What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

When people ask me how I'm doing, or "what's up?"...

I just give them a generic response like "fine" or "nothing, how about you?"
13
57%
Usually generic, but occasionally tell the truth
7
30%
A good balance between the two
2
9%
Usually tell the truth, but sometimes can't be bothered
1
4%
Always tell them the truth, often in gruesome detail (warning: do not ask me these questions!)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 23

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47208
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Quaco » 29 Apr 2011, 21:18

Do you just say "ah fine" or something? Or do you actually tell them? Same with the question, "What's up?" Do you actually tell them what's going on in your life?

I've included a poll for those who are so inclined.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Billybob Dylan
Bonehead
Posts: 31807
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: in front of the telly

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Billybob Dylan » 29 Apr 2011, 21:23

You know, I really hate it when you ask someone you don't know very well how they are and they go into excruciating detail about how their life sucks. Consequently, I don't do it to them. I give them a cheery "fuckin' great, actually!" or something along those lines.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53439
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Snarfyguy » 29 Apr 2011, 21:24

I don't take such an inquiry literally. It's just a form of greeting.

Really, it's a pretty personal question! Because if you were going to be absolutely honest, which I don't think anyone really expects - or wants - , you'd have to be prepared to say things like "Oh, I was just worried about not having enough money" or "Well, I just had sex earlier. I feel pretty good!"
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40544
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Charlie O. » 29 Apr 2011, 21:31

I'm "fine."
Image

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47208
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Quaco » 29 Apr 2011, 21:32

Do you do the quotes with your fingers in the air too? That's a good answer if you do!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53439
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Snarfyguy » 29 Apr 2011, 21:58

Quaco wrote:Do you do the quotes with your fingers in the air too? That's a good answer if you do!

It's disappointing to me that, while air quotes became really popular, other kinds of air punctuation never really caught on. I would like to see more people using air parentheses, air commas and especially air semi-colons.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
harvey k-tel
Long Player
Posts: 40570
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby harvey k-tel » 29 Apr 2011, 21:58

"I'm good, man, how are you?" or "I'm doing very well, thank you. Yourself?"
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

sloopjohnc
Posts: 63921
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Apr 2011, 22:28

I've found no one really wants to find out how you're really doing. It gets uncomfortable for them if you do.

I just say, "good," which is more true than not.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sensi

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby sensi » 29 Apr 2011, 22:30

Up here the local greeting is "Hiya, how you doing, alright?"...nobody really wants to know the truth...I didn't know that as a fresh faced 20 year old first moving to the area but I soon found out after about a week :oops:

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30749
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Apr 2011, 22:31

sloopjohnc wrote:I've found no one really wants to find out how you're really doing.


That's not true.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47208
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Quaco » 29 Apr 2011, 22:36

I think it's sort of a "dude" thing for one to say "What's up?" and the other to respond "Hey", usually in a low unruffled tone Very efficient. We are dudes, we aren't infringing on one another's safety zones.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 7848
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby John aka Josh » 29 Apr 2011, 22:38

Well, it does depend on my relationship with the person and my perception of how they're asking. With the parent's of children in my class my response is likely to be generic even to the point of falsehood whereas acquaintances though likely to get a generic answer might get a more trueful response though this might be dependant on time.
Image

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 7848
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby John aka Josh » 29 Apr 2011, 22:40

Quaco wrote:I think it's sort of a "dude" thing for one to say "What's up?" and the other to respond "Hey", usually in a low unruffled tone Very efficient. We are dudes, we aren't infringing on one another's safety zones.



Oh for the days when simply saying "Watcha" was enough from all parties!
Image

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32974
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Apr 2011, 22:47

Nae bad
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

User avatar
Clippernolan
Maya's Prop
Posts: 12289
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:55
Location: The mangy BC hills
Contact:

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Clippernolan » 29 Apr 2011, 23:19

The standard Canadian "not too bad" is common. Still on the scale of bad, mind. But, as you're asking, it's not too bad, in this red hot moment. That status bound to change at any time along the bad spectrum.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47208
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Quaco » 29 Apr 2011, 23:21

Clippernolan wrote:The standard Canadian "not too bad" is common. Still on the scale of bad, mind. But, as you're asking, it's not too bad, in this red hot moment. That status bound to change at any time along the bad spectrum.

Indeed it would be presumptuous or indecorous to say you were doing well! Here in the States, I have the feeling it's the reverse. You say "not too bad" and people "oh I'm sorry to hear that". :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Modernist

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby The Modernist » 29 Apr 2011, 23:44

Depends on the situation. If it's a good friend, I'll just tell the truth, but only if we're alone.
Usually it's just used as an ice-breaker and I'll give a generic reply of "Fine -how are you?"

User avatar
Clippernolan
Maya's Prop
Posts: 12289
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:55
Location: The mangy BC hills
Contact:

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Clippernolan » 29 Apr 2011, 23:55

Quaco wrote:
Clippernolan wrote:The standard Canadian "not too bad" is common. Still on the scale of bad, mind. But, as you're asking, it's not too bad, in this red hot moment. That status bound to change at any time along the bad spectrum.

Indeed it would be presumptuous or indecorous to say you were doing well! Here in the States, I have the feeling it's the reverse. You say "not too bad" and people "oh I'm sorry to hear that". :)


We inherited it from the British. I blame them.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47208
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Quaco » 29 Apr 2011, 23:59

As for me, I think I keep an OK balance, but when I'm feeling tired or weak, I tend to answer too honestly and then realize it halfway through but find myself too tired or confused to get out of it gracefully. This happens more and more often, which is worrying.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hugh
Posts: 15814
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: What do you say when people ask you how you're doing?

Postby Hugh » 30 Apr 2011, 00:05

Clippernolan wrote:
Quaco wrote:
Clippernolan wrote:The standard Canadian "not too bad" is common. Still on the scale of bad, mind. But, as you're asking, it's not too bad, in this red hot moment. That status bound to change at any time along the bad spectrum.

Indeed it would be presumptuous or indecorous to say you were doing well! Here in the States, I have the feeling it's the reverse. You say "not too bad" and people "oh I'm sorry to hear that". :)


We inherited it from the British. I blame them.


I think "Not bad" or "Not too bad" is the standard Scottish response. It is what I always say. The only exception would be if I had a heavy cold or was otherwise obviously unwell in which case I might say "Not too bad but I've got a bit of a cold."