Film Club

A repository for saving film threads.
User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53028
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Film Club revisited

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Jan 2008, 22:10

There won't be any bickering in this film club, will there? :|
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29646
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Film Club revisited

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Jan 2008, 22:12

Snarfyguy wrote:There won't be any bickering in this film club, will there? :|


Don't worry, I won't be around to spoil the party.
I mean, gosh--I'd hate to actually use the wrong adjective to refer to a film and ruin someone's day and all.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23748
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Film Club revisited

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 08 Jan 2008, 22:33

Wilson Schmilson wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:There won't be any bickering in this film club, will there? :|


Don't worry, I won't be around to spoil the party.
I mean, gosh--I'd hate to actually use the wrong adjective to refer to a film and ruin someone's day and all.


Your mother really should have breast fed.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

Sneelock

Re: Film Club revisited

Postby Sneelock » 08 Jan 2008, 23:07

she did. I have home movies. I file them under "Action"

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23748
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Film Club revisited

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 08 Jan 2008, 23:09

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29646
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Film Club revisited

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Jan 2008, 23:44

Well I will say that having seen the footage of Snee's Mom breast feeding recently, the violence is no less visceral now than ever. But those mammaries will never shock you or I the way they once did simply because we've seen them and we know not only that they're coming - but how they will be depicted.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14465
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Film Club revisited

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 09 Jan 2008, 00:22

Sounds like a great idea. The River is one of my favourite films, also based on a Rumer Godden novel. And I love what I've seen of The Archers work. And have never seen Black Narcissus. Harumph! Just need to locate a DVD of it.
king of the divan

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43018
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Film Club revisited

Postby LeBaron » 09 Jan 2008, 01:05

Perhaps the thread title could be amended with the next flick and the date . . . Film Club Black Narcissus January 25 or some such?
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Modernist

Re: Film Club revisited- Black Narcissus 25/2/08

Postby The Modernist » 22 Jan 2008, 22:25

Just a bump to remind everyone.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23748
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Film Club revisited- Black Narcissus 25/2/08

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Jan 2008, 22:26

The Modernist! wrote:Just a bump to remind everyone.


About Matt's mother? ;)
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53028
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Film Club revisited- Black Narcissus 25/2/08

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 Jan 2008, 22:29

The Modernist! wrote:Just a bump to remind everyone.

Thanks, I'll see if my rental shop has it this evening.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14465
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Film Club revisited- Black Narcissus 25/2/08

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 22 Jan 2008, 23:25

Let me jump the gun and say the Technicolor is amazing. Those sensual reds, and the whites.
king of the divan

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43018
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Film Club revisited- Black Narcissus 25/2/08

Postby LeBaron » 22 Jan 2008, 23:54

I might be stupid, but I read it as being February 25. Yeah?
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14465
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Film Club revisited- Black Narcissus 25/2/08

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 22 Jan 2008, 23:58

Yeah it does say Feb 25. However the Friday suggests January. Who knows ...
king of the divan

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27470
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Film Club revisited- Black Narcissus 25/2/08

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Jan 2008, 00:22

OK, I love love love this film, and want to discuss it. However it clearly states February. I will not be ready in 3 days.

So, is February accurate? Or if it's meant to be January, can we compromise and change the date to something in between?
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

The Modernist

Re: Film Club revisited- Black Narcissus 25/2/08

Postby The Modernist » 23 Jan 2008, 00:27

mentalist wrote:Yeah it does say Feb 25. However the Friday suggests January. Who knows ...


:oops: I meant this Friday.

The Modernist

Re: Film Club revisited- Black Narcissus 1/2/08

Postby The Modernist » 23 Jan 2008, 00:35

toomanyhatz wrote:OK, I love love love this film, and want to discuss it. However it clearly states February. I will not be ready in 3 days.

So, is February accurate? Or if it's meant to be January, can we compromise and change the date to something in between?


Yes that would be sensible I guess given that I confused everyone.
OK we'll say 1/2/08..a week this Friday.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53028
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Film Club revisited- Black Narcissus 1/2/08

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Jan 2008, 00:49

The Modernist! wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:OK, I love love love this film, and want to discuss it. However it clearly states February. I will not be ready in 3 days.

So, is February accurate? Or if it's meant to be January, can we compromise and change the date to something in between?


Yes that would be sensible I guess given that I confused everyone.
OK we'll say 1/2/08..a week this Friday.

Speaking of confusion, 1/2/08 means January 2nd over here!

I'll wait and rent it next week.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

The Modernist

Re: Film Club revisited- Black Narcissus 1st of Feb.

Postby The Modernist » 23 Jan 2008, 01:20

Snarfyguy wrote:
The Modernist! wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:OK, I love love love this film, and want to discuss it. However it clearly states February. I will not be ready in 3 days.

So, is February accurate? Or if it's meant to be January, can we compromise and change the date to something in between?


Yes that would be sensible I guess given that I confused everyone.
OK we'll say 1/2/08..a week this Friday.

Speaking of confusion, 1/2/08 means January 2nd over here!

.

Oh fuck it! I forget about that.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53028
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Film Club revisited- Black Narcissus 1st of Feb

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Jan 2008, 02:41

:lol:
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.