2018 Midterm Election Thread

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14542
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 08 Nov 2018, 22:09

The thing that would get me would be drinking a litre of PBR in under a minute. Bleurgh!
king of the divan

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16175
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Jimbo » 08 Nov 2018, 22:46

Image

If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal. Emma Goldman

There is real fascism and real suffering and real corruption and a real risk of nuclear war. These are what we should be discussing, not what colour tie the used-car salesman on TV is wearing.


https://off-guardian.org/2018/11/08/mid ... straction/
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

$P.Muff$

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby $P.Muff$ » 08 Nov 2018, 22:49

mentalist (slight return) wrote:The thing that would get me would be drinking a litre of PBR in under a minute. Bleurgh!


Litre?

DENIED!

$P.Muff$

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby $P.Muff$ » 08 Nov 2018, 22:53

Jimbo wrote:If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal. Emma Goldman


I've read Emma Goldman's autobiography. You're no Emma Goldman.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29844
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Nov 2018, 23:53

Oh, it didn't take all of 20 years. I think she wanted to hold on to her Japanese citizenship for a while before giving it up.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16175
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Jimbo » 09 Nov 2018, 03:39



Here's an interesting and lively dissection of the election notable especially how bland the Democratic-side spokesperson is and how handily he is taken down. He makes the point I've heard elsewhere how the now-majority Dems will concentrate on investigating Trump but is clueless especially about how they will handle war and other substantive issues. How important do you think investigating Trump is - as opposed to working for the usual things on the progressive wish list?
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23865
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 Nov 2018, 03:57

What do you imaging the house can achieve on “war and other substantive issues” while both the Senate and The President are held by the opposing party?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16175
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Jimbo » 09 Nov 2018, 04:14

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:What do you imaging the house can achieve on “war and other substantive issues” while both the Senate and The President are held by the opposing party?


Make a stink? Show voters the Democrats stand for something "substantive" so they'll do better in the next election. If the pundits are right and the congressional Democrats do spend all their time investigating Trump - which won't, they say, end up with impeachment - how much more impressed will voters be?

Had they run on these issues instead of "unity," "bipartisanship," a variety of "problems," they'd have done much better, don't you think?
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 12830
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Sneelock » 09 Nov 2018, 07:11

I think the Democratic Party should sit in a corner in a dunce hat with a finger up its nose for all eternity. Serves ‘em right!
Count Machuki wrote:Pues, pasas en una ensalada de papa es un abominación y debemos estar felices!!!

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14542
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 09 Nov 2018, 07:49

$P.Muff$ wrote:
mentalist (slight return) wrote:The thing that would get me would be drinking a litre of PBR in under a minute. Bleurgh!


Litre?

DENIED!


Bleeding yanks and their spelling words how they sound nonsense.
king of the divan

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23865
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 Nov 2018, 09:02

Jimbo wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:What do you imaging the house can achieve on “war and other substantive issues” while both the Senate and The President are held by the opposing party?


Make a stink? Show voters the Democrats stand for something "substantive" so they'll do better in the next election. If the pundits are right and the congressional Democrats do spend all their time investigating Trump - which won't, they say, end up with impeachment - how much more impressed will voters be?

Had they run on these issues instead of "unity," "bipartisanship," a variety of "problems," they'd have done much better, don't you think?


Run on WHICH issues?

Democrats extended healthcare to millions. We fight for a higher minimum wage every time out. We protect workers rights. I could go on and on? What do the Republicans ever do besides give your boss a tax cut and force your wives and daughters closer to the back alley?

I think the Democrats are 100% right to be talking about investigating Trump right now. We’ve had a political party placing him above the law like a king, even as we know that he’s profiting personally off of his position. Oversight is the most important function we can perform right this moment. We can’t pass any legislation, so any promises we make will be empty anyhow. Better to let the next Presidential nominee paint that picture.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23625
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Deebank » 09 Nov 2018, 09:19

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:What do you imaging the house can achieve on “war and other substantive issues” while both the Senate and The President are held by the opposing party?


Make a stink? Show voters the Democrats stand for something "substantive" so they'll do better in the next election. If the pundits are right and the congressional Democrats do spend all their time investigating Trump - which won't, they say, end up with impeachment - how much more impressed will voters be?

Had they run on these issues instead of "unity," "bipartisanship," a variety of "problems," they'd have done much better, don't you think?


Run on WHICH issues?

Democrats extended healthcare to millions. We fight for a higher minimum wage every time out. We protect workers rights. I could go on and on? What do the Republicans ever do besides give your boss a tax cut and force your wives and daughters closer to the back alley?

I think the Democrats are 100% right to be talking about investigating Trump right now. We’ve had a political party placing him above the law like a king, even as we know that he’s profiting personally off of his position. Oversight is the most important function we can perform right this moment. We can’t pass any legislation, so any promises we make will be empty anyhow. Better to let the next Presidential nominee paint that picture.


Even kings aren't above the law - post Magna Carta... in the UK at least.
I thought the whole point of the House is to hold the President (among others) to account... Oversight?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53289
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Nov 2018, 14:04

^^^ It's primarily a legislative body, although it does also provide oversight of the executive branch as well.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23865
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 Nov 2018, 15:50

Our legislative bodies aren’t going to legislate anymore, unless all of them AND the President are under single-party control.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

sloopjohnc
Posts: 63921
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Nov 2018, 16:51

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Our legislative bodies aren’t going to legislate anymore, unless all of them AND the President are under single-party control.


I heard yesterday that a bunch of Republican senators went to McConnell and said they're "out," when it comes to Trump.

I hope so.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 12830
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Sneelock » 09 Nov 2018, 16:55

He does seem to burn bridges the way other people eat three meals a day.
Count Machuki wrote:Pues, pasas en una ensalada de papa es un abominación y debemos estar felices!!!

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43432
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Still Baron » 09 Nov 2018, 17:37

sloopjohnc wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Our legislative bodies aren’t going to legislate anymore, unless all of them AND the President are under single-party control.


I heard yesterday that a bunch of Republican senators went to McConnell and said they're "out," when it comes to Trump.

I hope so.


Me too. There’s been a fair amount of reporting that the Senate Rs are now more beholden to him than ever before. We’ll see. You have to believe most of them hate his guts.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope
Posts: 16159
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 16:36
Location: ,Location, Location

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Corporate whore » 09 Nov 2018, 18:00

$P.Muff$ wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:This is my final prompt to getting citizenship. I can’t live here and not vote.


What do you have left to do till you become official?


Memorise the words to Sweet Home Alabama.
Eat a ‘mess o grits’ (whatever that means)
Shoot the Sherif (but not the deputy)
Turn up late for a war.
Image

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30233
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Nov 2018, 18:06

Corporate whore wrote:
$P.Muff$ wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:This is my final prompt to getting citizenship. I can’t live here and not vote.


What do you have left to do till you become official?


Memorise the words to Sweet Home Alabama.
Eat a ‘mess o grits’ (whatever that means)
Shoot the Sherif (but not the deputy)
Turn up late for a war.



I’ve thrown my dinner knives away and stopped queuing for things. What the fuck else do they want, blood?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23865
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 Nov 2018, 18:22

LeBaron wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Our legislative bodies aren’t going to legislate anymore, unless all of them AND the President are under single-party control.


I heard yesterday that a bunch of Republican senators went to McConnell and said they're "out," when it comes to Trump.

I hope so.


Me too. There’s been a fair amount of reporting that the Senate Rs are now more beholden to him than ever before. We’ll see. You have to believe most of them hate his guts.


It won’t matter in terms of legislation, because they won’t send anything to the house that would matter. We might get some tiny piece of bipartisan flotsam done, but nothing that a progressive would cheer.

Basically Trump and the Senate can confirm judges and start wars. Whee!
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image