Desert Island Discs - Minnie - October 30th

savoirefaire
Location: formerly pore of sin...ga!, way of nor and currently pan of Ja!

Re: Desert Island Discs - Minnie - October 30th

Postby savoirefaire » 31 Oct 2011, 15:20

You left out Rufus ! :shock: Needless to say, I enjoyed this DID very much, as I had expected to when I opened the thread. xx
Kid P wrote:*Deleted*
Should have quoted SF

Sneelock wrote:I'm never bored. I'm boring. I think of it as a lifestyle choice!

[img]//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Fundraising_2009-horizontal-thanks-en.png[/img]

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 31 Oct 2011, 16:28

Well done Min - a good read, interesting choices of songs.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 31 Oct 2011, 16:48

A lovely read Anna. Just one thing is infuriating me because I can't see the youtube links due to firewall at work .... what is the 4th song, the one which Anna says is her favourite song of all time? I'm going to guess it's "Another Girl Another Planet", but I am probably hideously wrong!

Can someone put me out of my misery ... ta! :)

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 31 Oct 2011, 16:52

Johnny Fartpants wrote:A lovely read Anna. Just one thing is infuriating me because I can't see the youtube links due to firewall at work .... what is the 4th song, the one which Anna says is her favourite song of all time? I'm going to guess it's "Another Girl Another Planet", but I am probably hideously wrong!

You're correct, sir!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 31 Oct 2011, 17:05

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:A lovely read Anna. Just one thing is infuriating me because I can't see the youtube links due to firewall at work .... what is the 4th song, the one which Anna says is her favourite song of all time? I'm going to guess it's "Another Girl Another Planet", but I am probably hideously wrong!

You're correct, sir!

And you are also correct Madame ... anyone who doesn't love that song is brain dead. ;)

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 31 Oct 2011, 19:18

sigh. wonderfully written and a pleasure to read (as minnie style will be).

it's interesting to me that no matter the musical divergences we have~~and as far as punk goes, i'm in a minority of one on this board when it comes to missing that banged up boat til later~~we have all sorts of crossovers, you and i. sometimes it'll be in major ways (say, all things cocteau) and sometimes minor (we'll both adore one song on a certain album that everyone else hates, heh).

so i guess it shouldn't surprise me that when you do put up tracks alien to me, i'm gonna dig most of them.* another girl another planet: i've never heard it, loved it. hiroshima mon amour: i've never heard it, loved it (i can tell i *should've* heard it in college, but it sounds completely unfamiliar.) nightnurse: how cool is this thing?? mwhaha. i had to go look up the lyrics to make sure i was hearing em right.

no need to talk about gary or tony. extra special no need on said cocteaus. you already know how i feel about them.

(spinning like a catherine wheel... is that like a wheel of fortune wheel, just vertical? like doing cartwheels? at least i hope you didn't mean you were stuck on some medieval torture device.)

of course, once i got to yer "gloop" section, i was a goner. i was overwhelmed with gloopiness. it is of profound importance that i don't start discussing the wonder of yer gloopy situation, if only so i refrain from unnecessary digressions into the wonderful world of gloop and in so doing, reduce myself to a pile of bubbly mushy gloop yet again. sniffle.

*there's nothing you can do about my paul anka problem. i heard "yer having my baby" first. there's my paul anka problem, in a nutshell.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 31 Oct 2011, 19:35

Kath, if I have introduced you to the joy of the Only Ones I consider that all worth the two hours it took to write it!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 31 Oct 2011, 20:26

Loved this.

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 31 Oct 2011, 22:56

Lovely. Well, the words were; some of the music -- though certainly not all of it -- does nowt for me but that's not really the point of DID is it? You really did have to be there. Cracking writing, though. First rate stuff. And I love the Richard Hawley track :-)

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 01 Nov 2011, 00:55

You have raised the bar that was already set high. Very nice.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

RcL

Postby RcL » 01 Nov 2011, 01:46

Minnie the Minx wrote:
I had my own 'Cars' dance which involved dancing round the sofa from cushion to cushion like an animated robot, wearing my leotard. I would borrow my mothers foundation and eyeliner for the full Numan look, and as a portly nine year old I must have cut a fascinating sight for anyone looking through the window.

I was another portly nine year old with a choreographed dance (mine was for Cockney Rebel's 'Death Trip' - probably not the best choice of song for a kid!). No leotard was involved though. Great choices and enjoyable read, Anna. I was one of the people Deebank mentions who felt the Cocteaus waned from the late 80s. Have changed my mind over the years. They're consistently good from beginning to end.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 03 Nov 2011, 10:21

Just punting this back up to the top of pg 1 because it's a great read and maybe you (YES, YOU!) missed it the first time around.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Nov 2011, 17:05

Nice one Anna. I was not as tuned in as Rebecca was to the mood of the SF Jolly but I caught on quickly enough and you two make a lovely couple and I wish the absolute best to your future.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Nov 2011, 18:26

Thanks all. Compiling this brought me an enormous amount of pleasure.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Nov 2011, 20:21

Minnie the Minx wrote:Thanks all. Compiling this brought me an enormous amount of pleasure.

This was quite evident based on your written word.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 05 Nov 2011, 00:08

Thank you for this, Anna. The image of you, your brother and mum listening to Ultravox then flipping the record is beautiful - as was everything here.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 05 Nov 2011, 23:17

Oh, I love this series so much. Beautifully written, and the punk reminiscences were very enjoyable. Pleased to see that someone else on here obsesses over Foxx-era Ultravox. Lovely!

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 06 Nov 2011, 14:20

great stuff
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Return to “BCB Desert Island Discs & BCB Interviews”