where I had my own office. Just writing that down, I realize I've been cubicles for 18 years now. Even when I had manager positions.

You get used to the surrounding chatter.

I work with a young woman who works in our cube farm who intensely dislikes the surrounding noise and has a white noise machine underneath her desk to drown it out. My feeling is that you have to get used to it nowadays. Sometimes when I've been concentrating on editing something or have to review something intensely, I've had to put my fingers in my ears, but that doesn't happen very often. The place I work now is the quietest cube farm I've ever worked in. Usually, I'm stuck with sales folks and they can be loud.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 13 Jul 2018, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43097
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby LeBaron » 13 Jul 2018, 00:19

That sucks, souphound!

:x
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17351
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby pcqgod » 13 Jul 2018, 21:17

Someone called our office and asked for me and I told them that I wasn't in today. :lol:
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43097
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby LeBaron » 14 Jul 2018, 12:24

pcqgod wrote:Someone called our office and asked for me and I told them that I wasn't in today. :lol:


I won’t be fooled again. :x
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 10369
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: still at Red Hen restaurant

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Samoan » 14 Jul 2018, 21:47

Pansy Puff wrote:Does this count?

I've just been appointed headteacher of a secondary school in Gorton, Manchester.
Funny how schools work, I start in January.

I should say.

Many Congratulations!

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43097
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby LeBaron » 14 Jul 2018, 23:31

Congratulations, PP!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.