THE BCB INTERVIEWS: reap

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

THE BCB INTERVIEWS: reap

Postby kath » 12 Jan 2014, 03:44

so, reap... is that the name on yer birth certificate? reap?

Sort of.  The full name on my birth certificate is Antichrist G. Reaper, esq.

i see. anyway, antichrist, when did you first realize you had been born with an electric gweetar lodged up yer ass?

The first song I heard that registered with me on a guttural guitar level was "Destroyer" by The Kinks.  I was 12 when I heard it.  My best friend bought the album it was on and I then heard "Around the Dial".  I was hooked on power chords.  Around the same time I heard some Joan Jett and loved the guitars there as well.  From there, it was on to Aerosmith and Ted Nugent.  A couple of years later I heard my first Zep and it was all over.  The fourth album knocked me on my teenaged butt and it's STILL my favorite album ever.  A year or so after that I heard Montrose's "Rock Candy" and UFO's "Hot 'n' Ready" on the radio.  At this point I was a serious guitar junkie.  Another fond teenage memory:  me, 18, running out to the car to stick "Ace Of Spades" in the cassette player:  I had only heard the title track and "The Chase Is Better Than The Catch".  Me.  Jaw.  Ground.

And I still just love to hear something I haven't heard before that has cranky guitars.  I still get that rush.  Music is a wonderful thing.

it is indeed. what about yer family? i know yer parents aren't hooked on power chords or lemmy. (wellll, yer dad... ya never know about him.) what kinda music did they listen to, and did any of it sink into yer happy place? did their music influence you?

It certainly did.  They have told me a story about how I reacted to music at a very young age.  They had one of those old early 70's console stereo units, one of those things that looked like a huge cedar chest on steroids, probably 3 feet or so tall give or take.  When I was probably 3-ish, if they put a record on to play I would go up to the stereo and want to watch the record while it played.  I was just not quite tall enough to see it at standing height, so I would stand on tiptoe and hook my front teeth on the edge of where the lid shut and just watch transfixed while the record played.  Apparently I referred to this as "watching mookee".  I left many a tooth mark on that stereo.

What did they play?  Lots of Beatles.  One of my earliest memories is hearing "Surfin' Bird", which I just loved to death.  Dad liked some country and some rock 'n' roll, things like Hank Williams, Jr., Chuck Berry, Willie Nelson, the aforementioned Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc.  Mom didn't care for country but liked the same rock 'n' roll that Dad did in addition to things like "The Sound Of Music", Anne Murray and Roger Whittaker.  I did not necessarily groove to all of the above, but somewhere in my sub-conscious it taught me that there are only two kinds of music:  music you like, and music you don't like.

My Dad and I have been to two concerts without my Mom (by her choice):  George Thorogood and Willie Nelson.  We had a blast at both.  Dad loves George Thorogood.  I think this is a chromosomal link to my guitar obsession.

I took Mom and Dad both to see John Fogerty on the first tour he did after deciding to play Creedence songs live again.  He had the Fairfield Four along with him singing background vocals on some of the songs.  "Midnight Special" absolutely moved the Earth that night.  Incredible, stunning show.  Absolutely top 3 favorite concert memory ever (only things above it:  UFO on the Walk On Water tour which was like standing in the middle of Strangers In The NIght, and the second Plant/Page tour which was a total Zepfest).

I am lucky to have parents who turned me on to music.  Love them dearly.

speaking of 80s videos not featuring naughty librarians, what music did you luvv in high school that you just don't care for anymore? what music did you hate then that you dig now?

Short answer:  I liked a lot of hair metal in high school that I can't stand now (Motley Crue, etc.  although I did have the good taste to never, ever like Poison).

I heard some prog back then that I initially could not deal with that I really, really like now:  Van Der Graaf Generator, Genesis, King Crimson (with the exceptions of Schizoid Man and the title track to the first album).

(You didn't think I'd stop with a short answer, did you?)

Long answer:

I think my guitar obsession blurred my musical vision with the hair metal stuff.  I could easily live without a lot of it now.  Krokus's output pretty much sums up my musical taste for those bands - everything they did up to and especially including Headhunter I absolutely love, but once they got past Headhunter they turned into cartoon buffoons.  They have recently gotten it back together, however, and are now cranking mightily for several years in a row.

First concert:  AC/DC & Cinderella - Blow Up Your Video / Long Cold Winter tour.  AC/DC is the definition of rock 'n' roll.  Cinderella:  the debut is hair metal, Long Cold Winter is a work of art. 

Enough said.

that wasn't very long, or very enough. moving on... i used to have fave rock-n-roll fantasies when i was growin up. sometimes, i was bennie from bennie and the jets. sometimes, i was janis, just without the whole dyin part. male groupie slaves were usually involved. cmon... spill. gimme yer fave rock-n-roll fantasy.

Well, this kind of splits into two different categories.  Concerts I never got to see, and guitar superpowers that would let me join and jam with my favorite bands.

I would absolutely sell both kidneys and both calf muscles and possibly my spinal cord to see Zep on the Physical Graffiti tour on a good night.

I would absolutely sell both kidneys to be at the shows where UFO recorded Strangers In The Night.

I would absolutely sell both kidneys and my virtue to see Rainbow on the Rising Tour.

You get the drift.

Most of my "if I could play guitar" fantasies involve me substituting for Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore or Michael Schenker (surprise, surprise, see above......)

And then of course there are the groupie fantasies.  I'll not go into detail except to say that sticks of butter and gymnastics equipment are involved.

oh myyyy. ahem. (she straightens tie, sips coffee.) what gweetarist who died too early do you think the world has missed the most?

Wow.  Great question. 

Has to be Hendrix.  When people like Neil Young say "nobody was in the same building as that guy", you know you have a force of nature on your hands.  "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" is the earliest recorded song that hits my inner hairy caveman guitar player right where he lives.  It's such a shame we didn't get to hear what he would have come up with as the 70's progressed.  I loved where he was going with things like "Room Full Of Mirrors" and "In From The Storm".  He could play exactly what he heard in his head, and that's a very rare thing.  Such a loss.  R.I.P.

Runners-up:

Tommy Bolin.  "Dreamer" all by itself should get the man into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, except that it's headed up by an idiot.  Two excellent albums with James Gang, two excellent solo albums and a Deep Purple album that was better than its predecessor (almost unthinkable replacing Blackmore, but the funk got better).  And that Billy Cobham album he guested on, "Spectrum"......  godly.  I had problems with jazzy stuff in my younger years, but I've gotten past that now (serious nod of the head to G and "Energit") and the last time I listened to "Spectrum" I was blown away.  Had he lived I think we'd be amazed at what he would have done.  R.I.P.

Paul Kossoff:  This man had a guitar cable plugged into his soul.  I love Bad Company for the most part, but I seriously love Free.  Kossoff had a wild, untamed guitar playing spirit that came through in almost everything he ever did.  In a perfect world, he would have gotten himself back together and Free would have reunited and made some more killer albums.  R.I.P.

you've listed yer fave concert memories already, all of em pre-kath. why donchew give us yer three fave with kath, lest you get black-n-bluey, huey.

I apologize profusely and profess my undying and eternal slobbery love in perpetuity.  :)

And of course these intermingle in the favorite concert list.  As the years go by I adjust rankings, mostly to compensate for my crunchy guitar bias.

1.  Gov't Mule - Warren Haynes is God.  Unbelievable show, the first tour after Allen Woody sadly passed away.  Chuck Leavell on piano/keyboards, Widespread Panic dude on bass, killer setlist, a cover of "Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys", what more could you ask for.  And adventures getting there and back - car with a busted radiator hose, walking to the hotel, eating lasagna with my COMB after the show because the restaurant forgot the plastic silverware....  A night for the ages.

2.  Allman Brothers - The funniest part of this is that the day I bought tickets we had been fighting about something I don't even remember now (isn't if funny how that's true of most arguments?).  I decided to mess with you - we were on the phone and I said something like "would tenth row tickets be OK?" and you said "yeah" (replete with argument-inspired-scorn).  I replied "So front row tickets would be better?".  I don't remember exactly what you said, but the argument was over.  This show was on the tour for "Hittin' The Note" and it was unforgettable.  Everything you would ever want to hear the Allmans play, and you caught a drumstick at the end of the show.  Perfect day.

3.  Rush.  Holy CRAP what a show.  We were running late getting there, you were adamant that you didn't want to know the setlist.  I was about to fly apart because I knew the opening song and it was not to be missed. Finally I burst out with "Do you really want to go to your first Rush show and miss Tom Sawyer?"  We made it on time.  This was the "Vapor Trails" tour.  Lots of great old and new stuff and an encore of "Working Man" that had guitar tone Tony Iommi would have been proud of.  Another perfect day.

sniffle. quit distractin me. all this gweetar... if you could play any instrument other than gweetar, what would you play and why?

I'm torn.  I would LOVE to be able to play harmonica.  You got me one for Christmas several years ago and I haven't figured it out yet.  Some of my favorite songs have harmonica as an integral part:  "When The Levee Breaks", "Nobody's Fault But Mine", "Buzzard" by Armageddon (double tracked!!!), "Gimme Shelter", etc.

If push comes to shove though, I think it would be drums.  I'm wound a little tight and I think the drums would provide an excellent outlet for my tension/stress.  Who doesn't want to beat the stuffing out of something inanimate now and then?

not that i'm suggesting calming down is good for yer overall health long term or anything... but just outta curiosity, what would be the one song you'd pick to have played at yer funeral?

Flippant answer:

"That Was The Day My Dead Pet Returned (To Save My Life)" - Alice Cooper

Honest answer:

"Tupelo Honey" - Van Morrison

siiigh. what is yer fave album that i've turned you onto?

That would be, without question, "Tea For The Tillerman" by Cat Stevens.  It has brought me to tears on two separate occasions.  One of the highest musical achievements in history.  And I thank you profusely.

bonus question for ya: what question *should* i have asked yew?

What should you have asked me?

I'm not sure the answer is permissible in mixed company.

oKAYYYY then. <click>
Last edited by kath on 12 Jan 2014, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: THE BCB INTERVIEWS: reap

Postby Jimbo » 12 Jan 2014, 09:15

Front row seats at an Allman's show. :evil:
Question authority.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Jan 2014, 10:03

Gov't Mule doing Low Spark...! Awesome

I love the humour throughout

Robust stuff both of you

Robust stuff!

mwhahaha

x
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 12 Jan 2014, 10:43

-•-• wrote:Gov't Mule doing Low Spark...! Awesome

I love the humour throughout

Robust stuff both of you

Robust stuff!

mwhahaha

x

Absolutely, and seconded with gusto. Again, a great Q & A session, and fine laughs throughout.

Thanks to Kath and Reap.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

NMB

Postby NMB » 12 Jan 2014, 13:06

I loved that. Thanks both.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Jan 2014, 15:46

Excellent questions AND answers but then I would expect nothing less from you two.

I was nodding my head reading your Tommy Bolin choice. In fact it inspired me to take Spectrum on the road this morning to collect my food for the week before the football games. It's usually something jazzy or folky but today I'm blowing the cobwebs out apprpriately!
Last edited by Six String on 12 Jan 2014, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

der nister

Postby der nister » 12 Jan 2014, 15:52

great stuff, kath and reap!
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 13 Jan 2014, 17:22

Most enjoyable: Prog Corner salutes you both.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 13 Jan 2014, 19:45

NMB wrote:I loved that. Thanks both.

Me too. Esp the, shall we call it, interplay? :D
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 13 Jan 2014, 23:18

I'm thinking too many years under that hot alabama sun.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

Nancy
Daft Sod

Postby Nancy » 15 Jan 2014, 02:33

Thanks everyone for the most kind words. It was fun to do and I'm glad to see people enjoying it.

As for the Alabama sun.....

That's not what's responsible. I was dropped on my head as a child more than a few times. Some of them on purpose.

Popsicle. Undertaker. Pummelo. Cyclone.

Time for my meds.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

kath

Postby kath » 17 Jan 2014, 19:46

i'll also add my thanks, while i'm thinkin about it.

however, i wish to add one very important point:

everything is, in fact, reap's fault.

thank yew.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 28 Mar 2016, 12:10

I never saw this one before. It's a laff riot! Reap reminds me of my younger brother. Great stuff.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 19 Apr 2016, 16:57

Great to re-read this.

I think I might start re-reading these, and the DID project as well.

kath

Postby kath » 19 Aug 2016, 20:48

annnnd i've only just spotted this. mwhahaha.

thanks, folk, i will pass it along.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Aug 2016, 04:11

I'm surprised I missed this - I didn't realize it was an old thread until I say zphage's response!

I love youse guys.

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Sep 2016, 20:51

reap wrote: "Tea For The Tillerman" by Cat Stevens.

What an incredible album that is?

Teaser & the Firecat and Mona Bone Jakon are not far behind

What an incredible voice

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 12 Dec 2017, 13:59

A fun read, cheers to both of you. Could've done with being longer too!

These were a good BCB idea. We should revive it in some way.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 23 May 2021, 21:12

A good read. Thanks
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

kath

Postby kath » 23 May 2021, 23:29

50 Shades Of Blue wrote:A good read. Thanks

yer quite welcome.

the funniest thing: we started off with me, tryin to interview him right next to me on the couch. and it was SO not working. mwhaha. we kept crackin up. and finalllly, i told him, look, go three doors down the hall back to yer "office" and i'll email you the questions. we are just not gettin thru this unless you BEHAVE.

and that is how this happened.

i could still hear him down the hall, though.

Return to “BCB Desert Island Discs & BCB Interviews”