a struggle
59%

Total votes: 17

Bungo the Mungo

Re: life...

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Mar 2011, 14:52

The Champion wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:

Do the ones who see life more as a struggle feel 'supported' by the idea that deep, intelligent people tend to have that kind of outlook?

You assume that those seeing it that way are doing so out of some existential anguish about the meaninglesness of life.
It could just be that they're worried about their gas being cut off because they can't afford to pay the bill.

:D

I was assuming none of us here face that kind of problem....

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 23 Mar 2011, 14:53

Sir John Coan wrote:

That's a big assumption.

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 23 Mar 2011, 14:58

The Champion wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:

That's a big assumption.

Of course with that prize purse you have just won, you should be set for awhile...
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 23 Mar 2011, 15:41

polishgirl wrote:God invented wine, fags and very loud music.. :)

Paging The Hanging Monkey...
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 23 Mar 2011, 15:45

He doesn't smoke.

As for life, you should know it's just a bowl of All-Bran.

Or a pop of the cherry. When you're a boy.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

CatnHat

Postby CatnHat » 23 Mar 2011, 16:23

[quote="The Idiot"]It's just life. Sometimes it's shit, sometimes it's ace, most of the time it's, well, OK. It's definitely improved by a good soundtrack.
[quote]

And there's always someone worse off than you, and you should appreciate the good things you have :D
Beebsy wrote: I make up for it but being very funny, witty and having large boobs.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 23 Mar 2011, 16:29

CatnHat wrote:there's always someone worse off than you

... and that person is probably Coan ;)
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 23 Mar 2011, 17:30

Sir John Coan wrote:
the hanging monkey wrote:I don't HAVE to choose though, and it's a false dichotomy (you can look that one up, Coan). Listen to Nick at this point.

It would be a false dichotomy to state that life is either a struggle or a bundle of joys, as a fact. I'm just asking people to choose one or the other based on how they see things, how they feel, their temperament.

No, it's still a false dichotomy.

http://www.sierrafoot.org/soapbox/fallacies/false_dichotomy.html
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Mar 2011, 17:39

C. All of the above.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Mar 2011, 17:51

I'm speedily getting close to 50, outta work, spend too much time hanging out with you dorks, but still think it's a bundle of joy. Yeah it's tough sometimes, but I like to look at the glass as half full.

I think it's easier that way when you're on your deathbed and start thinking back on what you did and saw.

Is it perfect? Well, I refer you back to my first sentence. I feel lucky simply being born where I was and getting a few lucky breaks, life-wise, that I did.

Believe me, shit could be a whole lot worse than what we have it.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

savoirefaire
Location: formerly pore of sin...ga!, way of nor and currently pan of Ja!

Postby savoirefaire » 23 Mar 2011, 20:07

There's nothing like having a good stretch of a nice time when you've been feeling down for quite a prolonged period of time. I guess the thing that keeps me going is looking forward to the little bits of happiness I can gather from my life right now. Which is a struggle? I don't know, I don't enjoy parties as much as I seem to.
Kid P wrote:*Deleted*
Should have quoted SF

Sneelock wrote:I'm never bored. I'm boring. I think of it as a lifestyle choice!

[img]//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Fundraising_2009-horizontal-thanks-en.png[/img]

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 23 Mar 2011, 20:12

Don't talk to me about life.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 23 Mar 2011, 20:20

For me, it's definitely not a party, but struggle might be too strong a word. It's more like an office job, tasks to do but none terribly difficult, and quite a bit of waiting around. I guess it's the life I've chosen for myself. Purgatory rather than heaven or hell.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 23 Mar 2011, 20:30

Quaco wrote:For me, it's definitely not a party, but struggle might be too strong a word. It's more like an office job, tasks to do but none terribly difficult, and quite a bit of waiting around. I guess it's the life I've chosen for myself. Purgatory rather than heaven or hell.

Yes. Some of those tasks are repetitive or just plain tedious but it's not exactly hard work. Not quite Purgatory, though.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Mar 2011, 21:03

Quaco wrote:For me, it's definitely not a party, but struggle might be too strong a word. It's more like an office job, tasks to do but none terribly difficult, and quite a bit of waiting around. I guess it's the life I've chosen for myself. Purgatory rather than heaven or hell.

You should add "determined resignation" to that mature bitterness you've so carefully cultivated.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 24 Mar 2011, 00:53

It''s definitely both. More of a struggle on the whole, but that's why we're here.

Life is indeed what you make it. Attitude is everything.

The Driver wrote:... not all it could be, but it could also be far, far worse. be thankful for the great things about it and try not to let the bad things get you down.

Got it in one.

All that said, I look fwd to death. I'm really tired of dealing with certain things.

No more pain. Party all the time.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Django

Postby Django » 24 Mar 2011, 01:22

Most of the time, I'm having a good time.

I'm getting better at recognising that the moment in which I am existing is the one thing I will ever truly own, and it's up to me to either enjoy it or waste it. I could worry about next year - and there's a lot for me to worry about - but next year will never actually arrive. It doesn't exist. There's only now. And now. And now.

I had my daughter to myself today, and my wife gets home from work and asks what we've done, and we haven't really done anything. We pulled faces at each other a lot, and all the cherry trees at the end of the street have gone into blossom so we went down there and looked at how striking those trees look against the blue sky. And I pulled cherry blossoms off the lowest branches and put them in Matilda's hair. And then we went home. We didn't spend any money and we didn't win anybody's approval. I don't know what will happen tomorrow, or next year, but I can't imagine a day coming when it won't be possible to be as simply happy in the moment in which we live as we were today. And I realise that sounds like hippy bullshit, but it seems to me like's it's fundamentally true as well.

So..... screw you!

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 24 Mar 2011, 01:43

Django wrote:I'm getting better at recognising that the moment in which I am existing is the one thing I will ever truly own, and it's up to me to either enjoy it or waste it. I could worry about next year - and there's a lot for me to worry about - but next year will never actually arrive. It doesn't exist. There's only now. And now. And now.

That's exactly it, Django. The Mindfulness principle. You have to enjoy the moment you're in.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Mar 2011, 02:41

Django wrote:I had my daughter to myself today, and my wife gets home from work and asks what we've done, and we haven't really done anything. We pulled faces at each other a lot, and all the cherry trees at the end of the street have gone into blossom so we went down there and looked at how striking those trees look against the blue sky. And I pulled cherry blossoms off the lowest branches and put them in Matilda's hair. And then we went home. We didn't spend any money and we didn't win anybody's approval. I don't know what will happen tomorrow, or next year, but I can't imagine a day coming when it won't be possible to be as simply happy in the moment in which we live as we were today. And I realise that sounds like hippy bullshit, but it seems to me like's it's fundamentally true as well.

Beautiful post, buddy.

Remember that when she's a teenager. It will sustain you.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 Mar 2011, 02:47

I've been lucky.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Nextdoorland”