Your technology

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Your technology

Postby Toby » 14 Feb 2018, 10:21

Questions about Tech! I write this as we move into the 4th day of no hot water as our boiler has given up the ghost...

What item of technology do you use more than anything else and why?

What has been your most reliable item (or make) of technology in your adult life?

And, conversely, what has been your most unreliable item (not the make, the actual type of tech)?

Do you fear or embrace tech?

What's your most beautiful bit of tech?

Is there any tech that you actively have an interest in, i.e you are looking out for the next model or upgrade etc?

What bit of future tech are you looking forward to (something actually on the horizon like say, electric cars or sex robots rather than, say teleportation devices)?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Your technology

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Feb 2018, 10:47

My Iphone

What has been your most reliable item (or make) of technology in your adult life?

My old ipod until it went kaput, annoyingly on a flight to Berlin so I had no music for the holiday

And, conversely, what has been your most unreliable item (not the make, the actual type of tech)?

I had an HTC phone which was terrible. The touch screen was awful, I hated it and I switched to Apple right afterwards

I don’t fear it but I don’t embrace it at all. I’m being quite badly left behind already. The lass even jokes about it. My hi fi is the same one I’ve owned since I was 19. My telly cost about 130 quid and it’s rubbish. It’s not even a smart one. I have nothing else in my flat bar a DVD player (yip, I don’t even have blu ray yet). I don’t even stream or download films. Last year I connected my laptop to my telly so I could watch movies on youtube on a bigger screen and I was inordinately chuffed. I mentioned this to a mates 15 year old son and he laughed his arse off.

I do plan on rectifying this though but money isn’t plentiful and I still need to finish my flat and pay for a holiday in Iceland this year. Once all that’s over I am going to invest however. I’ll upgrade my whole hi fi system and move to wifi. I may get some other stuff like a brand new telly but I’m not that fussed about other gear. My interests are pretty basic. I never read the Technology section of the Guardian, put it that way.

I dunno, I like the design of my Sennheiser headphones

Is there any tech that you actively have an interest in, i.e you are looking out for the next model or upgrade etc?

I plan on buying a lens for the SLR camera I bought 5 years ago but didn't get round to buying an actual lens for.

What bit of future tech are you looking forward to (something actually on the horizon like say, electric cars or sex robots rather than, say teleportation devices)?

I’d be happy with a brand new telly ffs
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 14 Feb 2018, 11:14

Without doubt my Nexus 6 phone. It's the first smartphone I've had where I've not had the wish to upgrade when my contract ran out. I hope to god that it won't deteriorate too much in terms of battery life over the next couple of years, because I really don't want to have to buy a new phone again for a while. Being able to watch footy (via Sky or BT Sport) on my phone whilst reading (whilst my wife watches something on TV) is a godsend I can tell you, just like being able to reserve books at my library, look at our accounts, upload something to Google Drives. No wonder I spend so much time on it because smartphones are genuinely amazing.

Probably my Sennheiser HD25 headphones. I've had the same pair for nearly 20 years or so, but various parts have been replaced over the years. They're robust, loud enough for DJing and I can see them lasting as long as I can get the parts. That, and my Macbook Pro - I've had two in just over 15 years.

I hated Walkmans, especially the fancy ones that were really small, around the mid-90's. They chewed tapes, fell apart and lasted around a year or so. I embraced Mini-discs, but the later iterations that didn't have the disc inserted (like a disc drive) were just as bad. More recently, I can't really think of anything that has been terrible, perhaps apart from our car (a Honda Civic), which consistently fails its MOT.

I'm more ambivalent about it than I was. To a certain extent I was prone to being a sucker for new stuff when I was younger, like when digital cameras came out and suddenly you had to have one. Things like Alexa for example are a bit of a joke unless you really want your house hooked up to the internet (which I don't). I'm much more wary of "new" being "good" now. If some paradigm-shifting tech came out, I'd wait for a few years until prices came down to a reasonable level (which inevitably they always do) rather than thinking "oh I've got to get that". In terms of fearing it, I worry about Ai, Big data and the sheer speed of how things travel about. I think we are, to a certain extent, moving faster without sitting down and discussing the consequences of it. For example, drone tech seems to be potentially invasive for privacy but the laws about it are quite blurry at the moment.

Nothing I can think of. I find them all ugly. TVs have no objective beauty to them at all - the day we can have a big one disappear at the push of a button is the day I'll rejoice. They swallow up rooms.

I'm interested in streamers because I think the chance of being able to afford a nice hifi with separates has disappeared.

An Electric Car for sure, but I'm not quite sure how its impact will play out.

CAN
hounds people off the board

Postby CAN » 14 Feb 2018, 11:19

Toby wrote:What's your most beautiful bit of tech?

Nothing I can think of. I find them all ugly. TVs have no objective beauty to them at all

Nonsense!
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 14 Feb 2018, 11:20

OCT wrote:
Nonsense!

Go on then, show me a lovely TV.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 14 Feb 2018, 11:22

Questions about Tech! I

My desk top computer.

This computer, a MacMini. (MiniMac?) It's too old to update. (Damn you Apple!) But it's almost 10 years old and it freezes and slows down to a crawl but if I restart it once or twice a session it usually sorts itself out for YouTubing and BCBing.

Ear buds.

I fear buying a new computer and setting it up to be as I like it, to have the same mess on it that I have here. And I can't uses a smartphone. I don't own one. I have a free flip phone from the carrier and I only know how to call my wife.

My Sony Headphones. We also have an Panasonic compost maker where we chuck all the peels, coffee grounds and other organic waste and it turns to soil overnight.

A Tesla Model 3 or maybe an electric assisted bicycle.

A hybrid pencil sharpener.
Gadfly

CAN

Postby CAN » 14 Feb 2018, 12:07

Toby wrote:
OCT wrote:
Nonsense!

Go on then, show me a lovely TV.

I'm not going to convert you, am I?

But I like those huge, modern TVs with thin frames, it's all minimalism innit? 'black mirror'? LUV IT

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 14 Feb 2018, 12:10

They're very functional solutions I guess, but there's no aesthetic appeal there surely?

CAN

Postby CAN » 14 Feb 2018, 12:17

Not for someone like you, no!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 14 Feb 2018, 12:24

OCT wrote:
But I like those huge, modern TVs with thin frames, it's all minimalism innit? 'black mirror'? LUV IT

The only thing that I can think of is that their thinness allows you to put them on shelves (which we do). But otherwise they're this obscene monolith that sucks up the attention of any room they're put in.

CAN

Postby CAN » 14 Feb 2018, 12:28

Yeah yeah

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Feb 2018, 12:30

I bet Toby actually has his telly in a cupboard so he can close the door and pretend he doesn't own one when the neighbours come round.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

CAN

Postby CAN » 14 Feb 2018, 12:33

:)

"yes we have this THING (vomits) but we only get it out when Andrew Graham Dixon is on"

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 14 Feb 2018, 12:34

Toby wrote:
OCT wrote:

The only thing that I can think of is that their thinness allows you to put them on shelves (which we do). But otherwise they're this obscene monolith that sucks up the attention of any room they're put in.

Now there are these tiny cube projectors that make a produce damn good and large video image on your wall.
Gadfly

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 14 Feb 2018, 13:03

Goat Boy wrote:I bet Toby actually has his telly in a cupboard so he can close the door and pretend he doesn't own one when the neighbours come round.

If we could, I would.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 14 Feb 2018, 13:04

OCT wrote::)

"yes we have this THING (vomits) but we only get it out when Andrew Graham Dixon is on"

:lol: :oops:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Feb 2018, 13:05

I fucking knew it. That's a millions times worse than being a Conservative!

CAN

Postby CAN » 14 Feb 2018, 13:07

:lol:

NMB

Postby NMB » 14 Feb 2018, 13:12

Electric light bulbs? But you probably mean something more like my iPad which gets used everybody for internet and the addictive game Bejeweled.

My Phillips (?) CD player hasn't given me a single problem in 30 years. And it's been used a lot.

Laptops never last as long as I feel they ought to.

Neither fear nor embrace but I wish there wasn't the constant drive to update everything every five minutes.

I still think my iPod is pretty stylish.

I'm looking out for a new high capacity MP3 player on the assumption that my Ipod 80 will pack up at some point. But things seemed to be geared more at streaming which I DO NOT WANT.

Robot dogs that can open doors.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Feb 2018, 13:19

Work laptop, it's a bit of a beast, and I use it for personal use too. With no italics or inverted commas around the term personal use.

I guess my amp has never let me down yet. Kettles and irons are shit though, aren't they?

CD walkman thing, that was a crap idea, and really didn't last long. My last MP3 player wasn't resilient enough to washing machines, either.

Ignore it generally, if I can.

Does a watch count as tech? It uses a battery.

Nope

Nope.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.