Art. What do you think this means?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Art. What do you think this means?

Postby Jimbo » 09 Aug 2020, 12:14

kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: Art. What do you think this means?

Postby Jimbo » 09 Aug 2020, 12:18

Kind of reminds me of this. Minus her face and the top of her head, and the hat, too, I guess.

kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Aug 2020, 14:42

kath wrote:(she squints, focusing all her concentration...)

inn dooooob ittt ableeee.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 09 Aug 2020, 14:51

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Aug 2020, 16:51

Jimbo wrote:Image

Why does it have to mean anything, why can't it just be about design, shape, form and overall composition?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 09 Aug 2020, 17:31

robertff wrote:

Why does it have to mean anything, why can't it just be about design, shape, form and overall composition?

Yes, it need not mean anything. Another question to ask is what does it make you think about. You might think about design etc, or you might think about damage, or what mouths are for, or can you recognise somone from just their jaw, or questions about identity, usw.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 09 Aug 2020, 17:34

My comments above apply to this too. This picture has obvious historical and religious references, but as well as all that what does it make you think about?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Aug 2020, 18:27

It makes me think what ridiculous present day conspiracy theory you're going to link these all together to?
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Aug 2020, 18:28

Well, it would remind you of Nefertiti as its a fragment of a portrait sculpture of an Egyptian queen (only royalty got sculptures at this time in Egypt) from the Armana period, just before Tutankhamun. As others have said, it doesn't mean anything out of context: for instance, used as it is as the cover illustration of Jean-Phillipe Rameau's Pygmalion album, it references the Greek myth/story of a sculptor who made a statue of a woman out of ivory that was so beautiful he prayed to Aphrodite to bring her to life, and his prayers were answered.: George Bernard Shaw's play Pygmalion updated the myth to that of a teacher who vowed to make a lady out of uneducated lower-class lady, then fell in love with her. This play was then adapted as the musical My Fair Lady.
You're welcome. [/smug git]
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 09 Aug 2020, 18:34

Diamond Dog wrote:
It makes me think what ridiculous present day conspiracy theory you're going to link these all together to?

Jimbo is Dan Brown?

Re-fucking-spect!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 Aug 2020, 20:05

She was Ahkenaten’s main wife.

He was interesting in a number of ways. Often credited with being the first monotheist - some even think the template for Moses although he was a few hundred years too early to be the man himself iirc. He got rid of all the established and millennia old gods and their priests, temples etc and made everyone worship the Aten - the Life giving sun god.

He also is reckoned to have had a genetic disease which gave him a strange appearance.

So he is the source of a whole bunch of pseudo- historical conjecture.

A fascinating individual nonetheless.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Aug 2020, 01:44

Rayge wrote: Well, it would remind you of Nefertiti as its a fragment of a portrait sculpture of an Egyptian queen

Thanks for that Ray. I didn't know it was an antiquity. I saw it and immediately thought it was modern art and just something some clever modern artist did with an oddly shaped stone, maybe a portrait of his lady's lovely lips. The lips are lovely.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Aug 2020, 03:31

I am reminded of a cleverly titled painting I saw years ago of a hand squeezing a lady's breast called "Honk."

This painting should be called "Ouch."

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Aug 2020, 03:50

Diamond Dog wrote:It makes me think what ridiculous present day conspiracy theory you're going to link these all together to?

Since you are so curious ...

Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

Revealed: how the spy agency used unwitting artists such as Pollock and de Kooning in a cultural Cold War

For decades in art circles it was either a rumour or a joke, but now it is confirmed as a fact. The Central Intelligence Agency used American modern art - including the works of such artists as Jackson Pollock, Robert Motherwell, Willem de Kooning and Mark Rothko - as a weapon in the Cold War. In the manner of a Renaissance prince - except that it acted secretly - the CIA fostered and promoted American Abstract Expressionist painting around the world for more than 20 years. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 78808.html

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Aug 2020, 14:03

Jimbo wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:It makes me think what ridiculous present day conspiracy theory you're going to link these all together to?

Since you are so curious ...

Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

Revealed: how the spy agency used unwitting artists such as Pollock and de Kooning in a cultural Cold War

For decades in art circles it was either a rumour or a joke, but now it is confirmed as a fact. The Central Intelligence Agency used American modern art - including the works of such artists as Jackson Pollock, Robert Motherwell, Willem de Kooning and Mark Rothko - as a weapon in the Cold War. In the manner of a Renaissance prince - except that it acted secretly - the CIA fostered and promoted American Abstract Expressionist painting around the world for more than 20 years. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 78808.html

What? The CIA tried to implant decadent Western culture into the psyche of the Iron curtain countries?!

Gee - who knew?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Aug 2020, 15:35

Diamond Dog wrote:
What? The CIA tried to implant decadent Western culture into the psyche of the Iron curtain countries?!

Gee - who knew?

The art the CIA was peddling was the kind of art that most people thought was shit. "My kid could do better art." We had to be taught that those massive Pollock doodles was good art. And rich buyers had to be sold on the idea that this was good art. And like rubes at a freak show they bit the bait and bought big time.

And with success selling shit art what else, what other shit has the CIA sold us over the years? Pretty much everything you see on TV, in the movies on the news has the CIA's wink and a nod approval. Thanks for the art CIA!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Aug 2020, 17:23

You start off by saying the CIA used unwitting artists such as Pollock and de Kooning in a cultural Cold War.
Then that they were convincing Americans such as yourself that it was great art?
So who were they trying to pervert - American kids of Eastern European kids - in their 'cultural cold war'?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 10 Aug 2020, 17:39

Pollock's giant webs are great art.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 11 Aug 2020, 04:24

Positive Passion wrote:Pollock's giant webs are great art.

I thought so too but now in my crotchety conservative years and giving the matter a bit of thought, I don't think so. It's art, I guess, in that it'll cover a wall quite nicely but great? I contend we only accept it as great when we involuntarily entered the "new normal" of the 50s and 60s when "art" became a religion. Dad, no fool he, said to me, "Son, Picasso could shit on a board and sell it for a million bucks."

And a germ of a thought re "the elite." Conspiracy folk go on about an elite running the world. If any pursuit is associated with an elite it's art and art collecting. By and large this elite is rich as fuck and if one of this elite proclaims this or that art "great" then, like its been touched by God, shazaam! It's great! And worth a lot of money.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 11 Aug 2020, 09:21

Keith Haring was a South American CIA black ops dude.
He got ‘taken’ to Nazca by some Area 51 escapees. It changed him. Gave up water boarding for graffiti. Never looked back.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."