Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

As it says on the tin. Contains the In Memoriam, birthday greetings and splicing announcements of this community.
User avatar
Evil Dave
The 2nd most evil man in Cumbria.
Posts: 516
Joined: 21 Jul 2004, 15:13
Location: 300 miles outside of the clique

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby Evil Dave » 29 Aug 2008, 20:45

I don't post that often and I'm not particularly good at this, but
These past few days have been so upsetting, I know Jane (Sensi) is feeling just as sad if not worse than me, the mood in our house is really sombre, we have had no music on at all, the TV is switched off, our two boys have been really considerate in that although they don't know him they are aware that their parents have been affected by the passing of a young man called Alastair.

I’m a hardened shipyard worker allegedly, have been for over 26 years, now this is a tough environment where men are not weak, where men don’t have problems and where men certainly don’t cry.
These days I work in an office and fortunately this week I’m alone in that office. I say fortunately, because I’m crumbling, tears well up in my eyes throughout the day and I have to struggle and try to compose myself when somebody knocks on the door.

If I hadn’t met Ali in person would if I feel quite as upset as I do?

York Jolly Up March 15th 2008
All we had was a quiet chat in a corner, just me and Ali, for about 25 minutes, it was like talking into the mirror, not that we looked alike, god no, I looked like a fortysomething vagrant that had just walked in off the street whereas he was a fresh faced handsome young man with an athletic physique. But he reminded me of how I was when I was about his age, very quiet, occasionally stuttering and stammering through the conversation, not making too much eye contact and just that bit of nervousness when meeting new company. To me he had an instant likeability. He talked with passion and entheusiasm for the the music he liked and promised to send me some stuff he thought I might like. I mentioned that it was really good of him to drive ALB and Fartpants down from Teeside, he said he didn't mind not having a drink and he loved driving it's what he did for a living anyway. When the time came for the Teesiders to leave I remember saying that it was lovely to meet him and looked forward the the next time we'd get together.

Regardless of what kind of music he championed or what his views were on any given subject, I would defy anybody that met him not to realise that he was a genuinely lovely lad.
It’s still really upsetting to me and its such a tragic waste.

Just to add these are not just sentiments on reflection after the terrible news we received this week, these are the thoughts and feelings I expressed to Jane the day after meeting Ali in york.

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 29 Aug 2008, 21:35

incredibly upsetting, even more so when reading the touching memories of those that met him.

the two pictures posted by molony joy and evil dave are extremely poignant.

how fragile the human psyche is...

Johnny Fartpants

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 29 Aug 2008, 21:36

I was going to post this last night, but I'd been drinking and I thought maybe I was just being a sad, maudlin old bastard, but I'm still thinking about it today ...

I was out in Manchester last night. On my own as usual, but I know a few good pubs and I don't mind my own company. I was already feeling a bit emotional for obvious reasons, and having just had a text and voicemail exchange with Griff, who had told me that things were looking much more positive for Natalia. I had probably already had about 3 or 4 pints, and I was sitting in a small pub called Cask on Liverpool Road, which has that oh so rare combination these days of decent beer and a cracking jukebox.

So I was sitting in the corner by myself, trying not to think too much and listening to the music ... when Transmission by Joy Division came on. I love that song anyway, probably my favourite Joy Division song. But when you think of what Ian Curtis did to himself ... the combination of that song, and the poignancy of the moment ...

I had to leave the pub. It is just such a waste.

User avatar
Butch Manly
Utter Cad
Posts: 51241
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby Butch Manly » 29 Aug 2008, 23:21

Lovely posts, Dave and Mark.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29662
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 30 Aug 2008, 00:07

Evil Dave wrote:I don't post that often and I'm not particularly good at this, but
These past few days have been so upsetting, I know Jane (Sensi) is feeling just as sad if not worse than me, the mood in our house is really sombre, we have had no music on at all, the TV is switched off, our two boys have been really considerate in that although they don't know him they are aware that their parents have been affected by the passing of a young man called Alastair.

I’m a hardened shipyard worker allegedly, have been for over 26 years, now this is a tough environment where men are not weak, where men don’t have problems and where men certainly don’t cry.
These days I work in an office and fortunately this week I’m alone in that office. I say fortunately, because I’m crumbling, tears well up in my eyes throughout the day and I have to struggle and try to compose myself when somebody knocks on the door.

If I hadn’t met Ali in person would if I feel quite as upset as I do?

York Jolly Up March 15th 2008
All we had was a quiet chat in a corner, just me and Ali, for about 25 minutes, it was like talking into the mirror, not that we looked alike, god no, I looked like a fortysomething vagrant that had just walked in off the street whereas he was a fresh faced handsome young man with an athletic physique. But he reminded me of how I was when I was about his age, very quiet, occasionally stuttering and stammering through the conversation, not making too much eye contact and just that bit of nervousness when meeting new company. To me he had an instant likeability. He talked with passion and entheusiasm for the the music he liked and promised to send me some stuff he thought I might like. I mentioned that it was really good of him to drive ALB and Fartpants down from Teeside, he said he didn't mind not having a drink and he loved driving it's what he did for a living anyway. When the time came for the Teesiders to leave I remember saying that it was lovely to meet him and looked forward the the next time we'd get together.

Regardless of what kind of music he championed or what his views were on any given subject, I would defy anybody that met him not to realise that he was a genuinely lovely lad.
It’s still really upsetting to me and its such a tragic waste.

Just to add these are not just sentiments on reflection after the terrible news we received this week, these are the thoughts and feelings I expressed to Jane the day after meeting Ali in york.


Dave - thank you for that absolutely lovely post.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Jock
Posts: 9284
Joined: 31 Dec 2005, 10:59
Location: Guid aul' Killie

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby Jock » 30 Aug 2008, 00:58

Dave and Mark. You say what I'm feeling. I just don't have the words.
Always Cheated Never Defeated

User avatar
Jock
Posts: 9284
Joined: 31 Dec 2005, 10:59
Location: Guid aul' Killie

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby Jock » 30 Aug 2008, 01:02

Evil Dave wrote:I don't post that often and I'm not particularly good at this, but
These past few days have been so upsetting, I know Jane (Sensi) is feeling just as sad if not worse than me, the mood in our house is really sombre, we have had no music on at all, the TV is switched off, our two boys have been really considerate in that although they don't know him they are aware that their parents have been affected by the passing of a young man called Alastair.

I’m a hardened shipyard worker allegedly, have been for over 26 years, now this is a tough environment where men are not weak, where men don’t have problems and where men certainly don’t cry.
These days I work in an office and fortunately this week I’m alone in that office. I say fortunately, because I’m crumbling, tears well up in my eyes throughout the day and I have to struggle and try to compose myself when somebody knocks on the door.

If I hadn’t met Ali in person would if I feel quite as upset as I do?

York Jolly Up March 15th 2008
All we had was a quiet chat in a corner, just me and Ali, for about 25 minutes, it was like talking into the mirror, not that we looked alike, god no, I looked like a fortysomething vagrant that had just walked in off the street whereas he was a fresh faced handsome young man with an athletic physique. But he reminded me of how I was when I was about his age, very quiet, occasionally stuttering and stammering through the conversation, not making too much eye contact and just that bit of nervousness when meeting new company. To me he had an instant likeability. He talked with passion and entheusiasm for the the music he liked and promised to send me some stuff he thought I might like. I mentioned that it was really good of him to drive ALB and Fartpants down from Teeside, he said he didn't mind not having a drink and he loved driving it's what he did for a living anyway. When the time came for the Teesiders to leave I remember saying that it was lovely to meet him and looked forward the the next time we'd get together.

Regardless of what kind of music he championed or what his views were on any given subject, I would defy anybody that met him not to realise that he was a genuinely lovely lad.
It’s still really upsetting to me and its such a tragic waste.

Just to add these are not just sentiments on reflection after the terrible news we received this week, these are the thoughts and feelings I expressed to Jane the day after meeting Ali in york.

***
Always Cheated Never Defeated

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43097
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby LeBaron » 30 Aug 2008, 02:03

Oh sweet Jesus.
Horrific.
:cry:
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
randy_lavanga
Posts: 2338
Joined: 19 Sep 2003, 14:13
Location: Everythere

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby randy_lavanga » 30 Aug 2008, 04:46

I can only echo what everyone here has said. As usual my thoughts and feelings are put into writing a lot better by others.

RIP Alistair, there might have been some as good, there wasn't any better. I can only hope his nearest and dearest are coping ok.

If there is a get-togther in Alistair's memory, I'd be honoured to attend.
Image All around us everything is blazing but our lips are ice...

no one

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby no one » 30 Aug 2008, 06:28

JKruppa just informed me about this thread and what happened........i'm upset cuz i can't remember what he and i had talked about.......i can remember his avatar and i know for sure that he and i have PMed a couple of times, but for the life of me, i can't remember what was said........this is bothering me very much....i can't find anything in my inbox or sent box......he recently changed his name to Tom Violence?........there's nothing that says that, either.......it was sometime last year, i know that.......i feel like i need to know what the contents of my exchanges with him were, that it's important.......this is a weird feeling....i don't like it....i hate that i get people mixed up in my mind a lot, especially if i'm not in regular contact with the community.....i tend to confuse details, and of course, it doesn't help that people change their screen names like they change their underwear.......i just know that any time we corresponded, it was pleasant and he was always courteous to me.....

poor guy :(

The Modernist

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby The Modernist » 30 Aug 2008, 13:14

Tom Violence is actually on-line right now with the same avator!! :shock:

I've pm'ed him to see what's going on..this seems too much to hope for.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35032
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby PENK » 30 Aug 2008, 13:15

I was just about to ask why he was online, too. Strange.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67263
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Aug 2008, 13:16

WHAT!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

The Modernist

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby The Modernist » 30 Aug 2008, 13:18

Twist and Penk! wrote:I was just about to ask why he was online, too. Strange.


Whoever it is has now gone back offine - this is really odd.
I looked up their details and they seemed to have about the right post count too. Perhaps it's one of his friends or something. I feel like I've seen a ghost.
I'll pm Paul who can find out the details of who exactly was logging in.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35032
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby PENK » 30 Aug 2008, 13:20

Modernist The Duck! wrote:
Twist and Penk! wrote:I was just about to ask why he was online, too. Strange.


Whoever it is has now gone back offine - this is really odd.
I looked up their details and they seemed to have about the right post count too. Perhaps it's one of his friends or something. I feel like I've seen a ghost.
I'll pm Paul who can find out the details of who exactly was logging in.


It was definitely the same login, I looked too and the posting history was the same.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

User avatar
Django
Posts: 13369
Joined: 28 Sep 2004, 14:33
Contact:

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby Django » 30 Aug 2008, 13:23

Could be his parents have received Jane's letter and are having a look at the site, and he left himself logged on at the computer?

User avatar
Butch Manly
Utter Cad
Posts: 51241
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby Butch Manly » 30 Aug 2008, 13:24

Django, God love him. wrote:Could be his parents have received Jane's letter and are having a look at the site, and he left himself logged on at the computer?


That was my thought.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

User avatar
The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14921
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 30 Aug 2008, 13:25

That'd have to be it surely.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67263
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Aug 2008, 13:32

The Smamfy wrote:Last active: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:23 pm

IP address in Germany.


:?:

Oh fuck.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14921
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 30 Aug 2008, 13:33

Hmmmmm.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?