(Grand) Parenting

As it says on the tin. Contains the In Memoriam, birthday greetings and splicing announcements of this community.
Six String

Re: (Grand) Parenting

Postby Six String » 16 Feb 2010, 22:59

Prez! wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:At seventeen and with a father-to-be apparently not interested, this is a bit of shocking news.
To me.

I sincerely hope all of you can work it out for the better.
I wish you all courage.

Thankyou.
This was the sort of thing I thought happened to other people. I began doubting our abilities as parents, but littlun needs our support & she will get that, in spades.
We will face this as a family, she may not have a partner, but she has a family that loves her.

This is the crux of the whole thing. Sticking together and supporting each other will carry you through this.
As you say, worse things can happen to people and with your support your daughter will get through this as well. Time changes everything so who knows what this young man's thoughts are come August. His reaction may not be what you want at the moment but he's young. He might just need a little more time to process this situation. If he has a good heart, he'll come around I'm sure. If not, your daughter is surrounded by a family that cares about her.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce

Postby Prez! » 17 Feb 2010, 11:04

Snarfyguy wrote:
Prez! wrote:the father (who, at 20 years of age will remain nameless) is not in the slightest bit interested...

My hat's off to you for refraining from crucifying the kid.

My wifes best mates husband is 6 foot 3, and has access to a couple of baseball bats. He offered to go round this guys house with me & 'have a little word' with him. While I saw the immediate therapeutic appeal to this, in the long run I want the guy on side (ie. I want some maintanance out of him).

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 17 Feb 2010, 11:12

He doesn't have much choice about the maintenance and if he denied paternity, it wouldn't be hard to prove.

As I said before (and Ken too), the birth cert issue is important but regardless of what happens there, he will have to pay up.

There's no point in taking arms up against him ;) but I wouldn't worrying about keeping him sweet because of a fear that he won't pay - he has to.

You can chat to the Child Support Agency and a lawyer too - it will give you more peace of mind.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Feb 2010, 17:37

Prez! wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
Prez! wrote:the father (who, at 20 years of age will remain nameless) is not in the slightest bit interested...

My wifes best mates husband is 6 foot 3, and has access to a couple of baseball bats. He offered to go round this guys house with me & 'have a little word' with him. While I saw the immediate therapeutic appeal to this, in the long run I want the guy on side (ie. I want some maintanance out of him).

Oh I'm sure.

Six String's comments just above are really much more appropriate than mine, sorry.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Feb 2010, 19:40

Prez! wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

My wifes best mates husband is 6 foot 3, and has access to a couple of baseball bats. He offered to go round this guys house with me & 'have a little word' with him. While I saw the immediate therapeutic appeal to this, in the long run I want the guy on side (ie. I want some maintenance out of him).

I'd probably end up doing what you're doing, but man, would I love taking a Louisville Slugger to the guy's ribcage to do a little persuading.

When I was much younger, I got my girlfriend pregnant. She was not ready for kids, nor was I.

But the decision was up to her, in the end. I volunteered to go with her to Planned Parenthood, but apparently I wasn't supportive enough in her eyes, so it pretty much broke us up.

More than 20 years later, we're still friends, so I guess we got that going for us.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Teabag
The docker's delight

Postby Teabag » 06 Mar 2010, 14:34

Hi Matt,

I don't usually dive this deep down the BCB board menu. Don't know what made me do it this time and end up opening this thread but I'm glad I did.

Ash has the best start in life as a parent because she has you and Mrs Prez in support. After 30 years working in education I have seen a lot of young people get into this situation. It is their fear of family ostracism that weighs on their minds the most. Full marks to you and yours for your supportive attitude. I assure you, she loves you for it from the bottom of her heart.

Hey, I've met you. I know you are a lovely person. You'll be a superb granddad, even though it may be a tad sooner than expected. Please do whatever you can to enable Ash to continue her studies and get on in life as an individual and a parent. I'm sure you will.

And play Southside when you are cuddling that grandkid of yours, ok? Sing the blues with soul to him/her, so he/she gets raised right, ok? Van too! :D
I could be wrong. I usually am.

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce

Postby Prez! » 07 Mar 2010, 14:57

Teabag wrote:Hi Matt,

And play Southside when you are cuddling that grandkid of yours, ok? Sing the blues with soul to him/her, so he/she gets raised right, ok? Van too! :D

Ash has already asked me to do a couple if cd's for when she goes into labour, she wanted "May You Never" by John Martyn to be the opener.
I've got four months to root through my collection!

Teabag
The docker's delight

Postby Teabag » 08 Mar 2010, 15:25

P! wrote:Ash has already asked me to do a couple if cd's for when she goes into labour, she wanted "May You Never" by John Martyn to be the opener.

"If you build, it he/she will come"

1. May You Never (John Martyn) - Ash
2. Closer To Fine (Indigo Girls) - Teabag

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 11 Mar 2010, 07:19

1. May You Never (John Martyn) - Ash
2. Closer To Fine (Indigo Girls) - Teabag
3. Life's What You Make It- Talk Talk
4. Push It (Salt -N - Pepa) - Hugh

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce

Postby Prez! » 26 Mar 2010, 16:15

Ashleigh had her twenty week scan this week. Her and the baby are doing very well, the Consultant doesn't want to see her again until week 36. I'll scan her scan picture in later.
The good news is, it's a girl!

Teabag
The docker's delight

Postby Teabag » 09 Apr 2010, 15:41

Prez! wrote:Ashleigh had her twenty week scan this week. Her and the baby are doing very well, the Consultant doesn't want to see her again until week 36. I'll scan her scan picture in later.
The good news is, it's a girl!

Good news that all is well. Health and happiness are the best things in life.

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 26 Apr 2010, 23:40

I'm glad I stopped by here - I have been thinking about your wee family.

I'm glad to hear all is well. Ashleigh must be doing a good job! And a girl - how lovely.

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce

Postby Prez! » 28 Apr 2010, 14:35

I'm no expert, but it's in there somewhere, all fit & healthy.
I think I'm having all the emotional, hormonal stuff, Ash is just so damn calm. Another midwife appontment for her tomorrow, mum's going with her as I've got to wait in for the plumber!
I'm just so proud of my little Girl.

tweetybird

Postby tweetybird » 29 Apr 2010, 22:45

Matt,
Knowing how much you love your family, what a proud father you are, I'm sure your daughter and granddaughter will be just fine.
I can't tell much from the scan, but she seems to be resting easy. That's a good sign, no?
I'd have said "take care", but you're already doing that. Much happiness to all of you.
Quaco wrote: Life isn't always fun, but it's the only open pub in a ghost town. What else is there to do?

Teabag
The docker's delight

Postby Teabag » 22 Jul 2010, 14:04

Prez! wrote: I've got to wait in for the plumber!

Uh-oh! Haven't you learnt how to change your bag by yourself yet? :lol:

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce

Postby Prez! » 26 Jul 2010, 15:15

Teabag wrote:
Prez! wrote: I've got to wait in for the plumber!

Uh-oh! Haven't you learnt how to change your bag by yourself yet? :lol:

Believe me, I feel my age at the moment! :D

tweetybird

Postby tweetybird » 18 Aug 2010, 16:00

I'm hearing the stork has visited... Congratulations all.
Quaco wrote: Life isn't always fun, but it's the only open pub in a ghost town. What else is there to do?

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 18 Aug 2010, 17:29

It's wonderful but it's a shame to have such an annoucement here.

Congrats to everyone! I hope everything went well for Ash.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 19 Aug 2010, 10:41

Beebsy wrote:It's wonderful but it's a shame to have such an annoucement here.

Agreed. I hope Matt makes a full announcement in Nextdoorland. He's probably too knackered at the moment.

Congratulations to all.

Return to “Births, Marriages & Deaths”