Former President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Aug 2017, 21:14

The one person who's been unbelievably dignified and articulate during the last week is Heather Heyer's mother. She had some incredible things to say today at her daughter's memorial.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Aug 2017, 21:18

Count Machuki wrote:Baltimore up and removed a bunch of Confederate statues without notice last night.
God bless Charm City

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html

It took them until last weekend. I don't know how blessed I'd feel, unless you're being sarcastic.

California still celebrates its missions and it makes me angry after you learn about what the priests and soldiers did to local indigenous people and how much the population was decimated in just a few years.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Aug 2017, 21:30

mission wrote:I don't know if this has been posted but if there are any lingering freedom of speech doubts, or concerns about the activities of the counterprotestors, watch this and try not to weep.

With rage.

That main subject is a bigmouth, ignorant asshole. How come the biggest ignoramuses have the biggest mouths?

Is it genetic oxymoronicism?

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 16 Aug 2017, 23:23

I'm missing the Mooch. His wise words are needed at a time like this.
king of the divan

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 17 Aug 2017, 04:56

pcqgod wrote:The Daily Show tweeted "Today Trump has become President of the Confederacy."

lol.

next up: trump proudly announces that his face will be printed on confederate money.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 17 Aug 2017, 05:04

sloopjohnc wrote:The one person who's been unbelievably dignified and articulate during the last week is Heather Heyer's mother. She had some incredible things to say today at her daughter's memorial.

indeed. so moving.

i loved what her father said as well, although he got simple about it all. he couldn't understand~~and he clearly couldn't~~why people couldn't just love each other.

it's a good question. from a man who had his daughter killed by a violent, crazy, neo-nazi fucque.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 17 Aug 2017, 06:35

Sickest burn of the night. Ana Marie Cox talking about Heather Hyer's funeral:

"I'm glad he didn't show up and try to give a eulogy. Nobody there needed to hear about his electoral college win."

Mind you...she wasn't joking. It was just one of those hard truths said out of emotion.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 17 Aug 2017, 07:19

“The longer they talk about identity politics, I got ’em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... n-prospect
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 17 Aug 2017, 10:29

mentalist (slight return) wrote:I'm missing the Mooch. His wise words are needed at a time like this.

:D :D :D --> :lol:

First time ever I returned some of my Cup-a-Soup into the ether again.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 17 Aug 2017, 11:00

sloopjohnc wrote:
That main subject is a bigmouth, ignorant asshole. How come the biggest ignoramuses have the biggest mouths?

Is it genetic oxymoronicism?

Reminds me of that great Simpsons sketch of the Mayor Quimby complaining - "are these morons getting dumber or just louder?"
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 17 Aug 2017, 11:02

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Sickest burn of the night. Ana Marie Cox talking about Heather Hyer's funeral:

"I'm glad he didn't show up and try to give a eulogy. Nobody there needed to hear about his electoral college win."

Mind you...she wasn't joking. It was just one of those hard truths said out of emotion.

Jesus.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 17 Aug 2017, 14:25

THE FILING FEE wrote:“The longer they talk about identity politics, I got ’em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

Fuck that guy. We can talk about trade policy and the fucking Klan at the same time.
:x
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 Aug 2017, 15:16

Count Machuki wrote:
THE FILING FEE wrote:“The longer they talk about identity politics, I got ’em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

Fuck that guy. We can talk about trade policy and the fucking Klan at the same time.

Some of us can. I'm worried that he's right, though - these guys have shown themselves to be really good at misdirection.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 Aug 2017, 15:17

“It’s often forgotten that Lee himself, after the Civil War, opposed monuments, specifically Confederate war monuments,” Jonathan Horn, a Lee biographer, told PBS.

After the Civil War, Lee received a number of letters requesting support for the erection of Confederate memorials, according to Horn.

In June 1866, he wrote that he couldn't support a monument of one of his best generals, Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, saying it wasn't "feasible at this time."

"As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated," Lee wrote in December 1866 about another proposed Confederate monument, "my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the Country, would have the effect of retarding, instead of accelerating its accomplishment; [and] of continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour."

Not only was Lee opposed to Confederate memorials, "he favored erasing battlefields from the landscape altogether," Horn wrote.

He even supported getting rid of the Confederate flag after the Civil War ended, and didn't want them them flying above Washington College, which he was president of after the war.

"Lee did not want such divisive symbols following him to the grave," Horn wrote. "At his funeral in 1870, flags were notably absent from the procession. Former Confederate soldiers marching did not don their old military uniforms, and neither did the body they buried."

“His Confederate uniform would have been ‘treason’ perhaps!” Lee’s daughter wrote, according to Horn.

"Lee believed countries that erased visible signs of civil war recovered from conflicts quicker,” Horn told PBS. “He was worried that by keeping these symbols alive, it would keep the divisions alive."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/here%E2%80%99s-what-robert-e-lee-thought-about-confederate-monuments/ar-AAqdaUZ?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 Aug 2017, 15:34

Charlie O. wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

Some of us can. I'm worried that he's right, though - these guys have shown themselves to be really good at misdirection.

Is it good? It seems like one-trick diversion. Once people get tired of it there's no plan B. I hope! I don't know..

His quote on Ethno-nationalism is Trumpian in its lack of sincerity

He dismissed the far right as irrelevant and sidestepped his own role in cultivating it: “Ethno-nationalism—it's losers. It's a fringe element. I think the media plays it up too much, and we gotta help crush it, you know, uh, help crush it more.”

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 Aug 2017, 16:53

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Aug 2017, 18:35

Count Machuki wrote:

I think this touches on something though so he has a point, sort of.

For too long the left has been focused on identity, gender and race at the expense of class and the economic consequences of class imo. It's why the working class have abandoned the left because the left, in a way, has abandoned them.

People want jobs, people want economic security, that's the bottom line. It's partly why Trump got in.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Aug 2017, 19:07

Goat Boy wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

I think this touches on something though so he has a point, sort of.

For too long the left has been focused on identity, gender and race at the expense of class and the economic consequences of class imo. It's why the working class have abandoned the left because the left, in a way, has abandoned them.

People want jobs, people want economic security, that's the bottom line. It's partly why Trump got in.

It's a very fair point.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 17 Aug 2017, 19:16

It's my fear. It's certainly seemed a lot more clear to me in the past few days.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Aug 2017, 19:25

Goat Boy wrote:For too long the left has been focused on identity, gender and race at the expense of class and the economic consequences of class imo. It's why the working class have abandoned the left because the left, in a way, has abandoned them.

I don't think the left has been focused on that stuff nearly as much as the right has smeared them with being so.

Whenever you hear about, for example, "identity politics" it's inevitably a whiney, annoying student talking about how some Halloween costume hurt her feelings, and that's a brush conservatism uses to smear the left with.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Return to “Nextdoorland”