Dimblebye

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: QT live!

Postby yomptepi » 30 Nov 2018, 15:08

People only criticise Wetherspoons because they are snobs. It is all bullshit. Who is going to go to their old local and buy a pint for a fiver, when you can a better pint for two quid in a warm and busy Spoons down the road. Not me for a start.
You don't like me...do you?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 30 Nov 2018, 15:52

The ones I've experienced are either full of unpleasant beer monsters (Queens Rd Brighton) or large, echoing, cold, empty atmos-free sheds (Redhill) full of alchies and depressed-looking pensioners during the day.

I suppose if the only thing you're worried about is the price of your pint then fair enough. I'm glad to say you don't get them round our way.

I doesn't help that the boss is a Billy Britain fantasist. I wouldn't like to think I was lining that twat's pocket, personally.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 30 Nov 2018, 16:11

yomptepi wrote:People only criticise Wetherspoons because they are snobs. It is all bullshit. Who is going to go to their old local and buy a pint for a fiver, when you can a better pint for two quid in a warm and busy Spoons down the road. Not me for a start.

yes I'm a snob.

the closest 'spoons to me isnt a converted opera house or a community hub for the older generation. Its a converted post office with the stickiest carpet in the world.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 Nov 2018, 16:26

I don't mind a Wetherspoons, so long as they're kept clean. As Goat Boy rightly says, their chips are great. The food, is what it is, cheap microwave chain pub food, no better or worse than most of the other large franchises. The beer is normally cheap, and excellent. My nearest Wetherspoons is The Brocket, a suburban cavernous place, it must be one of the largest pubs in the country, but its always busy, and remarkably clean compared to many city/town centre spoons. Not the kind of place to go for a night out, but always worth popping in on the way out somewhere, or on the way back.

The one near Manchester Piccadilly, however, is literally the worst pub in the world. Full of drunks, threadbare carpet and filthy, with that blue anti-drug lighting in the toilets to really set the tone for the clientele.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

NMB

Postby NMB » 03 Dec 2018, 11:25

Deebank wrote:The ones I've experienced are either full of unpleasant beer monsters (Queens Rd Brighton) or large, echoing, cold, empty atmos-free sheds (Redhill) full of alchies and depressed-looking pensioners during the day.

I suppose if the only thing you're worried about is the price of your pint then fair enough. I'm glad to say you don't get them round our way.

I doesn't help that the boss is a Billy Britain fantasist. I wouldn't like to think I was lining that twat's pocket, personally.

What on earth were you doing in Redhill?
turn on, tune in, nod off

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Dec 2018, 11:35

NMB wrote:
Deebank wrote:The ones I've experienced are either full of unpleasant beer monsters (Queens Rd Brighton) or large, echoing, cold, empty atmos-free sheds (Redhill) full of alchies and depressed-looking pensioners during the day.

What on earth were you doing in Redhill?

Working - supposedly.

Come Friday lunchtime, the boss (a big prog fan) would announce 'Set the controls for the heart of the sun' and we would troop across the road to The Sun guffawing wildly. It is still there - a JD Wetherspoons pub, fuck our rotten luck!

Incidentally, did you know that Paul Heaton wrote Happy Hour about his experiences working in Redhill? I can sympathise.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: SOME WETHERSPOONS ARE NICE AND SOME ARE SHITTY

Postby Toby » 03 Dec 2018, 13:50

I was in the Tunbridge Wells one on Friday for a late whisky. It was full of foundation-caked teenagers, whippet-thin Polish lads and sphincter eyed hobbits.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 03 Dec 2018, 14:46

I quite like the converted opera house in T. Wells, and often visit there for a swift half when I'm down south. Probably the nicest 'Spoons I've been in, though the converted library in Peterborough isn't bad either.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Dec 2018, 15:06

The Imperial, Exeter. Rarely visit Wetherspoons as cheap beer irrelevant and they have a No Dogs policy, but a decentish veg all-day breakfast comes in handy on the odd rare occasion.

I'm yet to watch a single episode of Question Time,or indeed any current affairs prog apart from election night fiascoes since the 1980s, so can't contribute to the pre-diversionary thread. Sorry John.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Question Time

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 06 Dec 2018, 23:03

oh shut up (not you Ray)
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 07 Dec 2018, 01:04

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:oh shut up (not you Ray)

There is an undercurrent of utter desperation in these debates about Brexit now. It makes for very depressing viewing, and that is before you have to listen to that wretched lawyer. Corbyn is clearly having all his cabinet tutored by rote into answering every question with the same answer. Who knows? It might work...

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 07 Dec 2018, 01:11

It's the baying from the audience that most depresses me.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 07 Dec 2018, 14:27

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I wonder who the replacement will be?

Just confirmed.

Ho hum.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 07 Dec 2018, 16:23

She might be the easiest on the eye but Kirsty Wark and Emily Maitlis have proved themselves very experienced in not taking bullshit from politicians

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 07 Dec 2018, 17:26

The Prof wrote:She might be the easiest on the eye but Kirsty Wark and Emily Maitlis have proved themselves very experienced in not taking bullshit from politicians

Emily Maitlis is fucking nuts.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 07 Dec 2018, 21:28

The Modernist wrote:I wonder who the replacement will be?

Just confirmed.

Ho hum.

I presume she'll have to give up the part-time job in Greggs.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 07 Dec 2018, 22:35

Ho ho

yomptepi wrote:
The Prof wrote:She might be the easiest on the eye but Kirsty Wark and Emily Maitlis have proved themselves very experienced in not taking bullshit from politicians

She’s lovely.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 08 Dec 2018, 00:22

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:Ho ho

yomptepi wrote:

She’s lovely.

But she does get the wrong end of the stick and run with it. She is often looking for things that are simply not there. It can be painful to watch.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 13 Dec 2018, 22:45

yomptepi

Re: Dimblebye

Postby yomptepi » 13 Dec 2018, 23:44

Good grief. Does no one have even the faintest clue what is going on? Worst panel ever. Jo Brand looks totally lost. Davis is all at sea. not sure what he thinks. Caroline Lucas is completely confused and doesn't want to offend anyone. Angela Rayner doesn't know what day it is, but still keeps repeating the party line at every opportunity, even when it isn't an answer to question. There is also a muppet puppet. Just terrible.