in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: Bye bye BoJo the clown

Postby yomptepi » 08 Jun 2022, 12:15

Rorschach wrote:
mudshark wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
They're retiring by the bucket loads, but there's no fresh blood coming in. It has to be the same in most Western countries. In Germany it's a steady job that brings you about Euro 50,000.00 annually, plus insurance and a pension. Doesn't sound too shabby. Indeed, it's a different discussion.

I was reading that early retirement is becoming a real problem throughout Europe and in the UK. The problem is that boomers, replete with property related wealth, are retiring in their mid fifties. This is becoming a real problem for exchequers, as these are the high earners, and the high tax payers. And they are retiring in their thousands, and buying up cheap properties in the countryside and by the sea. Which has other knock on complications. So we are losing experience, tax revenue, and affordable housing in one swoop.
You don't like me...do you?

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 08 Jun 2022, 12:32

yomptepi wrote:
The Prof wrote:It's funny that Norway and the UK both have as much North Sea oil as each other, yet the state Norwegian oil company has netted the country something like £400 billion more than the Tory approach of giving it to big companies and trying to tax them. Norway has been mostly OK through this energy crisis.
Not that I'm in favour of fossil fuels, or nuclear for that matter.

Giving everyone £400 is also fraught with problems. A lot of people don't need it and a lot will spend it on more pressing needs before it gets to the energy companies.

It isn't funny at all. Norway has 5 million people , we have 80 million people. It is incredibly simple, as always.

It isn't about profit per person, as you know perfectly well.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 08 Jun 2022, 12:37

yomptepi wrote:
I was reading that early retirement is becoming a real problem throughout Europe and in the UK. The problem is that boomers, replete with property related wealth, are retiring in their mid fifties. This is becoming a real problem for exchequers, as these are the high earners, and the high tax payers. And they are retiring in their thousands, and buying up cheap properties in the countryside and by the sea. Which has other knock on complications. So we are losing experience, tax revenue, and affordable housing in one swoop.

Hmm. There may well be something in that although I'm not sure there are boomers in their mid 50s. And, unless they are maintaining two properties, presumably they're freeing up housing in the cities?
In Spain, people are being offered financial incentives to keep working past retirement age; an offer I'll be taking up. And I've already bough my cheap house by the sea.
Whatever, the demographics in Europe look bad and unless we learn to accept immigrants it's only going to get worse.
Bugger off.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 08 Jun 2022, 15:00

Rorschach wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

Hmm. There may well be something in that although I'm not sure there are boomers in their mid 50s. And, unless they are maintaining two properties, presumably they're freeing up housing in the cities?
In Spain, people are being offered financial incentives to keep working past retirement age; an offer I'll be taking up. And I've already bough my cheap house by the sea.
Whatever, the demographics in Europe look bad and unless we learn to accept immigrants it's only going to get worse.

Here in North Devon most of the people we meet are doing what I did. Pack in work and cash in the pension at 58-60. Use the money from the house in the South East to buy a pile down here and plenty left over to live on until the pension kicks in at 67. Of course with property prices rocketing here, this is becoming a little less viable, but it is still doable for many, especiaally if you have property in London to sell.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 08 Jun 2022, 15:06

The Prof wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
The Prof wrote:It's funny that Norway and the UK both have as much North Sea oil as each other, yet the state Norwegian oil company has netted the country something like £400 billion more than the Tory approach of giving it to big companies and trying to tax them. Norway has been mostly OK through this energy crisis.
Not that I'm in favour of fossil fuels, or nuclear for that matter.

Giving everyone £400 is also fraught with problems. A lot of people don't need it and a lot will spend it on more pressing needs before it gets to the energy companies.

It isn't funny at all. Norway has 5 million people , we have 80 million people. It is incredibly simple, as always.

Of course it is. Norway has 16 times more money ( from oil and gas revenue ) to spend on supporting their people than we do. We were never in a position to store away all our oil money. We had a war in Iraq to pay for, and Brown's self inflicted finacial meltdown, not to mention Covid and brexit and every other disaster which has plagued us for the last 50 years. I don't think you can blame Boris for the fact that we didn't stash it all away. It has always been an easily accessible rainy day fund. And it has been raided into oblivion by each and every governmennt since oil was first stolen from the Scots.

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Jun 2022, 15:09

Just a couple of points of noteworthiness, the current UK population is 67-68 million and the nomenclature 'baby boomers' refers to anyone born between 1946 and 1964.

As you were.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 08 Jun 2022, 16:22

yomptepi wrote:
The Prof wrote:
yomptepi wrote:It isn't funny at all. Norway has 5 million people , we have 80 million people. It is incredibly simple, as always.

Norway has 16 times more money ( from oil and gas revenue ) to spend on supporting their people than we do.

Which is the point I'm making :roll: - from the same amount of oil they made more money for their country and their citizens.

Read the article above, it's pointless repeating it again so you can go off on some tangent about something else to blame Blair & Brown and exonerate Johnson.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 08 Jun 2022, 17:34

Thanks Tym! Indeed, I feel very accomplished. Next: posting pictures, Hope to achieve that by 2025.
Just mentioned the nuclear bit because of that endless thread you set up a while ago.
On British oil. I've heard such complaints a lot from British people, especially Scots, more specific Aberdonians who think Aberdeenshire should be its own country. An itsy-bitsy naive, I think. But brilliant pub banter.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 08 Jun 2022, 17:35

Rorschach wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

I am 56, and do not need to work anymore, after earning good wages (and paying huge amounts of tax) for 30 years. 5 years ago I requalified as an SEN teacher, and now have 4 years of experience. I am still willing to work. However the last 7 applications I have made have not even yielded an interview, let alone a job offer. I do not want to work a long way from my house, but it appears Hackney and Tower Hamlets are swimming in well-qualified SEN teachers. So I take it easy, practise my guitar and idle on the internet.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 08 Jun 2022, 19:18

Rorschach wrote: your default position should always be, 'He's talking crap.'

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Applies to everyone really

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Jun 2022, 16:47

HA HA!

Eat that you shambling fucking compost heap!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 25 Jun 2022, 13:58

Deebank wrote:HA HA!

''He is beginning to look a bit shakey. If he survives this latest shitstorm I think we can assume he will be PM for life.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 25 Jun 2022, 19:55

yomptepi wrote:

''He is beginning to look a bit shakey. If he survives this latest shitstorm I think we can assume he will be PM for life.

He looks fucked (I mean physically) perhaps coronory heart disease will take him down before Starmer does :lol:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Positive passion
Poptastic

Postby Positive passion » 25 Jun 2022, 20:31

yomptepi wrote:

Thank your god for the 22nd Amendment, otherwise it could be a double whammy.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 25 Jun 2022, 21:18

Deebank wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

He looks fucked (I mean physically) perhaps coronory heart disease will take him down before Starmer does :lol:

I cannot see any situation in which that happens.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jun 2022, 19:07

yomptepi wrote:
Deebank wrote:
yomptepi wrote:''He is beginning to look a bit shakey. If he survives this latest shitstorm I think we can assume he will be PM for life.

I cannot see any situation in which that happens.

Six months max.
Tiverton and Honiton has been safe tory since Tories were invented (by Satan) - they were wiped out. Nowhere is safe for them.
The only reason he's still there is because none of the fuckers has any balls.

That all said, Labour are praying he stays :lol:

fucking clown.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jun 2022, 19:20

Positive passion
Poptastic

Postby Positive passion » 27 Jun 2022, 05:37

Johnson is now saying his ludicrous shambles of an administration is "remarkable" and "exceptional". This is Trumpspeak.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Jun 2022, 07:09

Positive passion wrote:Johnson is now saying his ludicrous shambles of an administration is "remarkable" and "exceptional". This is Trumpspeak.

Well, he’s right: remarkably corrupt and exceptionally poor.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 27 Jun 2022, 09:07

His arrogance is astonishing. I know most of us have seen this, but it gets more relevant each day he's in power

Return to “Nextdoorland”