Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62507
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jun 2018, 22:04

My son and I got into a huge argument on Friday over the new Facebook commercial.



He insisted all the people in the ad are real Facebook users and I told him that I think they're probably actors, but I wasn't sure. Mainly to save im some face. My son insisted all the clips look like real amateur videos and I said that ad agencies can do that. He was apoplectic that he was right. I said Facebook would have had to include in their Terms & Conditions that they could use a user's likeness for promotional purposes, and probably pay them, but he insisted they were real anyway.

I hate the ad, by the way.

User avatar
The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14661
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby The Red Heifer » 11 Jun 2018, 22:06

There's not even a question in that post!
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

sloopjohnc
Posts: 62507
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jun 2018, 22:11

The Red Heifer wrote:There's not even a question in that post!


Do you think they are actors or actual Facebook users in the commercial?

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32115
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Jun 2018, 22:16

Bring back Markus
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

sloopjohnc
Posts: 62507
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jun 2018, 22:17

Goat Boy wrote:Bring back Markus


:lol:

He finally responded to my Facebook message today. He says he's doing fine.

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14417
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 12 Jun 2018, 02:50

Actors, sorry Sloop's son.
king of the divan

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15067
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby Jimbo » 12 Jun 2018, 03:11

My friend says there is no such thing as a stupid question. There are only stupid people.
Gadfly

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 15382
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby Loki » 13 Jun 2018, 19:33

Goat Boy wrote:Bring back Markus


Image Image
Image

Look up here, I'm in heaven


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46712
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby Quaco » 14 Jun 2018, 01:55

sloopjohnc wrote:I said Facebook would have had to include in their Terms & Conditions that they could use a user's likeness for promotional purposes, and probably pay them, but he insisted they were real anyway.

Facebook does just that. You have to sign away your right to your own likeness when used in FB-type things, such as commercials.

This issue often makes the rounds when people mistakenly believe that FB is claiming to own all your pictures by putting them up on the site -- they post some verbiage saying "I do not give FB the right to own my images..." -- but it seems that this isn't possible, nor what they are trying to do. But they can use your images.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sloopjohnc
Posts: 62507
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Jun 2018, 23:08

Quaco wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I said Facebook would have had to include in their Terms & Conditions that they could use a user's likeness for promotional purposes, and probably pay them, but he insisted they were real anyway.

Facebook does just that. You have to sign away your right to your own likeness when used in FB-type things, such as commercials.


As parts of contracts, I typically have to get a model's release form as part of the contract to pay them. It's SOP. Or if I used someone's photo if I use their photo in a case study.

I was positive Facebook wouldn't forget to include this in the T&Cs. If they had, I'd think they were dummies.

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 15802
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Jun 2018, 23:38

I tried to send a friend request to one of those people in the ad, just for kicks.

While I did find someone by that name, the photo does not match the photo in the ad.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

User avatar
Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad
Posts: 50902
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 16 Jun 2018, 07:22

Jimbo wrote:My friend says there is no such thing as a stupid question. There are only stupid people.


Your friend's a stupid twat then! :x
Apologising for the incitement of racial hatred in modern-Day Britain, Toby wrote:Also, what sort of society do we live in where jokes about religious garb or dress can't be made?


User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15067
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jun 2018, 07:41

Vic Snazell-Sprey wrote:
Jimbo wrote:My friend says there is no such thing as a stupid question. There are only stupid people.


Your friend's a stupid twat then! :x


It's a joke. Why are you so defensive?
Gadfly

User avatar
Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad
Posts: 50902
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 16 Jun 2018, 10:27

I was joking. :(
Apologising for the incitement of racial hatred in modern-Day Britain, Toby wrote:Also, what sort of society do we live in where jokes about religious garb or dress can't be made?


User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15067
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jun 2018, 10:34

Vic Snazell-Sprey wrote:I was joking. :(


See? You are defensive. ;)
Gadfly