How about those all you can eat buffets?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

How about those all you can eat buffets?

Postby Jimbo » 11 Feb 2019, 14:50

Just back from a fancy hotel's lunch buffet where friends took us to celebrate my wife's birthday. I skipped breakfast just so I'd have room for all that food. I was told the buffet's specialty was roast beef and was thinking all morning about the mounds of roast beef I was going to eat. And you know what? It was pretty good but did I overeat and felt like hell afterwards and the only way I was leaving was if they rolled me out. I ate roast beef, of course, the few thin slices of the meat they doled out each trip to the roast beef slicer guy, but I also ate a cheese omelet, a bowl of vegetable curry, roast chicken, a big potato salad heavy salad, fried rice, french bread french toast, dessert including a bowl of soft strawberry ice cream topped with chocolate covered marshmallows, assorted breads and pastries and three cups of excellent coffee.

I have been to any number of buffets and generally feel guilty and overstuffed afterwards but I still love 'em. Anyone have opinions about them?
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: How about those all you can eat buffets?

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 Feb 2019, 15:10

I feel sick already when I read all you ate.

But one always over eats at those things. It's a 'pay yer money and eat untill stuffed' thing.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 11 Feb 2019, 15:55

I have never been to one that was any good. In fact as a rule they are uniformly appalling. The food is luke warm or dried out. I would much rather eat less of a freshly cooked meal than a mountain of garbage.
You don't like me...do you?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 11 Feb 2019, 16:24

I once had a job near Toronto's Little India neighbourhood, and would occasionally go with my co-workers to the excellently named "New Haandi 3000" restaurant for their lunch buffet, where you could load up on delicious curries, stuff yourself with naan and popadoms, and get a bowl of ice cream for dessert for $15. The buffet itself wasn't one of those massive sprawling monstrosities you see in suburban shitholes, but just a large steam-table with about 6 or 8 dishes on it, so the food was pretty fresh and decent.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Feb 2019, 18:09

Shakey's Pizza. Maybe the cheapest and most filling meal you can buy in Tokyo. It ain't very good pizza but the cooks crank them out so they're fresh and hot with a variety of interesting toppings including marshmallow and chocolate pizza. There's also pasta, fried potatoes, curry a decent salad bar, soft drinks and coffee. I've been there way too many times to have any self respect left so fuggit. I give up. I'll likely go again sometime soon. :oops:
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 Feb 2019, 18:52

There's a chain in Belgium called Wok Dynasty. Great buffet, freshly cooked wok (you pick your own ingredients), fresh tepanyaki.
Not very much choice of deserts unless you eat ice cream.
Other than that, stay away from Pizza Hut.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 11 Feb 2019, 18:57

I get most excited about a decent salad bar.

I have fond memories of the one at Bullwinkle's (nothing to do with bovine penises my dad assured me before we went) in Calgary. It was one of those places for kids' parties with a fountain show thing and an animatronic Rocky and Bullwinkle show. The salad bar was the highlight.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Feb 2019, 19:01

One word: VEGAS
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 11 Feb 2019, 21:21

Two words: FAT BOYS

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Feb 2019, 22:51

They've got 'em every day on most cruises.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Feb 2019, 23:13

God, when I was younger I used to love those. I'd come in all combative and say "they're gonna LOSE MONEY on me, I'm gonna eat so much!" Little realizing that that's not actually humanly possible. Even then I regretted it. Felt uncomfortable for hours afterwards.

Indian buffets like Harv describes, great - I still do those from time-to-time. But that's more about a cheap way of getting some variety than overeating. For me, anyway.

I mean - even a salad bar- it's geared to feeding as many people as quickly as possible- I can think of no scenario where that's preferable to having someone make a salad for you - and particularly now that the Chipotle model is common - you tailor your meal how you want using their ingredients - I just never do them any more. Not worth it.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Feb 2019, 06:14

Goat Boy wrote:One word: VEGAS

Indeed.

I defy anyone to visit any one of maybe 15 all you can eat buffets in Las Vegas and come away unsatisfied. Admittedly the days of them being a cheap alternative are well gone (a dinner buffet at somewhere like Caesars, Wynn, Bellagio is going to set you back around $50 per person these days) but they are exceptional. My own personal favourite was the Carnival World Buffet at The Rio - amazing choice of food, beautifully cooked, for around $30. There are many others of similar quality/price.
"Excuse my dust."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits "
"It put me back in my place and made me realize, yes I'm just a cunt in a clown suit."

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2019, 06:33

Diamond Dog wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:One word: VEGAS

Indeed.

I defy anyone to visit any one of maybe 15 all you can eat buffets in Las Vegas and come away unsatisfied. Admittedly the days of them being a cheap alternative are well gone (a dinner buffet at somewhere like Caesars, Wynn, Bellagio is going to set you back around $50 per person these days) but they are exceptional. My own personal favourite was the Carnival World Buffet at The Rio - amazing choice of food, beautifully cooked, for around $30. There are many others of similar quality/price.

Thirty bucks? I have thirty bucks. Las Vegas or bust!

I particularly like hotel breakfast buffets. Ever have one of those self-made waffles? They're pretty good.

One thing in the states I am not comfortable with is tipping at a buffet.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 12 Feb 2019, 10:03

They are wasted on me as I stop eating the moment I’m full and do not like to binge.

The food is typically bog standard anyway but I have been to a few decent ones. One of the best was at a resort in The Maldives and as the food was all inclusive with the resort costs it was buffet at breakfast, lunch and dinner and the choices changed everyday with some days themed (Indian, Thai, Chinese) and it was always very fine food.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 12 Feb 2019, 16:48

Love them.

But get angry when greedy cunts pile food up on a plate and leave half of it. And then, go and do it again.

Cruises, Vegas, all-inclusive holidays.

A highlight.

However, it’s nice to do a silver-service breakfast sometimes. It is more civilised.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 13 Feb 2019, 04:39

Fonz wrote:
But get angry when greedy cunts pile food up on a plate and leave half of it. And then, go and do it again.

My wife said there are places n Japan that charge you for uneaten food - as I was abandoning a few spoonfuls of potato salad.

Robert

Postby Robert » 13 Feb 2019, 07:55

Jimbo wrote:
Fonz wrote:

My wife said there are places n Japan that charge you for uneaten food - as I was abandoning a few spoonfuls of potato salad.

There are two places here like that. One is Mexican/Spanish based, the other Asian. It's not a Buffet, you simply order one or two dishes at a time which they serve at your tabel. The portions are fairly small but you can order as many times as you want. I think they charge 25 to 30 Euro excl drinks but uneaten stuff gets charged extra. Makes a lot of sense.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 13 Feb 2019, 12:21

Robert wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Fonz wrote:

There are two places here like that. One is Mexican/Spanish based, the other Asian. It's not a Buffet, you simply order one or two dishes at a time which they serve at your tabel. The portions are fairly small but you can order as many times as you want. I think they charge 25 to 30 Euro excl drinks but uneaten stuff gets charged extra. Makes a lot of sense.

There were a few all-you-can eat sushi joints like that around here - although I haven't seen one in a while - that were similar. Pay a flat fee and order as many dishes as you want, a few at a time. Everything is made to order and fresh. My wife and I went once when we were out running errands, but weren't terribly hungry, so we didn't really get our money's worth.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Robert

Postby Robert » 13 Feb 2019, 14:11

harvey k-tel wrote:
Robert wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

There were a few all-you-can eat sushi joints like that around here - although I haven't seen one in a while - that were similar. Pay a flat fee and order as many dishes as you want, a few at a time. Everything is made to order and fresh. My wife and I went once when we were out running errands, but weren't terribly hungry, so we didn't really get our money's worth.

No one ever does ( except Jimbo maybe) but that's hardly the point. You don't go around calculating the real cost price of the food in a regular restaurant either. They only say you can eat as much as you want not you can eat more than you pay for. I mean, after all it remains a business model.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Feb 2019, 18:41

yomptepi wrote:I have never been to one that was any good. In fact as a rule they are uniformly appalling. The food is luke warm or dried out. I would much rather eat less of a freshly cooked meal than a mountain of garbage.

put me down for a freshly cooked meal on Monday and a mountain of garbage on Tuesday. I'm flexible.

the first "All You Can Eat Buffet" I was aware of out here in the City of the Angles was a chain called (I think) Sir George. Man, those things were everywhere out here in the seventies. I never liked the food enough to offset the price. I'd go to Thrifty's Drug Store and eat food only slightly worse for a whole lot less.

we have a chain out here now called "Souplantation" - again, it's not exactly cheap but the salad bar is exceptional then they have a bunch of "Shakey's" type stuff off on the side. There are people in white aprons moving the food around to give the impression that it's fresh. most of it is because the place is usually packed to the gills.

Speaking of "packed to the gills" - the biggest "All You Can Eat" chain out here now is "Home Town Buffet" it's a decent value but I can't get used to it. it's like a "Big Box Store" for eating. I find it hard to believe that the good lord intended that many people to be eating in the same place at the same time. it's like eating in a fucking airport. If you're feeling pretty optimistic about the human race, an evening at Home Town Buffet will set that right.

People will stand waiting for more meat - ham, roast beef, whatever. the steward will bring out a big ol' Fred Flinstone like slab o' meat and WHAM - three or four lined up have taken it. the line remains. lather rinse repeat.

we used to have a lot of "Mongolian Barbecue" all you can eats out here but once they caught on it's pretty much once through now. you pick a meat and a whole gob of vegetables and they fry it up in a big steel drum sized pan for you. they used to give you less meat each time through but it was still a pretty great deal.

I'm not too picky. Sizzlers are closing up all over the place. you could get a steak and salad bar for just over ten bucks for years. Bob's Big Boy's are disappearing too. they had a breakfast buffet that was destined to fail. you can't sit that much bacon out in front of Americans and expect to make a profit.
Last edited by Sneelock on 13 Feb 2019, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't fly -- you can't be a Byrd."