Harvey Weinstein in trouble

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Charlie O.

Re: Harvey Weinstein in trouble

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Oct 2017, 16:15

Fashion designer Donna Karan has come to the defence of film producer Harvey Weinstein by praising the movie mogul and saying women who dress sensually are asking for trouble. ...

Karan said women must consider if the way they dress suggests they are “asking for it”.

“I think we have to look at ourselves,” she said on the red carpet at the CinéFashion film awards in Los Angeles.

“Obviously, the treatment of women all over the world is something that has always had to be identified. Certainly in the country of Haiti where I work, in Africa, in the developing world, it’s been a hard time for women.

“I also think how do we display ourselves? How do we present ourselves as women? What are we asking? Are we asking for it by presenting all the sensuality and all the sexuality?”

Karan said women who dressed provocatively were asking for trouble.

“You look at everything all over the world today and how women are dressing and what they are asking by just presenting themselves the way they do. What are they asking for? Trouble.” ...

Karan’s comments were seized on by Rose McGowan, one of Weinstein’s accusers, who called the designer “scum in a fancy dress”.

Unbelievable.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/donna-karan-defends-harvey-weinstein-are-women-asking-for-it/ar-AAteEIS?li=AA5a2k

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 12 Oct 2017, 16:47

Charlie O. wrote:
Fashion designer Donna Karan has come to the defence of film producer Harvey Weinstein by praising the movie mogul and saying women who dress sensually are asking for trouble. ...

Karan said women must consider if the way they dress suggests they are “asking for it”.

“I think we have to look at ourselves,” she said on the red carpet at the CinéFashion film awards in Los Angeles.

“Obviously, the treatment of women all over the world is something that has always had to be identified. Certainly in the country of Haiti where I work, in Africa, in the developing world, it’s been a hard time for women.

“I also think how do we display ourselves? How do we present ourselves as women? What are we asking? Are we asking for it by presenting all the sensuality and all the sexuality?”

Karan said women who dressed provocatively were asking for trouble.

“You look at everything all over the world today and how women are dressing and what they are asking by just presenting themselves the way they do. What are they asking for? Trouble.” ...

Karan’s comments were seized on by Rose McGowan, one of Weinstein’s accusers, who called the designer “scum in a fancy dress”.

Unbelievable.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/donna-karan-defends-harvey-weinstein-are-women-asking-for-it/ar-AAteEIS?li=AA5a2k

She recanted these statements in a subsequent statement (of dubious trustworthiness). Apparently, she "made a statement that was not representative of how I feel or what I believe," for some reason. :roll:
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Oct 2017, 17:02

The social media implosion around this is extraordinary.
Bourdain tweets in support of his girlfriend. Increasingly angry. Hillary makes a statement about Weinstein's behaviour. Bourdain tweets about how disappointed he is in her lacklustre tweet. Bourdain receives angry tweets from women asking why he is singling out a woman who wasn't responsible for the abuse and that he is betraying his 'expectations of women' streak.
You shouldn't ever read the comments, I know.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 12 Oct 2017, 17:08

Bourdain hit the roof because whatserface's Twitter account was blocked, no? that was the last thing I saw.

I agree, the fuss is insane.
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Oct 2017, 18:35

Twitter suspended Weinstein accuser, Rose McGowan, for a day.

With all the trolls on Twitter, this seems kinda dickish.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Oct 2017, 19:11

Snarfyguy wrote:She recanted these statements in a subsequent statement (of dubious trustworthiness). Apparently, she "made a statement that was not representative of how I feel or what I believe," for some reason. :roll:

"Look at the way these women dress, tut tut... oh yeah, I'm a fashion designer, never mind." Whoops, there goes another rubber tree plant.

"Quite."

Nick

Postby Nick » 12 Oct 2017, 19:46

bee-eating feminist says you're late wrote:The social media implosion around this is extraordinary.

Trial by social media. Whether he is guilty or not, it's becoming a witch hunt, and not just for Weinstein himself.

Radio 4 were reporting earlier that police on both sides of the Atlantic are looking into the allegations against Weinstein. If he is prosecuted, you wonder how much scope the online furore would give a competent defence lawyer in terms of arguing that his client can't now receive a fair trial.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 12 Oct 2017, 21:04

I think a lot of people are shining their spotlights NOW to make up for wearing blinders THEN.

In Rose McGowan's defense - she's been trying to nail that guy for YEARS! I don't blame her for getting a little slap happy. I mean, if her claims of being ostracized for trying to nail him are correct then it makes sense she would want to be involved in the media shit storm. it must feel like she's being vindicated one way or the other.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Oct 2017, 22:07

zoomboogity wrote:And now his wife is leaving him. Jeez, if these two krazy kidz can't make it work out, what hope is there for the rest of us?

London-born Chapman, 41, is not just considering her two young children, but the brand, Marchesa, that she built. (The first story of the harassment was released on the same day of Marchesa’s fall 2018 bridal show.)

“People who work at Marchesa know that if she didn’t leave him Marchesa would be done, what stars would wear the dresses if there was any connection to Harvey?” a fashion insider shares with PEOPLE.

“She was totally in love with him when they met and the relationship was very authentic,” the insider continues. “But I’m sure it played in her mind heavily that she had to save the label. Fashion is a tough business and Marchesa has never been rolling in money.”

They seem like a very nice couple.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/inside-harvey-weinstein-and-georgina-chapman%E2%80%99s-marriage-and-split-why-she-once-called-him-%E2%80%98warm-and-brilliant%E2%80%99/ar-AAtiVzj

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Oct 2017, 22:18

Yeah, imagine her surprise to find out this has been going on all this time... maybe even right in front of her. That's show biz.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Oct 2017, 22:48

zoomboogity wrote:Yeah, imagine her surprise to find out this has been going on all this time... maybe even right in front of her. That's show biz.

Are you suggesting that he sexually assaulted women in front of his wife and she didn't do anything?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Oct 2017, 00:01

bee-eating feminist says you're late wrote:Are you suggesting that he sexually assaulted women in front of his wife and she didn't do anything?

I would suspect that she might have heard something about the pay-offs, at least.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 13 Oct 2017, 02:14

bee-eating feminist says you're late wrote:Are you suggesting that he sexually assaulted women in front of his wife and she didn't do anything?

No, not quite. EDIT: I reread what I wrote, and i'd forgotten what I meant. I meant that although she was aware of his proclivities (or should have been), a lot of his transgressions went on right in front of her, yet she somehow never noticed, just as his own company never noticed and are "shocked" and "dismayed" at the news coming out.

But now that you ask, it certainly isn't outside the realm of comprehension that he did his share of unwelcome groping in front of her, and she did nothing. If he did it for decades, why wouldn't he do it in front of her? That's how emboldened he was, thanks to his position in the industry and the enforced silence within the industry, especially given that other Hollywood executives felt free to behave in the same manner. She sure doesn't seem interested in "standing by her man" right now and giving him the benefit of the doubt.

And he's not the only Hollywood mogul who felt safe doing this. The decades of enforced silence wasn't just to protect Weinstein, this started long before he came along. And it wasn't always behind closed doors, sometimes it was out in full view, as noted in the article below. This reprehensible behavior has been going on in Hollywood for over 100 years, I just find it strange that it's suddenly become the "hot topic" in the news. Who knows where this will lead - a full-blown investigation with Hollywood moguls doing time in prison, or everyone's eyebrows going up and down for a week or two before some other shiny object takes everyone's attention away and the whole thing gets shuffled away? The media will protect itself as best it can. At least it will try - Weinstein seems like the sort of person who won't go down alone. His own brother describes him as a "very sick man," he would certainly know better than I.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop ... lt-n809791

Crews, a 6-foot-2-inch, 240-pound former body guard, sent out a series of tweets on Tuesday, explaining that no one is immune from sexual harassment and assault.

“This whole thing with Harvey Weinstein is giving me PTSD. Why? Because this kind of thing happened to ME,” Crews wrote in the first of 16 tweets.

Crews explained that in 2016, he and his wife were at a Hollywood function when an executive came over and groped him.

“Jumping back I said What are you doing?! My wife saw everything n [sic] we looked at him like he was crazy. He just grinned like a jerk,” Crews wrote.

The “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” star said he wanted to have a physical altercation with the executive, but worried about the optics of a fight.

“'240 lbs. Black Man stomps out Hollywood Honcho' would be the headline the next day,” Crews wrote. “Only I probably wouldn’t have been able to read it because I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN JAIL. So we left.”

Crews explained that eventually the executive called him to apologize, adding that he never pressed charges out of fear of being ostracized in Hollywood.

“I decided not 2 [sic] take it further becuz [sic] I didn’t want 2b [sic] ostracized— par 4 [sic] the course when the predator has power n [sic] influence. I let it go. And I understand why many women who this happens to let it go,” Crews tweeted.

Crews added that he believed few people believe victims, who would face a host of repercussions and possibly lose their ability to work.

“I understand and empathize with those who have remained silent. But Harvey Weinstein is not the only perpetrator. Hollywood is not the only business we’re [sic] this happens, and to the casualties of this behavior— you are not alone,” Crews wrote. “Hopefully, me coming forward with my story will deter a predator and encourage someone who feels hopeless.”
Last edited by zoomboogity on 13 Oct 2017, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 13 Oct 2017, 03:27

I should also note that it's not only the producers doing this. I know a few people in that industry - writers and editors mostly, nobody famous - who have told me a few horror stories involving the parents of child actors. So there's plenty of blame and shame to go around. This stuff hasn't been happening in a vacuum.

It wouldn't surprise me if Weinstein and his wife mutually agreed to end their marriage so she gets half their money in the divorce and they can keep it in the family while everyone goes after him. There will be plenty of lawsuits flying around, and her money won't be touched. So who knows, maybe she is standing by him after all.

Nick

Postby Nick » 13 Oct 2017, 09:07

Crews, a 6-foot-2-inch, 240-pound former body guard, sent out a series of tweets on Tuesday, explaining that no one is immune from sexual harassment and assault.

“This whole thing with Harvey Weinstein is giving me PTSD. Why? Because this kind of thing happened to ME,” Crews wrote in the first of 16 tweets.

This is off subject a bit, but I read that the other day, and his reference to PTSD bothered me. PTSD is an anxiety disorder suffered by people who have undergone very traumatic experiences. While I understand that a drunk creep groping your crotch at a party is an unpleasant experience, and in no way acceptable behaviour, it seems a bit over the top.

Fair play to him for speaking out though.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 13 Oct 2017, 09:17

zoomboogity wrote:I should also note that it's not only the producers doing this. I know a few people in that industry - writers and editors mostly, nobody famous - who have told me a few horror stories involving the parents of child actors. So there's plenty of blame and shame to go around. This stuff hasn't been happening in a vacuum.

It wouldn't surprise me if Weinstein and his wife mutually agreed to end their marriage so she gets half their money in the divorce and they can keep it in the family while everyone goes after him. There will be plenty of lawsuits flying around, and her money won't be touched.

Hmm....yeah. That would make sense.

'a mistake' - I can't get over that. Years of reprehensible behaviour, possibly symptomatic of mental illness, and he still sees it as a 'mistake'.
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 13 Oct 2017, 09:20

Nick wrote:it seems a bit over the top.

Perhaps it wasn't the first time something like that happened to him, and not necessarily when he was a working actor or even an adult. Just a guess. Would it seem any less over the top had this nameless executive done the same thing to a woman? Or been a woman, doing it to either a woman or man?

ooooooohhhhh yeah wrote:'a mistake' - I can't get over that. Years of reprehensible behaviour, possibly symptomatic of mental illness, and he still sees it as a 'mistake'.

Sounds pretty sociopathic - "a mistake" made by other people in letting him get outed. Like I said, if he goes down, he's taking people with him. After all, he did nothing wrong. They OWE him for this.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Oct 2017, 15:22

I have a feeling this might turn out like the Jimmy Saville thread.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Oct 2017, 16:32

pcqgod wrote:I have a feeling this might turn out like the Jimmy Saville thread.

Might?
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Oct 2017, 16:35

And now the head of Amazon entertainment has been suspended.