Re: Rebellious Arcade

Postby driftin » 05 Jul 2017, 15:20

algroth wrote:

Pogchamp!

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 06 Jul 2017, 07:52

PENK wrote:I'm waiting for the new Mass Effect, as others on the thread have said. The first three were fantastic. That's definitely one I expect to last the course with.

I just finished this last night. What did other people make of it?

For a game with so much expectation riding on it, the response was lukewarm to say the least, and many of the common criticisms rang true: it borrowed too much of its premise from the earlier games (ancient races and technology, races being assimilated, etc); the characters weren't as strong or memorable as the crew in earlier games, although perhaps they would grow stronger over a sequel or two; some of the graphics and animations needed more work; there were only two new alien races, and not enough variety with the new planets; and there were too many pointless side missions. And some story aspects didn't really hold up: they've only been in Andromeda a year, only a small portion of colonists have been woken from stasis, and only some of those participated in the mutiny... so why is the galaxy suddenly full of criminal outcasts? And why is there so much fanfare about my making contact with the aliens when I then find that the outcasts have been hanging around with them for ages?

Yet I did enjoy the game overall. Despite being reminiscent of the earlier games in the series, the story did really draw me in once it got going and there were enough different aspects to it, while the general gameplay was fun: the combat was improved and tougher battles could feel genuinely tense and frantic. There were some very imaginative setpieces although I thought that it got a little dull spending so much time driving round the same five or six planets doing small quests: I preferred the original series' use of shorter quests across more locations. What did work, though, was that it didn't take me long to sift through the side quests and figure out which ones needed doing and which I could safely skip over or just do if I happened to be in the area. And towards the end there were some great setpieces: the final missions were a big plus.
Of the characters and crew, it's true that they weren't as strong as the original Mass Effect crew but Jaal was great and I liked Ryder's own story arc.

It looks like plans for DLC have been shelved which means some loose ends will be left hanging, especially if the rumours that a sequel won't materialise also prove true. I think that'd be a shame, as Andromeda reminds me in fact of the first Mass Effect game: a messy but enjoyable game that had plenty of potential for tidying and sharpening into a dynamite follow-up.

Anyway, three months is great going for me with a game like this. Next up I'll be having a go at Prey. A cross between Dishonored and Dead Space sounds like a perfect game for me.
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

algroth

Postby algroth » 06 Jul 2017, 18:45

PENK wrote:Anyway, three months is great going for me with a game like this. Next up I'll be having a go at Prey. A cross between Dishonored and Dead Space sounds like a perfect game for me.

I heard lukewarm things about Prey, though personally I had some hopes for it being that it was at least partly penned by Chris Avellone (of Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity fame for example). Hope to hear your thoughts on it!

I have yet to play any of the games in the Mass Effect saga but I'll hopefully be getting to them soon. The only one I'm sure played through the game told me it was actually not as bad as most were saying - being that I often agree with him I'm mildly curious.

algroth

Postby algroth » 07 Jul 2017, 17:37

For anyone who wants to tune in for the transmission, you can do so on July 15th at http://twitch.tv/rbdriftin!

Image Image Image

algroth

Postby algroth » 09 Jul 2017, 16:35

WG Kaspar wrote:I'll wait till you finish it. I have my own opinions on this.

I finished it a while back but got kinda stuck while trying to write my review for it. Kinda hit a writer's block and so on. So, some general thoughts on the game: I thought it was very good, it hit all the right points in terms of broad strokes and had a fascinating setting. There is some alternate reality where I could have seen this being better than Pillars of Eternity as well... Unfortunately where it mostly lets me down, especially when compared to its predecessor, is on the finer details or lack thereof. By finer details I mean the kind of choices you are given to solve each conflict, or the way a certain town or person responds to your actions through the game: especially in a game that has you complete tasks as monumental as this one does, you kinda wish more people would comment or react to these facts. Your companions do, as do the main characters in the story, but as for the villagers affected in each Tier by your choices, they have little to say, offer or *do* following the completion or that certain quest: it's like the developers assumed right away that the player would just barrel through the game and never look back at the places they visited before, to see how they'd changed. A case in point is a small fort in Stalwart which you are tasked with either defending or taking down depending on the path you've selected - after resolving the act you can return to the fort, only to see the characters in it huddled up the same way they were before the final portion of the task, speaking as if that final portion had not occured. This 'bug' occured time and time again in my experience.

More frustrating than these, though, are the way some events force you into sub-optimal choices or outright *bad* choices not out of pressure from the scene itself but from the lack of a better choice amidst the options you are given. It frustrated me to no end that as a rebel I was unable to talk the Bronze Brotherhood and Forge-Bound into cooperating with one another just because one insulted the other at a fairly deserved time, or that I was *forced* into accepting Radix's plan to blight the lands permanently during the Disfavoured path - a *plan*, mind you, not a necessity - simply because I was never given an option to disagree with it. Situations like this strike me simply as bad interactive storytelling, because all of a sudden very optional or choice-driven elements are railroaded for the sake of convenience: of course there needs to come a time where you show the Disfavoured as evil and bluntly show the player that siding with them was *not* to side with good, but if so this is a situation where you should not be asked for permission the way you are in the game: more satisfying would have been for them to simply tell you what they were going to do by way of "informing" you, before or after the fact, and with no required input from your behalf - it's something they'll do regardless of your attempts to stop it. Which leads me to my other big gripe regarding the lack of choice, which is as follows: we're sent into this conflict as a representative of Tunon, a.k.a. 'law', and yet very rarely are we given the chance to act out as a representative of Tunon, with the law's interests in mind first and foremost. I'm disappointed that regardless of the side we take, we are essentially forced to respond to the interests of another party and never to what we were originally brought to do. For a game where we're supposed to act as a mediator and investigator between several groups, there's really very little diplomacy or mediation to do - we must always act in the best interests of one of two or more sides, and that sits wrongly with me.

Despite my criticisms I did overall enjoy it greatly, I found the characters were all very interesing and well-rounded, I thought that as an examination on evil and as something of a videogame version of the Milgram experiment it was wonderful, and I thought many little touches with regards to the setting and lore made it as a whole much more affecting than simply your "standard fantasy setting", so to speak. I highly recommend this video on the game, by the way:

teenageriot-1

Postby teenageriot-1 » 17 Aug 2017, 05:00

When we were staining the floor, one of my roommates couldn't get to his room so I let him chill in mine for a while. He took out my Gamecube and started playing Resident Evil 4. I went in to grab something and got stuck watching him play for like 10 minutes. It took me back to high school when I first played it and caught the bug. I played the hell out of this game back then. So I went to buy it last week now that I have all this free time. It's funny, I started the game with a sense of confidence as if I was gonna breeze right through it but it tricked me. I forgot how beautifully crafted this game is. I still found myself running low on ammo and first aid spray many times. It also didn't help that I kept playing with the lights off to create an ambience, I'll admit that it made me jump once or twice. But a great experience, I'll pop in this game any day. Just finished Operation Ada, never played Separate Ways as it was a PS2 exclusive so I'm excited for that.
"I'm always happy. I'm my mother's daughter!" - Jamie Buchman

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 17 Aug 2017, 10:29

My daughter has just got a gaming computer so I will doubtless post more often in this thread. Previously my computer had difficulty running slither.io so no serious gaming could occur off-console and I could never get on the PS4 to play because the spouse or tween were on there. Now that she has her own gaming computer the PS4 is free most of the time so I should be able to play games again.

I haven't been able to play seriously in almost a decade. What do folks recommend these days?
I'm a big fan of indie stuff, open world RPG's, dungeon crawlers, adventure platformers, puzzle games and dating sims and smutty visual novels. I can play over steam or off the optical drive on the kids computer, on the vita, ps4, ps3, xbox 360 and nintendo 3ds. Thematically I like cutesy stuff, gothy stuff, punk stuff, post apocalyptic stuff, fantasy, sci-fi, and horror.

My favorite games in the past have been - A Boy and his Blob, American McGee's Alice, Angband, Animal Crossing, Auto Duel, Baldur's Gate, Bard's Tale, Battleblock Theater, Braid, Bully, Castle Crashers, Chrono Trigger, Costume Quest, Culdcept, Diablo, Earthbound, Elite, Fallout, Harvest Moon, Katamari Damacy, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Kid Icarus, The Maw, Might and Magic, M.U.L.E., Mushroom 11, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Odyssey: The Compleat Adventure, Ōkage, Ōkami, Phantasy Star, Planescape: Torment, Princess Maker, Psychonauts, Red Dead Redemption, Sanitarium, Sly Cooper, Skyrim, Solomon's Key, Telengard, Ultima V, Wasteland...
--m.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 19 Aug 2017, 19:17

We'll I've gone old school.
Sonic Mania - available on PS4 but like playing on a Megadrive

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 12 Sep 2017, 12:19

Bought a PS4 the other day - my first console purchase in a deacde. Mostly just to play FIFA but I also picked up Metal gear solid 5 and am enjoying this nearly 15 years on from the last one I played - 2 I think.

algroth

Postby algroth » 12 Sep 2017, 12:47

martha wrote:My daughter has just got a gaming computer so I will doubtless post more often in this thread. Previously my computer had difficulty running slither.io so no serious gaming could occur off-console and I could never get on the PS4 to play because the spouse or tween were on there. Now that she has her own gaming computer the PS4 is free most of the time so I should be able to play games again.

I haven't been able to play seriously in almost a decade. What do folks recommend these days?
I'm a big fan of indie stuff, open world RPG's, dungeon crawlers, adventure platformers, puzzle games and dating sims and smutty visual novels. I can play over steam or off the optical drive on the kids computer, on the vita, ps4, ps3, xbox 360 and nintendo 3ds. Thematically I like cutesy stuff, gothy stuff, punk stuff, post apocalyptic stuff, fantasy, sci-fi, and horror.

My favorite games in the past have been - A Boy and his Blob, American McGee's Alice, Angband, Animal Crossing, Auto Duel, Baldur's Gate, Bard's Tale, Battleblock Theater, Braid, Bully, Castle Crashers, Chrono Trigger, Costume Quest, Culdcept, Diablo, Earthbound, Elite, Fallout, Harvest Moon, Katamari Damacy, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Kid Icarus, The Maw, Might and Magic, M.U.L.E., Mushroom 11, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Odyssey: The Compleat Adventure, Ōkage, Ōkami, Phantasy Star, Planescape: Torment, Princess Maker, Psychonauts, Red Dead Redemption, Sanitarium, Sly Cooper, Skyrim, Solomon's Key, Telengard, Ultima V, Wasteland...

A bit slow on replying here, sorry, but seeing that you like the iso-RPGs by Black Isle, tried Pillars of Eternity yet? It's one of the projects that started off this iso-RPG revival that is going on right now.

driftin

Postby driftin » 12 Sep 2017, 12:53

martha wrote:I haven't been able to play seriously in almost a decade. What do folks recommend these days?

I recommend all of these for the PS3 and PS4:
Action RPGs / Dungeon Crawlers: Bloodborne, NieR: Automata, Dark Souls I, Dark Souls III, Demon's Souls, Salt & Sanctuary, The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh, Child of Light (free this month on PS Plus)
Puzzle: The Witness, Portal, Portal 2, Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Platformer: Inside, Limbo, LittleBigPlanet 1-3

driftin

Postby driftin » 12 Sep 2017, 12:56

Clyde Gash wrote:We'll I've gone old school.
Sonic Mania - available on PS4 but like playing on a Megadrive

Sonia Mania is brilliant. Not only a great throwback but also an extremely fun platformer that holds up very solidly today.

driftin

Postby driftin » 12 Sep 2017, 13:03

Games I've been playing recently:

Save me from this game...

Amazing indie puzzle adventure game about the First World War.

Awesome.

Wonderful little platformer that's also a creative typography history lesson.

Utterly brilliant horror adventure that's uncompromising and overwhelming in every way.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Sep 2017, 14:06

driftin wrote:Games I've been playing recently:

Yeah, I've played that a lot more than Tom has, I must admit I'm quite hooked. I rarely play the competitive mode because I can't be doing with properly co-operative play, headsets and all that. But I do like the Mystery Heroes and Total Mayhem variations.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

driftin

Postby driftin » 13 Sep 2017, 03:56

Darkness_Fish wrote:
driftin wrote:Games I've been playing recently:

Yeah, I've played that a lot more than Tom has, I must admit I'm quite hooked. I rarely play the competitive mode because I can't be doing with properly co-operative play, headsets and all that. But I do like the Mystery Heroes and Total Mayhem variations.

Competitive is where the true game lies but it's also where a lot of crying happens. I almost made it to diamond (2950ish) then lost 200SR on a massive losing streak. After that I decided no more comp for a while and stuck with quickplay until I realised that a lot of people are now exploiting an unfixed bug which allows them to get outside the map.

Competitive is also a lot better if you make friends and party up with them*. I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of gaming friends that I've known long before Overwatch was released and we play it often but I know a lot of them are sick of the game right now, especially with its current meta. Hopefully the new map and changes to D Va and Mercy next week will bring 'em back, if only temporarily.

I hate Mystery Heroes as it takes away the ability to counter but total mayhem's a blast.

edit

*except when the skill gap across your friends ranges from bronze to master, then it's either impossible or very inconsistent. I'm high plat and mostly play with a mid to low gold and that means she's often up against people that are a lot better which makes it more difficult for everyone else.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Sep 2017, 08:55

driftin wrote:
I hate Mystery Heroes as it takes away the ability to counter but total mayhem's a blast.

Yeah, I know it makes it difficult to stop the Bastion sat on the payload thing, but it means I get to play as someone other than Soldier 76, Genji, Roadhog, Sombra or Zenyatta. If I'm playing properly, I always end up reverting to them when things are going badly.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

driftin

Postby driftin » 13 Sep 2017, 15:30

Darkness_Fish wrote:
driftin wrote:

Yeah, I know it makes it difficult to stop the Bastion sat on the payload thing, but it means I get to play as someone other than Soldier 76, Genji, Roadhog, Sombra or Zenyatta. If I'm playing properly, I always end up reverting to them when things are going badly.

Sombra? Impressive! She's one of the hardest heroes to play, both mechanically and in terms of coordinating with your team. Getting hacks and charging your ult is relatively easy, having your team follow them up is another matter.

Soldier: 76, D Va, Winston, Zenyatta, and Lucio are my go-to heroes whenever I'm in competitive. I'm always thankful whenever those roles are taken as it means I can play something I want to play like Junkrat (who is absolutely amazing right now thanks to his second mine) or McCree.

algroth

Postby algroth » 14 Sep 2017, 16:09

driftin wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:
driftin wrote:

Sombra? Impressive! She's one of the hardest heroes to play, both mechanically and in terms of coordinating with your team. Getting hacks and charging your ult is relatively easy, having your team follow them up is another matter.

Soldier: 76, D Va, Winston, Zenyatta, and Lucio are my go-to heroes whenever I'm in competitive. I'm always thankful whenever those roles are taken as it means I can play something I want to play like Junkrat (who is absolutely amazing right now thanks to his second mine) or McCree.

You guys know the game better than I do, but I reckon a pretty good use of Sombra's ult is as a disengage or counter-engage too: hack them as the enemy commits into a teamfight, thus stopping their primary damage/engage tools while your team is already locked in confrontation with the enemy. Or quite simply as a denial - stop Mercy's rez or whatnot.

driftin

Postby driftin » 15 Sep 2017, 07:43

algroth wrote:
driftin wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Yeah, I know it makes it difficult to stop the Bastion sat on the payload thing, but it means I get to play as someone other than Soldier 76, Genji, Roadhog, Sombra or Zenyatta. If I'm playing properly, I always end up reverting to them when things are going badly.

You guys know the game better than I do, but I reckon a pretty good use of Sombra's ult is as a disengage or counter-engage too: hack them as the enemy commits into a teamfight, thus stopping their primary damage/engage tools while your team is already locked in confrontation with the enemy. Or quite simply as a denial - stop Mercy's rez or whatnot.

Yes, that's pretty much what you're supposed to do but mechanically she is one of the more difficult heroes to play because of timing, positioning, ult and cooldown economy, a small health pool etc. To make things even harder is coordinating with your team, especially if you're solo-queuing as Fish does. That's why I was saying it's impressive to pick Sombra as your go-to carry hero.