MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 19:52

I'm glad the US didn't make the World Cup. Less fucking soccer, I hope.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player
Posts: 38965
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 11 Oct 2017, 19:58

The US womens team is ranked #1 in the world, but who cares about those dumb chicks anyway.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4539
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby NMB » 11 Oct 2017, 20:18

sloopjohnc wrote:I'm glad the US didn't make the World Cup. Less fucking soccer, I hope.


So are we if you’re going to call it soccer! It’s football, where you kick a ball with your foot. ;)
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 21:20

NMB wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I'm glad the US didn't make the World Cup. Less fucking soccer, I hope.


So are we if you’re going to call it soccer! It’s football, where you kick a ball with your foot. ;)


;)

Soccer, soccer, soccer. . .
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 21:36

The SF Bay Area dropped down two markets as a TV market. I would bet it's because way fewer people watch stuff on TV in this area.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 34428
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby yomptepi » 11 Oct 2017, 21:44

Thoroughly irritated today. I have been trying to get a plumber to fit a new boiler in my house for about three years. The first one wanted nearly six grand, and thought it perfectly normal to pay his operatives over a thousand pounds a day each for the job, which he said would take two days. I disagreed. Eventually another plumber did responded to my email, and quoted me two grand for the job. ( Boiler is about £800.00.) They also were to move a radiator and fix the upstairs toilet. They arrived this morning, brimming with confidence, on time, and sure of their brief.

When I came home , the boiler has been installed in the wrong place. ( far too low and way over to the left). The radiator in the bedroom has been replaced like for like, so the new bed still does not fit. Why would you do that? I explained the whole reason for replacing the radiator was so the bed fitted, and the new one is even more intrusive on the beds space. For Fuck's sake. As for the boiler, I cannot imagine what they were thinking.

Anyway, they will have to do all of the work again. Which is more stress on an already threadbare bear. I am shaking with irritation.

On the up side, they have fixed the loo...
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 21:45

NMB wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I'm glad the US didn't make the World Cup. Less fucking soccer, I hope.


So are we if you’re going to call it soccer! It’s football, where you kick a ball with your foot. ;)


I am kinda irritated. The US sinks $1 billion into development and they can't get past Trinidad-Tobago?
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 21:46

yomptepi wrote:Thoroughly irritated today. I have been trying to get a plumber to fit a new boiler in my house for about three years. The first one wanted nearly six grand, and thought it perfectly normal to pay his operatives over a thousand pounds a day each for the job, which he said would take two days. I disagreed. Eventually another plumber did responded to my email, and quoted me two grand for the job. ( Boiler is about £800.00.) They also were to move a radiator and fix the upstairs toilet. They arrived this morning, brimming with confidence, on time, and sure of their brief.

When I came home , the boiler has been installed in the wrong place. ( far too low and way over to the left). The radiator in the bedroom has been replaced like for like, so the new bed still does not fit. Why would you do that? I explained the whole reason for replacing the radiator was so the bed fitted, and the new one is even more intrusive on the beds space. For Fuck's sake. As for the boiler, I cannot imagine what they were thinking.

Anyway, they will have to do all of the work again. Which is more stress on an already threadbare bear. I am shaking with irritation.

On the up side, they have fixed the loo...


:lol:

One out of three ain't bad.

I'd be angry too - one seems like common sense and the other you told them the reason.

Oy Vey.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
hippopotamus
Posts: 776
Joined: 22 Dec 2015, 11:00

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby hippopotamus » 11 Oct 2017, 22:17

I have a new supervisor who e-mailed me today to put a date in my diary for December 2019.
This is awful.
My epitaph, please

billy wrote:She took no shit. Very confident and no nonsense woman. Wears her drawers back to front these days ...

Good on her!

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4539
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby NMB » 11 Oct 2017, 22:37

yomptepi wrote:Thoroughly irritated today. I have been trying to get a plumber to fit a new boiler in my house for about three years. The first one wanted nearly six grand, and thought it perfectly normal to pay his operatives over a thousand pounds a day each for the job, which he said would take two days. I disagreed. Eventually another plumber did responded to my email, and quoted me two grand for the job. ( Boiler is about £800.00.) They also were to move a radiator and fix the upstairs toilet. They arrived this morning, brimming with confidence, on time, and sure of their brief.

When I came home , the boiler has been installed in the wrong place. ( far too low and way over to the left). The radiator in the bedroom has been replaced like for like, so the new bed still does not fit. Why would you do that? I explained the whole reason for replacing the radiator was so the bed fitted, and the new one is even more intrusive on the beds space. For Fuck's sake. As for the boiler, I cannot imagine what they were thinking.

Anyway, they will have to do all of the work again. Which is more stress on an already threadbare bear. I am shaking with irritation.

On the up side, they have fixed the loo...


I was expecting a builder today to give me a quote for damp repairs. He didn’t turn up.
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 34428
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby yomptepi » 11 Oct 2017, 23:40

NMB wrote:
I was expecting a builder today to give me a quote for damp repairs. He didn’t turn up.


I am a builder, and even I couldn't find a bloody plumber!!! I have asked all of our regular tradesmen to carry out the work, but for some reason it never seems to be convenient, even though I always stress that I am happy to pay the going rate and don't expect favours. This plumber is a friend of the next door neighbours, and has cancelled the installation three times already. The only upside is that my wife now appreciates how hard it is to get people to do any work for you these days.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
hippopotamus
Posts: 776
Joined: 22 Dec 2015, 11:00

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby hippopotamus » 11 Oct 2017, 23:44

yomptepi wrote:
NMB wrote:
I was expecting a builder today to give me a quote for damp repairs. He didn’t turn up.


I am a builder, and even I couldn't find a bloody plumber!!! I have asked all of our regular tradesmen to carry out the work, but for some reason it never seems to be convenient, even though I always stress that I am happy to pay the going rate and don't expect favours. This plumber is a friend of the next door neighbours, and has cancelled the installation three times already. The only upside is that my wife now appreciates how hard it is to get people to do any work for you these days.



My parents had a flood from an old pipe bursting (or something) in their kitchen in May. She had no running water, or usuable kitchen surface until last week. For about 4 months she's been having to wash the dishes in the little sink in the downstairs toilet with the help of a bucket.
All for want of trying to find people who will finish the job, and not make the situation worse.
My epitaph, please

billy wrote:She took no shit. Very confident and no nonsense woman. Wears her drawers back to front these days ...

Good on her!

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 34428
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby yomptepi » 11 Oct 2017, 23:49

hippopotamus wrote:
My parents had a flood from an old pipe bursting (or something) in their kitchen in May. She had no running water, or usuable kitchen surface until last week. For about 4 months she's been having to wash the dishes in the little sink in the downstairs toilet with the help of a bucket.
All for want of trying to find people who will finish the job, and not make the situation worse.



Plumbers really are the worst. :(
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
kewl klive
cultural defective
Posts: 14224
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: Petrus inhibito pompus

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby kewl klive » 12 Oct 2017, 12:48

sloopjohnc wrote:The SF Bay Area dropped down two markets as a TV market. I would bet it's because way fewer people watch stuff on TV in this area.


:idea:
Lonely Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

Baldy K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4539
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby NMB » 12 Oct 2017, 13:25

yomptepi wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:
My parents had a flood from an old pipe bursting (or something) in their kitchen in May. She had no running water, or usuable kitchen surface until last week. For about 4 months she's been having to wash the dishes in the little sink in the downstairs toilet with the help of a bucket.
All for want of trying to find people who will finish the job, and not make the situation worse.



Plumbers really are the worst. :(


My builder turned up unexpectedly today instead so he's forgiven (sort of).
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9664
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Samoan » 12 Oct 2017, 13:55

hippopotamus wrote:
NMB wrote:
I was expecting a builder today to give me a quote for damp repairs. He didn’t turn up.


All for want of trying to find people who will finish the job, and not make the situation worse.

Way back when I was a jobbing gardener, once I was established and my name got around (plus adverts initially) my phone was very very busy, except in Jan and Feb naturally enough, to the extent that I had to decline work. But having a gardener in is a Luxury not an emergency or necessity, (except if say, you're an elderly widow with a 10 foot high privet fence screening the front and side of her home which needs to come down a lot lower, for security reasons.)

On one occasion I heard my telephone number was a bit of a bartering tool - "If I give you the number of my trusted and reliable handyman, will you give me the number of C, your gardener, who I've heard good things about" - kinda thing.
I was a bit took aback by the number of customers who entrusted me with their keys, back and front and to lock up and I had one lady who left me with a signed and dated blank cheque on the kitchen table, said for me to fill it out for myself for the hours worked and to leave my receipt there once I was finished.
Matt Harringay wrote:European sweets invading our culture.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Oct 2017, 17:14

yomptepi wrote:
NMB wrote:
I was expecting a builder today to give me a quote for damp repairs. He didn’t turn up.


I am a builder, and even I couldn't find a bloody plumber!!! I have asked all of our regular tradesmen to carry out the work, but for some reason it never seems to be convenient.


Well, that's what I was thinking - you couldn't find one of your own subs that would do it?
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Oct 2017, 16:32

I forwarded my son's grades to my ex and she mentioned how good they are.

I emailed back that it's his current nurturing living environment that is so conducive to educational focus.

Our son lives with me now.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4539
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby NMB » 13 Oct 2017, 17:03

I've got a weekend away in a town I don't know (Bradford on Avon) so I've just been checking out the things to do list on the tourism website. The top item on the list is the local dental practice. It could be a fun weekend.
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Oct 2017, 17:42

NMB wrote:I've got a weekend away in a town I don't know (Bradford on Avon) so I've just been checking out the things to do list on the tourism website. The top item on the list is the local dental practice. It could be a fun weekend.


:lol:

I dunno, getting a cavity filled might be a good time depending on the anesthesia.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.