Desert Island Disks - The Deebank files

mantochanga

Re: Desert Island Disks - The Deebank files

Postby mantochanga » 28 Mar 2012, 15:39

I might have posted you that Felt book myself, as it's part of a cottage industry publishing house my girlfriend's a part of. Did you pre-order and wait around for months? If so, special thanks!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Mar 2012, 16:01

mantochanga wrote:I might have posted you that Felt book myself, as it's part of a cottage industry publishing house my girlfriend's a part of. Did you pre-order and wait around for months? If so, special thanks!

Great job, I was going to start a thread actually - but I expected deafenning silence :)

I did pre-order being a trusting soul (ie a rube!) and they repaid my trust by getting the book to me in weeks rather than months, so smiles all round from me.

Signed by the man himself too. I'm looking forward to Lawrence of Belgravia, but not sure when I'll get to see it.
Although, like I say, when I read the passage about his old girlfriend it was a dropped bacon sandwich moment. I wonder...
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 28 Mar 2012, 16:20

Lawrence of Belgravia is brilliant! You'll love it. They're showing it in Paris on May 27th and Lawrence is doing a Q&A. Can find out more deets if you think you can make it.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 28 Mar 2012, 18:23

Deebank wrote: We've linked to this many times, but again Julian Cope's appraisal of the mighty Cult is a bast, even if I don;t always agree with his perspectives.

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/blue-oyster-cult-in-your-dreams-or-in-my-hole

that was great. mwhaha.

... Unfortunately, whilst B.O.C. certainly sustained their trip for several years, they ultimately snatched defeat from the jaws of victory simply because the bloodletting possibilities of the band’s massive canine overbite were overwhelmed by the psychic plaque and icky residue of their ever-increasing eclecticism. Gorsh!

... Most mysterious of all the was the high velocity upward ascent of Grand Funk Railroad, whose overly-earnest brothers’n’sisters fodderstomp take on the MC5’s Detroit grudge-grunge soul had catapulted three former backing musicians from Michigan six-times losers The Pack past The Beatles to sell out Shea Stadium’s 50,000 seats even faster than John, Paul, George & Gringo.

... However, the first side of this debut was then rendered patchy firstly by Buck Dharma’s dreary off-metaphor tale “The Last Days of May”, in which college boys get murdered in a drug deal and the singer cares

okay, okay, i'm stopping now. suffice it to say that this, to me, is music-writing.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 28 Mar 2012, 18:39

Copehead wrote:Every album has something worthwhile on with the possible exception of Mirrors which I have never gelled with...

on mirrors: it's got 'dr. music', which is just a real good rock song,... 'in thee', a nice pretty acoustic thingie... and one of their best epics, 'the vigil'... i mean, 'the vigil' is on kath's top ten bitchin BOCce-song list. it kicks all kinds of ass.

could it just be a matter of production? (i say "just" as though production is merely a slight, trivial thing, when it most definitely isn't, particularly if it's suckass production.) the sound is rife with soon-to-be 80sisms. even with lotsa gweetars, much of it is produced into being too declawed and behaved. for example, dr. music i love, but 99 times outta 100 i wanna hear a live version of it cuz it's all amped up and sounds like it should.

but having said all that, i can't remember the rest of the album... oh wait, 'the great sun jester' is on it. i like that one, too. it aint harvester of eyes or anything, but it's got nice gweetars and it's a good rock song, methinks.

production can fog up the fucquin screen so much on an album that lookin thru the window becomes too much of a pain in the ass to bother. but i think it they re-recorded it now, everybody would think a ton better of it. ya know?

then again, maybe people think the songs flatout suck, people other than me. mwhaha.

suddenly i get the feeling i'm hijacking this thread. i really can't help it. BOC doesn't get the credit it deserves. plus, i'm kinda sorta addicted to yapping. ya. i bet y'all couldn't tell.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 28 Mar 2012, 19:26

kath wrote:
Copehead wrote:Every album has something worthwhile on with the possible exception of Mirrors which I have never gelled with...

on mirrors: it's got 'dr. music', which is just a real good rock song,... 'in thee', a nice pretty acoustic thingie... and one of their best epics, 'the vigil'... i mean, 'the vigil' is on kath's top ten bitchin BOCce-song list. it kicks all kinds of ass.

could it just be a matter of production? (i say "just" as though production is merely a slight, trivial thing, when it most definitely isn't, particularly if it's suckass production.) the sound is rife with soon-to-be 80sisms. even with lotsa gweetars, much of it is produced into being too declawed and behaved. for example, dr. music i love, but 99 times outta 100 i wanna hear a live version of it cuz it's all amped up and sounds like it should.

but having said all that, i can't remember the rest of the album... oh wait, 'the great sun jester' is on it. i like that one, too. it aint harvester of eyes or anything, but it's got nice gweetars and it's a good rock song, methinks.

production can fog up the fucquin screen so much on an album that lookin thru the window becomes too much of a pain in the ass to bother. but i think it they re-recorded it now, everybody would think a ton better of it. ya know?

then again, maybe people think the songs flatout suck, people other than me. mwhaha.

suddenly i get the feeling i'm hijacking this thread. i really can't help it. BOC doesn't get the credit it deserves. plus, i'm kinda sorta addicted to yapping. ya. i bet y'all couldn't tell.

Perhaps I will give it another go, I just remember it, and Spectres to a degree, being a bit weedy in the production ( as in underpowered not stoned )

But you could level the poptastic proto 80s production charge at Cultosaurus Erectus and Fire of Unknown Origin and I love them.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Mar 2012, 20:05

Fire Of Unknown Origin was '80s though to be fair.
Police influence in full effect... Well, on Burning For You anyway.... Actually I love - dodgy funk influence alert! - Don't Turn Your Back best these days ... Another stellar solo from BD.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 28 Mar 2012, 20:11

Deebank wrote:Fire Of Unknown Origin was '80s though to be fair.
Police influence in full effect... Well, on Burning For You anyway.... Actually I love - dodgy funk influence alert! - Don't Turn Your Back best these days ... Another stellar solo from BD.

I'm a Vengence ( The Pact ) man myself these days.

A 2xBouchard song although pretty Moorcockian ( his effort is Veteran of the Psychic Wars )

Moorcock Moorcock Michael Moorcock you fervently moan
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Mar 2012, 20:32

Copehead wrote:
Deebank wrote:Fire Of Unknown Origin was '80s though to be fair.

I'm a Vengence ( The Pact ) man myself these days.

A 2xBouchard song although pretty Moorcockian ( his effort is Veteran of the Psychic Wars )

Moorcock Moorcock Michael Moorcock you fervently moan

I do.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Mar 2012, 06:40

Most enjoyable - thank you!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Mar 2012, 10:07

Deebank wrote:Kije remains a favourite, unsullied by Sting’s appropriation of its melody.

I'd forgotten abouth Sting's use of it until you mentioned it. As you say it remains a glorious piece of music despite Sting.

Nice to get a North Wales angle on the 70s/80s music scene and some good music there. I don't play the Cocteau Twins anything like as much as I should these days. Not totally won over by IQ though - the poor man's marillion!

Where was it you said you were born again?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 29 Mar 2012, 12:07

trans-chigley express wrote:
Deebank wrote:Kije remains a favourite, unsullied by Sting’s appropriation of its melody.

I'd forgotten abouth Sting's use of it until you mentioned it. As you say it remains a glorious piece of music despite Sting.

Nice to get a North Wales angle on the 70s/80s music scene and some good music there. I don't play the Cocteau Twins anything like as much as I should these days. Not totally won over by IQ though - the poor man's marillion!

Where was it you said you were born again?

Llanfair PG :)

On paper IQ are a poor man's Marillion certainly. But on record I think they're very different and often much better.
I watched Prog Britannia on iPlayer the other day and while I think most of the music therein is twaddle it was an entertaining romp through the prog era and many of the people involved are still entertaining and don't take themselves too seriously. It was a shame - and a major oversight - that they didn't cover the '80s revival and onwards though.

missmolly

Postby missmolly » 30 Mar 2012, 14:17

Bump :3

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 10 Apr 2012, 22:22

Bump.

Just for Carol...

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 22 Jun 2012, 16:00

Could this be moved to the DID archive please?
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Dec 2017, 14:13

Moleskin wrote:Could this be moved to the DID archive please?

It seems only fair. Admins!
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 23 May 2021, 21:57

Good read . 1st to post comment on thread since NG 9 years ago!
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

Return to “BCB Desert Island Discs & BCB Interviews”