Film Club: The Straight Story

A repository for saving film threads.
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 13 Jun 2007, 08:07

Davey the fat bo. Y wrote:
mentalist (slight return) wrote: Lynch rarely does movies with very straight stories. Yet this narrative is as straight and linear and un-surreal as they come. It was even done with Disney.

I thnk the film's most absurd moment was the very beginning when the credits flashed, "Walt Disney pictures presents"......"A Film by David Lynch".

I couldn't help but smile.

I reckon he was smiling as well :) Proving maybe that he can direct a straight story himself, and do it really well.

There's lots of straightness, the rows of corn or potatoes (or whatever the crops were), the straight roads. The whole purpose of visiting his brother is very direct. From life to death is a straightness you can't ignore. I know I'm over-egging this argument immensely, but what the heck.

There's a certain parallel between Alvin Straight's journey and that of getting a film made. You have to be pretty single minded, stubborn and determined to get a film made, just as you would riding a mower a few hundred miles to visit your dying brother. I dunno, just throwing the idea out there.
king of the divan

The Modernist

Re: Film Club: The Straight Story

Postby The Modernist » 13 Aug 2010, 12:21

bump for moving.

Return to “Film Vault”