Desert Island Discs - fangedango! - 4th Nov. 2011

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Re: Desert Island Discs - fangedango! - 4th Nov. 2011

Postby Nikki Gradual » 07 Nov 2011, 20:44

never/ever wrote:
Footy wrote:
Thanks for that but I do find the standards being set rather intimidating.

Try it anyway- I bet you've got plenty to tell so put a bit of it in chronological order and whomp 8 tracks inbetween it. I bet the hardest part is to come up with the songs- the stories will flow onto the screen in no time! :)

Don't you worry about Footy and his writing. The old tosser is being typically mysterious. The first time I came away from a jolly-up with one of his CDs and listened to it while reading his "sleevenotes" on a train, I cried, and was so moved that I actually posted here that I did so. Turns out it affected pretty much everyone the same way. So, don't be taken in by him.

As for Fangedango, that was beautiful, too. Great writing, now I am heading back to the top of the thread to listen to the tunes, even the ones I already know (they sound so much better with a back-story in my mind).
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 08 Nov 2011, 09:20

Magnificent read, Angelo. It was great fun making my way through the layers of detail and period references scattered through-out the write-up.
You've clearly gained immense del;ight from those songs and the other assorted musical loves of your life. A fine, fine read.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 08 Nov 2011, 09:33

Fangedango! wrote:
Six String wrote:You mention that some music made you want to pash a girl and even more. No comprende pash?

Ah, to pash was (and maybe still is) an Aussie slang when i was growing up which means to kiss someone passionately. Don't you speak 'Stralian, mate? ;)

This was in today's 'Side-swipe' (e.g assorted oddities) column in today's New Zealand Herald:

Classified in a US newspaper. (Via Criggo) :lol:
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 09 Nov 2011, 20:24

a wonderful read, man. especially yer roots, family, background, all of it, i found the writing so incredibly cool. (yeah, cool is a lame word to use for the feeling i want that combines enlightening and moving, but i had the worst kind of tummy bug all weekend, i'm still kinda feverish, so i'm gonna be as lazy as i damn well please. at least i didn't resort to my ole fave kickass.) that pic is simply gorgeous. and no, i cannot imagine the hardships of living in such a place, what without pizza delivery and a drive-thru liquor store nearby.

and the music... well, what i love is just kickass. stevie's superstition could easily be one of my picks. i love the church, marvin & tammi. even though i have never been a major jazz fan, i have noticed i've become much more receptive as i get older. i kinda dig the coltrane and big john patton. i'm sure every jazz fan will laugh at this, but for some reason, i absolutely love jazz in the context of a movie soundtrack. um. i better shuddup now before i taint yer lovely entry any further.

english and history teacher, huh? cheers.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 11 Dec 2011, 20:13

Bump

should go on the archive
I run out of talent

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Dec 2011, 21:10

This was excellent. I think that, on this board and in life, though many of us like many of the same things, it is very often for wildly different reasons. Reading fangedango's descriptions of AC/DC, John Coltrane, and Big John Patton records, I was struck by how much we must listen to these things the in similar ways and get very similar satisfaction from music. Well done, Brother Angelo! And of course, it's also always interesting to get some biographical details we wouldn't get otherwise.

As for you, footy . . . I'm glad Nikki has called you out. I'm not hearing this self-deprecation! Let's have the goods!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “BCB Desert Island Discs & BCB Interviews”