MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32235
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Mar 2021, 19:50

:P
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Positive Passion
Posts: 1590
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Positive Passion » 30 Mar 2021, 20:25

Minnie the Minx wrote:Do you work in a borstal PP?


No, but I work with 15 year olds with severe autism. Some of my students can become overwhelmed sensorily (too much noise, too many demands, too much language etc) and kick, scratch, punch and bite. Or hurt themselves, which is difficult to watch. Some triggers are obvious, but some aren't - it could be something that happened last week, it pops into their brain, and whump. You are on high alert all the time, and drained at the end of the day.
On ther hand, we are not just carers - this is school, so we try and develop the students' skills to self-regulate. Every now and then you see huge progress, and it makes the previous four years' work worth it.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32235
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Mar 2021, 20:28

Oh, I get it. Sorry, I sounded tactless.
Nearly all my siblings work in that field in various different roles, very challenging and rewarding, as you say.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Positive Passion
Posts: 1590
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Positive Passion » 30 Mar 2021, 20:53

Minnie the Minx wrote:Oh, I get it. Sorry, I sounded tactless.
Nearly all my siblings work in that field in various different roles, very challenging and rewarding, as you say.


I didn't think you were tactless - it was funny!

User avatar
Flower
Posts: 9390
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Flower » 02 Apr 2021, 20:07

Looking forward to the beef brisket tonight that we're picking up at our local BBQ joint. :)
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21549
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Jimbly » 03 Apr 2021, 10:30

Its my Mum and Dad's 60th Wedding Anniversary today. They only managed 15 years together. I'll raise a wee glass to them later.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 25359
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby never/ever » 03 Apr 2021, 10:50

Positive Passion wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Do you work in a borstal PP?


No, but I work with 15 year olds with severe autism. Some of my students can become overwhelmed sensorily (too much noise, too many demands, too much language etc) and kick, scratch, punch and bite. Or hurt themselves, which is difficult to watch. Some triggers are obvious, but some aren't - it could be something that happened last week, it pops into their brain, and whump. You are on high alert all the time, and drained at the end of the day.
On ther hand, we are not just carers - this is school, so we try and develop the students' skills to self-regulate. Every now and then you see huge progress, and it makes the previous four years' work worth it.


Yesterday was World Autism Awareness Day and I had some convos with some of my friends who have children on the spectrum. Terrific how they handle the every day pressures and full credit to you for your part in helping them on their way.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25893
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby souphound » 03 Apr 2021, 16:49

I was rudely awakened at 10:30 on this fine Saturday morning by an errant doorbell ring. Turns out the ringer was a lovely, well-appointed young lady carrying flowers for delivery to a friend a couple of doors down (the entrances look identical). Her apologetic smile made everything forgivable instantly.

10 bloody 30. Wake up you old fart. :roll:
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21549
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Jimbly » 05 Apr 2021, 09:54

I'm having a few days holiday, 4 to be exact. I've been pottering about in the flat getting to things that I've been meaning to for months. The Wee Guy is back for Easter holidays as well. Enjoying my quiet coffee before he gets up. Just wish it was a bit warmer.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32235
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Apr 2021, 15:59

After months of lockdown completely halting their house sale, coupled with a final semi disastrous building report that threatened to scupper the whole thing, my folks have a moving date - in just three weeks. They are moving in to a rental in town, near the canal, near my sister's house, bus and train routes, craft and art shops, pubs, bars, restaurants, chip shops and OTHER PEOPLE. Not driving, my stepmum has been totally isolated up on the moors for years even though the views were spectacular. She's going to be able to wander out on her own and this is going to be life changing for her- and us, as we can walk from theirs to my sisters and back and have bolt holes for my yearly furious row with my Dad about whether I am qualified to use the washing machine or not. They are in the process of packing which I can't even think about - they've been happy hoarders for years and now have to get rid of it all in a matter of days. A big relief all round!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String
Posts: 21625
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 08 Apr 2021, 05:03

Moving, especially after living in a place a long time can be a drag but it sounds like a good move for them.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21549
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Jimbly » 08 Apr 2021, 11:02

My Dad would've been 93 today.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 2943
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Hightea » 14 Apr 2021, 22:13

I just made $300 in the music industry (music consulting). Never thought we would make any money in Music as i'm not a musician. :lol:

User avatar
Flower
Posts: 9390
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Flower » 16 Apr 2021, 13:18

i saw a robin proudly displaying a very long worm that he just caught. He was so proud and waving the worm in front of the other robins in the meadow. I rarely see birds with worms and this was a treat. :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 2943
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Hightea » 16 Apr 2021, 15:11

Flower wrote:i saw a robin proudly displaying a very long worm that he just caught. He was so proud and waving the worm in front of the other robins in the meadow. I rarely see birds with worms and this was a treat. :D

It's funny never saw that much either. However last few years taking pictures of birds with a major zoom lens I realize it happens all the time.
I love Robins they always look proud with there chest sticking out.