Bye bye BoJo the clown

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: Bye bye BoJo the clown

Postby yomptepi » 25 Jan 2022, 13:44

Positive Passion wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:I see both Shapps and Dorries are harping on about it not feing a party, which of course is the very poir level of spin we have been seeing recently. It doesn't to be a party, just not a work-related gathering.

Or is this emphasis on it not being a party to do with Johnson lying to parliament when he said there were no parties?

This latest one is stretching the point a bit. I don't think anyone would describe a sing song and a slice of cake as a party. And weren't they all already in the same office together ? In some ways this dilutes the seriousness of the early breeches of the rules. The next thing you know they will be saying that going to work at number 10 constututed a party.
You don't like me...do you?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 25 Jan 2022, 13:56

yomptepi wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:I see both Shapps and Dorries are harping on about it not feing a party, which of course is the very poir level of spin we have been seeing recently. It doesn't to be a party, just not a work-related gathering.

Or is this emphasis on it not being a party to do with Johnson lying to parliament when he said there were no parties?

This latest one is stretching the point a bit. I don't think anyone would describe a sing song and a slice of cake as a party. And weren't they all already in the same office together ? In some ways this dilutes the seriousness of the early breeches of the rules. The next thing you know they will be saying that going to work at number 10 constututed a party.

As I understand it, the attendees were in Downing Street, in various offices, but gathered in the Cabinet Room for this social purpose. It is not like the cake happened to be handed round at a cabinet meeting. Carrie Johnson's presence destroys any idea that this was work-related.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 25 Jan 2022, 16:37

Positive Passion wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:

As I understand it, the attendees were in Downing Street, in various offices, but gathered in the Cabinet Room for this social purpose. It is not like the cake happened to be handed round at a cabinet meeting. Carrie Johnson's presence destroys any idea that this was work-related.

Although she was in the building and in the bubble. I assume that if someone had put the kettle on and made tea for everyone, and had the temerity to offer buiscuits, this too would be a party.. I am happy that parties did take place in Downing Street during lockdaown. We have to be careful that we don 't throw out the baby with the bath water though. Otherwise the whole case becomes contaminated.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 26 Jan 2022, 00:47

yomptepi wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

Although she was in the building and in the bubble. I assume that if someone had put the kettle on and made tea for everyone, and had the temerity to offer buiscuits, this too would be a party.. I am happy that parties did take place in Downing Street during lockdaown. We have to be careful that we don 't throw out the baby with the bath water though. Otherwise the whole case becomes contaminated.

Miriam Webster: a social event in which entertainment, food, and drinks are provided
Collins: A party is a social event, often in someone's home, at which people enjoy themselves doing things such as eating, drinking, dancing, talking, or playing games.

By those definitions I would argue that it was a party. Doesn't really matter, it was clearly a social gathering with more people than was allowed at the time. It was definitely not a work activity, Carrie Johnson and the decorator's presence belying that.

Agree that it wasn't much of a party. You may be happy there were parties in Downing Street during lockdown, I'm not. It is a sad indictment that Johnson may go because of the social gatherings when there are so many other and better reasons why he should have resigned.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 Jan 2022, 09:48

Surely you'd like to think Boris gets tossed out because of his total ineptitude rather than being at some fucking party?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 26 Jan 2022, 10:15

never/ever wrote:Surely you'd like to think Boris gets tossed out because of his total ineptitude rather than being at some fucking party?

Sure, of course, but politicians do not normally chuck leaders because they are inept at governing (as opposed to inept at campaigning), on the basis that this would set a precedent that may come back to bite them.
And it is not that he attended a social gathering that is causing public outrage. That stuff is merely the evidence. It is the two-facedness, the rules don't apply to me attitude, the contempt shown to the public, and as always, the cover-up.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jan 2022, 10:24

never/ever wrote:Surely you'd like to think Boris gets tossed out because of his total ineptitude rather than being at some fucking party?

Well, the two aren't unconnected.
'Partygate' is a direct consequence of Johnson's well known character flaws, including ineptitude.
It's hard to conceive of any other politician in recent history transgressing their own rules and laws in such a blatant way and then lying about it - including to parliament.

This is amazingly prescient:

I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 26 Jan 2022, 10:45

Deebank wrote:

Well, the two aren't unconnected.
'Partygate' is a direct consequence of Johnson's well known character flaws, including ineptitude.
It's hard to conceive of any other politician in recent history transgressing their own rules and laws in such a blatant way and then lying about it - including to parliament.

This is amazingly prescient:

School reports can describe the adult, I think. I have come to think several comments in my school reports towards the end - so 16 - 18 years of age - still apply in my later fifties, and have always applied. One in particular - "he is composed almost entirely of rough edges" - really seems to hit home when I look back at my careers and relationships.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jan 2022, 12:56

Positive Passion wrote: "he is composed almost entirely of rough edges" - really seems to hit home when I look back at my careers and relationships.

PP, yesterday:

(That 'gag' wasn't worth the effort I had to put in to getting a suitable image :( )
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jan 2022, 13:11

Everything seems to be hanging on this Sue Grey report. However, I expect whatever it says (and the fact that the Met - currently the paramilitary wing of the conservative party - has found sufficient evidence to start an investigation in it is highly significant) , Johnson's supporters are always going to claim that he has been vindicated. That will be the immediate response. I reckon that will fall apart very rapidly though... We'll see.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 26 Jan 2022, 15:55

"Let's wait and see what the report says"

Repeat -> repeat -> repeat

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 27 Jan 2022, 12:36

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 27 Jan 2022, 19:18

Very good
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 28 Jan 2022, 14:33

The Prof wrote:"Let's wait and see what the report says"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :roll:

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 29 Jan 2022, 18:54

It's out but it is a bit redacted.

The Prime Minister
gkgkgkkgkgkk kgkgkgkgk gkgkgk
kkgkgkgk did gdgdgdggd
hhfgfhgshghs gghfghfhfh
bv bvcb cvbcvbb
bvcbc nothing dsvsdvsdvsddvvsvv svsvsdvsdv
bbcvcccvbbccb bv vbbvb cb
svsvsvssvsv dsvsvsddv wrong
Give a shit or be a shit.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 29 Jan 2022, 19:09

Tom Waits For No One wrote:

It's out but it is a bit redacted.

The Prime Minister
gkgkgkkgkgkk kgkgkgkgk gkgkgk
kkgkgkgk did gdgdgdggd
hhfgfhgshghs gghfghfhfh
bv bvcb cvbcvbb
bvcbc nothing dsvsdvsdvsddvvsvv svsvsdvsdv
bbcvcccvbbccb bv vbbvb cb
svsvsvssvsv dsvsvsddv wrong

:D except that it is probably accurate

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 31 Jan 2022, 14:52

Well, here it is!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 31 Jan 2022, 15:18

Yep, I've read it (didn't take long) and it's as wooly and vague as you might expect from civil servant.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 31 Jan 2022, 16:15

Johnson really is a fucking disgrace. He is humiliating the whole country now.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 31 Jan 2022, 16:26

"Let's wait and see what the rest of the report says"